Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 October 2004, 03:55   #61
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 483
Westher and Sched Update

The forecast remains valid except that the Wednesday/Thursday low is deeper than first it seemed and the blow is going to be stronger. Wednesday wind could get up to 40 knots and Thursday around 35. Even on Friday it is still up there in the 30s from the SW.

As a result we have slipped the programme by 24 hours and if we still go we will set off on Saturday. By then the low is centred on Brittany and it's heading south. By Sunday it should be over Vigo and by Monday the UK is covered with a sprawly high. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are now all looking OK.
__________________

__________________
Mike G
Mike Garside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2004, 06:40   #62
Member
 
qcamel's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Unfortunately due to the change of dates I am unable to make this trip. I have commitments in Newcastle early on Tuesday and cannot see myself managing to make them on time.

Hope you all have a great time and look forward to hearing about it on your return.

Please count me in for any plans in more settled weather next summer.
__________________

__________________
Ollie
qcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2004, 09:43   #63
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 673
Just to confirm Mike's forecast, check out this link to the Medium Range Forecast website for details of Saturdays weather

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/foreca...!2004102600!!/

If you are 50/50 as to whether to go then ECMWF are the dogs at forecasting and this forecast should be good news for everyone leaving the Solent.

Cheers

Mark
__________________
MarkWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2004, 10:49   #64
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,459
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey
Just to confirm Mike's forecast, check out this link to the Medium Range Forecast website for details of Saturdays weather


If you are 50/50 as to whether to go then ECMWF are the dogs at forecasting and this forecast should be good news for everyone leaving the Solent.

Cheers

Mark
Mark, WHEN, and as we are not going all the way we do wish to see you off
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2004, 12:13   #65
Member
 
Country: Other
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garside
As a result we have slipped the programme by 24 hours and if we still go we will set off on Saturday.
This MAY be good news for me.

Is there anybody else going from the Solent who needs to get back to work for Monday i.e. do the crossing to St Malo on the Saturday, have an early night with a cup of cocoa and an improving book, and return on the Sunday while others head up to Dinan.

(Haven't had my pass stamped yet as Mrs W's attending a wedding...)
__________________
Bittentobuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2004, 12:45   #66
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 483
Brian, it may well be that we now don't go up to Dinan. Charles is leading this thing and he has to get home Sunday night for a working Monday. Instead we may just tool along the coast from bar to bar on Sunday before coming back Sunday or Monday.
__________________
Mike G
Mike Garside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2004, 15:29   #67
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 443
Mmmmmmmmm

Well looking at the latest forcasts looks like even us 6 mtr people may get across the Channel .... though for my part, not as far South as St Malo. It will take me to long - Not enough daylight at this time of year and the weather a bit too fickle.
However may well do Alderney or Cherbourg (or Boulogne) on Sat/Sun or Mon/Tue. It depends how the Low behaves and provided it doesn't do a last minute change! Friday night decision by the look of it!

Watching the weather with interest.

Mike C
__________________
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2004, 09:35   #68
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,082
We have to make a decision tonight on wether we drive back from the Lakes for this or not. Still keen but the weather looks a bit grim.
__________________
simmons0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2004, 09:58   #69
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 673
Simmons0

The weather for Saturday is a whole lot better than Friday, with the low moving south and should be into the Bay of Biscay.

According to my web sites, 0700 Saturday there should be F3 winds on the south coast with a slight increase to F4 around the Channel Islands.

And according to the Met Office site it will be bright sunshine so I'll be packing be factor 5 and Rayban's

Cheers

Mark
__________________
MarkWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2004, 11:59   #70
Member
 
Country: Other
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 411
Apologies for the pfaffing about, but I'm afraid I'm out.

Mrs W went into a complete Sybil Fawlty meltdown last night, when I enquired whether it would be possible to make a few adjustments to a family wedding itinerary that she had planned for this weekend. I was deemed to be "completely selfish" when I wanted to go Sailing (yup ! ) all Saturday & Sunday.

So that's that avenue of pleasure closed off, along with a few others I suspect...

I agree with Usama; bit of slop left from the gales, but weather looks to to be improving for the weekend.

Safe passage everyone and have a litre or two for me.

ATB

Brian
__________________

__________________
Bittentobuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.