Old 28 October 2011, 21:50   #1

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: 3.3,75
St Kilda

Has anyone done the trip to St Kilda in a 5.5m Rib ?

We are after any pointers / advice , like where best to depart from etc ?#

Best Time of year ?

What extras might we need ?

Already have :-
Lifejackets & Waterproofs
Flares
Aux engine
radio
chartplotter + Spare Satnav
Depthsounder
2 anchors
compass
Spare Propellor (Main Engine) + Spanner
Laminated charts of the area
Air Pump + Repair Kit
Engine Spares (Plugs ,Fuel pump Diaphram, Shear pins for aux, Fuses)
Basic Toolkit (Pliers , screwrivers , small socket set , adjustable spanner)

What would the Expected Fuel consumption figures be etc. 75hp 2 stroke.

Or is anyone else planning a trip there next year between May and August.

Alan.
Old 28 October 2011, 22:42   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi if you do a search you will find numerous threads on the subject that may help. It will give you a few folk to contact re the trip.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2011, 22:47   #3

Town: STORNOWAY
Make: HUMBER
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 YAM HPDI
Hi there,
I'm from stornoway on the isle of Lewis.
Best time of year is may or late aug / September in the islands, if the past 5 years is anything to go with.
Quickest way to reach st Kilda is to set off from either north uist, or leverburgh in Harris. It's around 40 miles from uist and 50 from leverburgh in Harris.
To travel to Harris or uist from the south you take the ferry from the isle of Skye, although can be quite expensive (calmac ferries) so you'd have to weigh up fuel costs for rib versus ferry.

As far as equipment is concerned, I'd bring camping equipment as a back up, i.e weather change , boat / engine problem.
I'd also make sure you have a sea anchor or drogue, first aid kit, and some kind of epirb or personal locator beacon (mcmurdo do one for around £200)

The problem with travelling to st Kilda is its remote, and wave heights in that part of the atlantic have been recorded over 10 metres in storms. You need quite a few days flat calm before your trip, and any hint of a northerly wind will create quite a big swell in a short time. The other problem is the water temp, even in summer it is still very cold, so carrying a liferaft or dry suits wouldn't be a bad idea!

The final advice is; fill your fuel tanks on the uk mainland. Fuel on the islands is around £1.50 per litre.

Hope this is of help, Any questions pm me

John
Old 29 October 2011, 00:17   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Dalriada
Make: Solent
Engine: Mariner 75
I reckon "you're gonna need a bigger boat", personally I'd want at least two ribs preferably twin engined, not to mention a really good break in the weather.

It's a 100 mile round trip from Harris with nothing in between for shelter (and not many boats in the vicinity), should you need it I think an aux would be useless against the swell/distance you'd be looking at.

My Dad and his pals have attempted the trip 3 times on their yachts as part of their annual boys/booze cruise, once they didn't even leave Harris (they sat for 3 days waiting for a break, it didn't come and they had to head back down), they've made it twice, first was about 10 years ago, last was May this year.

The photos of the seas they were in are just huge, when they were in the trough of the waves they couldn't see the other boats masts, not to mention the mist that prevented them seeing St Kilda till they were almost on top of it. It's the first time I've seen all of them using harnesses in the cockpit of the boats.

Their time ashore was quite limited and the swell getting from the dinghy onto the jetty was running 3ft.

I think they got about 2-3 hours ashore, explored a bit, met the locals (first time it was the army, think it was the national trust the last time), went to the pub :-) and took some stunning pictures, before they felt they had to leave due to the weather closing in on them again.

I think you might need permission to land on St Kilda, might be worth checking out, although I'm pretty certain my Dad and his cronies turned up unannounced.

I can't remember exactly what my Dad said about the pub, but I don't think money is used, I think you may have to bring a bottle to exchange for some... Will need to remember and ask the next time I see him.
Old 29 October 2011, 07:53   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If you search I think you'll find details of a trip jw did in a small boat (might even have been a sib?) So can be done. Bear in mind he is a salty old sea dog and knows what he is doing and could pick his weather window.
Old 29 October 2011, 08:54   #6

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
So long as the wx is ok I can't see a problem myself. It's only 40-50nm; at 30kts that will be under two hours at sea. We do 60-70nm round trips all the time here in the Channel Islands with boats that size so I'd just go for it if I were you.
Old 29 October 2011, 09:32   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
GJ0KYZ, I'm afraid that you're comparing Apples and Pears.

The chances of a 5.5m boat making 30kts average on that run are nil. I'm fairly blasé about those kinds of distances, but when they're out there it's a serious undertaking.

I'd caution the OP about the wisdom of making a solo/single engined trip to St. Kilda. The biggest problem out there is in the event of ANYTHING unexpected, there is no safe haven (often St Kilda isn't safe) and it's beginning to test SAR response, certainly time wise.
Old 29 October 2011, 10:04   #8

Boat name: Baby B
Engine: Evinrude
I have been to Hirta many times and it can be a really tough passage, I would not reccomend it with a small single engined boat.

If you do insist on doing it I would suggest leaving from Levebourgh and perhaps hooking up with Angus (Kilda Cruises) or Seamus (Sea Harris) who run out there in larger boats in the tourist season. I am sure if you speak to them they will keep an eye on you, these guys are the experts when it comes to Kilda. They leave at 8am 3 or 4 days a week and travel out at 18knts. They are good guys who have been doing this trip for years.

The last time I did it on a RIB it was an 11 Delta (Woodys Rib for anyone from out that way) The passage out was fine and we made it in under 2 hours but the way back was awful weather and it took us about 3 1/2 hours to get back.
Old 29 October 2011, 10:07   #9

Boat name: Baby B
Engine: Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeg View Post

I think you might need permission to land on St Kilda, might be worth checking out, although I'm pretty certain my Dad and his cronies turned up unannounced.

I can't remember exactly what my Dad said about the pub, but I don't think money is used, I think you may have to bring a bottle to exchange for some... Will need to remember and ask the next time I see him.
No permission required I believe, you just shout the warden when you arrive, also the pub is off limits these days.
Old 29 October 2011, 11:56   #10

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
Wasn't there a lad that kayak'd out there a couple of years ago?

Thats one trip I've had on the to do list for a while but had resigned myself to getting a bigger rib (something akin to 6.5m) first, but 5.5m ribs have crossed the Atlantic before so who knows. Just down to getting the right weather I suppose. If possible I'd team up with at least one more RIB, but watch if you plan a stay over as the 'campsite' is very small.
Old 29 October 2011, 12:08   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Wasn't there a lad that kayak'd out there a couple of years ago?
Yes, those fkkrs get everywhere But I think the flavour of the OP was not so much "is it possible" but "how would it be sensible".

I think that only those who have made a comparable trip with comparable equipment should encourage the OP to do likewise.

I note that the OP is asking about fuel consumption figures for his craft. Frankly, that alone suggests to me that he should "work up" to a trip like this. I don't mean to be rude, just getting concerned about the direction this thread is taking
Old 29 October 2011, 14:04   #12

Thankyou ALL for your comments / advice. I have read all of them

There seem to be 2 distinct camps here !!

The Can's and the Cant's

If the weather is favourable it Can be done ,I have to arrange a 2-3 week window, this is where I need advice on the best time of year , as previously said May , or Late August / Early September.(daylight is not an issue at these latitudes during summer months).

Also the weather would have to be near perfect or we would not go, and just wait it out.

I know a 5.5m Humber Rib is completely capable of the trip as one this size has crossed the Atlantic,and Many smaller have circumnavigated the UK Sucessfully !.

I am reasonably experienced 25yrs Boating and studied upto yachtmaster ocean, However most of my experience has been crew on larger 10 mtr "sail powered" vessel , mainly costal (Crinan up to Applecross) never in the exposed Atlantic.
I have only 250/300 hrs experience with a rib ,Arnamurchan, Mallaig and Skye , out into the Minch (Shiant Islands) , and quite a few hours around My home area Morcambe Bay(which can be pretty Nasty).

I feel I have the ability to make the passsage there and back safely
with careful planning and a lot of preperation.

I live in Lancashire so I have a 450mile trip just to get to Skye , which makes it awkward to do a recon trip.

This is why I am requesting extra info/ help from local people or people who have made this trip , as I do not know the area well enough.

Friends of ours own a campsite on skye so can stay there and leave tow vehicle and trailer there ,departing from Uig (Skye) using uist or harris as a stopover.

Are there any suitable moorings / campsites near the harbours there ?
I am aware of only toilets and showers at bernaray harbour, not sure about camping ?

We are planning on taking approx 130ltr fuel , Normal usage is burning less than 1 litre per mile @ 25knots (27mile to 22 litres), Is the normal usage around morcambe bay for us.(assuming 45ltr each way and 40 reserve), as there are a lot of posts about fuel usage.

Is fuel available to fil 30ltr portable Tanks at either Bernaray or Leverborough ?

we would prefer to go with other ribs Anyone else up for it ?
Old 29 October 2011, 14:05   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I note that the OP is asking about fuel consumption figures for his craft. Frankly, that alone suggests to me that he should "work up" to a trip like this. I don't mean to be rude, just getting concerned about the direction this thread is taking
I have to say i'm with Willk on this. Its certainly possible, with the right weather it might even be fun, but it is not a beginners trip.

Quote:
GJ0KYZ So long as the wx is ok I can't see a problem myself. It's only 40-50nm; at 30kts that will be under two hours at sea. We do 60-70nm round trips all the time here in the Channel Islands with boats that size so I'd just go for it if I were you.
I'm not suggesting the Channel Islands are a walk it park, but there are other boats around, alternative landing places if things get ugly, and if you do go somewhere 40 miles from your start point and decide not to come back due to the weather there will likely be some facilities at your destination.

Its also a bloomin long drive to get to your starting point. That means you'll have no reliable way of predicting the weather before you leave home, and so are less likely to find perfect conditions. If you happened to be in the right part of the country with the right kit and a good weather window then it might make sense, but its not really something you can "just go for".
Old 29 October 2011, 14:51   #14

Town: STORNOWAY
Make: HUMBER
Engine: 150 YAM HPDI
Ye there is fuel available in lochmaddy north uist and leverburgh in Harris, although fill every can you can before you leave due to cost!
The trip is definitely do-able! Might be available to come with you, I'm in a 6.5 Humber.
Old 29 October 2011, 14:58   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Alzi, I upset you and that wasn't my intention. I didn't think that you had that kind of experience or qualification. Frankly, with those, you don't need to list kit or ask about fuel usage from us, you'll know already.

Obviously, there will be good advice about dates, fuel availability etc. from RIBnetters. I can't help with that.

Do put some thought into what plans you have if you have a terminal engine failure en route or end up in the water. I think your idea of a paired cruise is the best.
Old 29 October 2011, 16:19   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Alzi, I upset you and that wasn't my intention. I didn't think that you had that kind of experience or qualification.
Hi Willk , You haven't upset me at all ,

My original post was poorly written !

I am quite new to Ribs (If not to Sailing), and so there are LOTS of things I still dont Know, yes a lot is common sense , but advice from genuine experienced "Ribbers" is worth its weight in Gold ,There is no substitute for experience.

I would rather someone who knows say "thats wrong" , or go away and think about it ! .

Any advice / Suggestions is always welcome .

We might be looking into a bit of Advanced Powerboat Training here too.

Hi , "JOHNMACK"

Thanks for the Info, Most usefull Leverborough is looking favourite for leaving from , so far.

IF we do decide the trip is viable , Then Obviously "The More the Merrier", 2 or more ribs going would put a few peoples minds at ease.

Alan.
Old 29 October 2011, 22:33   #17

Town: North East Scotland
Boat name: Redbay 10
Make: Redbay
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin Yam inb 165hp
we tried it earlier this year and failed....sat in north uist for a week waiting on the weather....
Old 29 October 2011, 23:47   #18

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
On a clear day you can see St Kilda from Brenish (Isle of Lewis). This kind of trip shouldn't be under-estimated. I know it's probably within reach of a mid-sized RIB on a good day, however, this is the Atlantic, and it's rarely flat calm. I've fished around the entrance of Loch Roag for years and often wondered about a trip out there. You need a clear weather window for starters, and local knowledge.

For more information speak to Murray McLeod at Seatrek. He visits St Kilda during the summer and regularly does the trip, in either a 42' Interceptor, or 9.2m Delta. More details here: seatrek.co.uk - seatrek.co.uk

My brother and I were fishing at Gallan Head (near entrance to Loch Roag) in August this year. It wasn't that calm and the sea was inky black, probably around 10.30pm, but still enough light given the westerly location and time of year. (You have to head out this way if you're launching from Miavaig on route to St Kilda). A 6m+ Minke whale surfaced no more that 15 feet from the boat, blew air, then dived and carried on its way.

Kind of reminded me of how vulnerable we were in our boat.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 30 October 2011, 01:29   #19

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I've done it three times, once as a lone trip in a sib, once with wife and friends and once myself and wife, all were single boat trips. Just be well prepared and choose your weather. Fuel at Lochmaddy but its a fair distance from Lochmaddy through the Sound of Harris so you need to allow for that fuel usage if leaving from there by your boat. Ferry cost is now very reasonable because of the road equivalence scheme. Look at the Calmac website for the summer timetable from Uig to Lochmaddy.
The pub is the Puff Inn and there is a campsite area (read field) on St Kilda. The end of the jetty stays wet, at least it did while I was there. officially you should desk permission to visit but I've never heard of anyone being turned away. Just land, seek out the warden, if he/she doesn't seek you first, as a courtesy. I wouldn't recommend September as a plan, the islands can be particularly stormy that month. If you are looking to see the islands at their best - they're always beautiful in some way - then end of June into July is best, the Machair will be properly in bloom by then. If you are towing to Uist rather than crossing the Minch from Skye, you can launch from a slip at the south end of the Berneray causeway and this will put you on the west side ready to exit to the sea. Shallow water at low tide between N Uist and Berneray, sandbanks. Exit between Udal and Boreray and St Kilda is just a couple of degrees off due west. Go for it, you'll remember it for the rest of your life.
Old 30 October 2011, 16:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish diver View Post
we tried it earlier this year and failed....sat in north uist for a week waiting on the weather....
There are a worse places to be sat for a week !

Was this "April" as you had posted in another thread, I will be going later in the year.

Its now looking like June/July for us , definatly not as late as September (Hurricane Season) out towards the Americas and we always get their leftovers !.