Old 30 October 2011, 16:48   #21

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: 3.3,75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I've done it three times, once as a lone trip in a sib, once with wife and friends and once myself and wife, all were single boat trips. Just be well prepared and choose your weather. Fuel at Lochmaddy but its a fair distance from Lochmaddy through the Sound of Harris so you need to allow for that fuel usage if leaving from there by your boat. Ferry cost is now very reasonable because of the road equivalence scheme. Look at the Calmac website for the summer timetable from Uig to Lochmaddy.
The pub is the Puff Inn and there is a campsite area (read field) on St Kilda. The end of the jetty stays wet, at least it did while I was there. officially you should desk permission to visit but I've never heard of anyone being turned away. Just land, seek out the warden, if he/she doesn't seek you first, as a courtesy. I wouldn't recommend September as a plan, the islands can be particularly stormy that month. If you are looking to see the islands at their best - they're always beautiful in some way - then end of June into July is best, the Machair will be properly in bloom by then. If you are towing to Uist rather than crossing the Minch from Skye, you can launch from a slip at the south end of the Berneray causeway and this will put you on the west side ready to exit to the sea. Shallow water at low tide between N Uist and Berneray, sandbanks. Exit between Udal and Boreray and St Kilda is just a couple of degrees off due west. Go for it, you'll remember it for the rest of your life.
Hi ,

Jwalker , This is the kind of reply I am after , another positive outlook , and a wealth of Experience. Thankyou !

Its now looking like june/july for our planned trip , will be travelling over by calmac to Harris or Uist even though its going to be an extra £200 , we will have the added advantage of having the Camper Van with us so we can sit any weather out in relitive comfort before our trip.

Also having the van will mean fuel will be easier to get.

But all weather dependant ,I am trying to get weather statistics from previous years,

I know the Bernaray slips , But where exactly is the Slipway at Griminis, is it by the pier overlooking Vallay ?

Lots of Planning to do .....

Alan.
Old 30 October 2011, 17:22   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzi View Post
....I am trying to get weather statistics from previous years...
Probably a waste of time. This is the outer Hebrides, it has it's own climate, there can be beautiful weather on Uist and pishing it down on Skye...four seasons in one day is very possible.

Quote:
Lots of Planning to do .....
Since you have a camper, my advise it to cruise up the west coast to the islands and have a good holiday, watch for a good weather window, fuel up the night before, get up sharp next day to make sure the expected weather is still expected and just go for it. It works for me.

Oh aye, if you're leaving from Leverburgh, you can launch from the Calmac slip while the ferry is away and you'll easily find parking there for your trailer. You'll be able to camp on the machair at Northton, which is just along the road. When you travel through Northton village, just before the machair starts, at the last house on the left there's a wee track and a short distance up it there is a tap should you need water.
If you're camping North Uist there are a few nice places... as you leave Lochmaddy take a right towards Sollas, a few miles further another right for Berneray. About a mile on, past the phone box look for the tap opposite the sheep pens. Half a mile further again take the left at the wooden house, follow the track to the end and there is good camping and a superb view. Put a few quid in the honesty box afore you leave. Further along the raod there is machair by the small bay where folk often camp and if you venture on to almost the road end on Berneray there is also good camping among the dunes and machair with a view over the Sound of Harris to the magnificent hills of Lewis. You can launch at the north or south ends of the causeway to give access to the water either east or west. The islands in the sound are very worth investigating and crossing to Leverburgh for a meal at the restaurant and returning late is a cool night out. Leaving your boat in Berneray harbour is very possible. There is no harbour master nor a charge and everything is done on trust. If you meet someone there it's worth a wee chat just so's they know who's about. The loos at the harbour have a coin operated shower and good facitlities, again there's a wee honesty box for donations towards it's upkeep.
Old 30 October 2011, 18:12   #23

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
People who say things can't be done should never stand in the way of some who feel it can. Alan P
Old 30 October 2011, 19:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Probably a waste of time. This is the outer Hebrides, it has it's own climate, there can be beautiful weather on Uist and pishing it down on Skye...four seasons in one day is very possible.

Oh aye, if you're leaving from Leverburgh, you can launch from the Calmac slip while the ferry is away and you'll easily find parking there for your trailer. You'll be able to camp on the machair at Northton, which is just along the road. When you travel through Northton village, just before the machair starts, at the last house on the left there's a wee track and a short distance up it there is a tap should you need water.
If you're camping North Uist there are a few nice places... as you leave Lochmaddy take a right towards Sollas, a few miles further another right for Berneray. About a mile on, past the phone box look for the tap opposite the sheep pens. Half a mile further again take the left at the wooden house, follow the track to the end and there is good camping and a superb view. Put a few quid in the honesty box afore you leave. Further along the raod there is machair by the small bay where folk often camp and if you venture on to almost the road end on Berneray there is also good camping among the dunes and machair with a view over the Sound of Harris to the magnificent hills of Lewis. You can launch at the north or south ends of the causeway to give access to the water either east or west. The islands in the sound are very worth investigating and crossing to Leverburgh for a meal at the restaurant and returning late is a cool night out. Leaving your boat in Berneray harbour is very possible. There is no harbour master nor a charge and everything is done on trust. If you meet someone there it's worth a wee chat just so's they know who's about. The loos at the harbour have a coin operated shower and good facitlities, again there's a wee honesty box for donations towards it's upkeep.
We had 2 weeks on the Uists and Lewis/Harris in 2010 , so have a few places in mind for overnighting ,(polochar and Holsta) on uist and (Husinis and tolsta head on Lewis) But at the time I didnt take any notice of Slipways as it was Pre-Rib days , We have used the facilities at berneray harbour previously.
the other places are all worth a look at.
As said I have a 2-3 week window ,hopefully the weather will play ball for some of it .

I must say the people of the Uists are the friendliest people I have ever met ,It took a while to realise everyone waves as you pass them.

Do you know the exact position the slipway near griminis ?

Thanks Again Alan.
Old 30 October 2011, 19:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
People who say things can't be done should never stand in the way of some who feel it can. Alan P

"A CAN DO"

We have been following "Goodheart" Good Luck !!

We will be following your adventure.

Best Regards Alan W.
Old 30 October 2011, 19:25   #26

Quote:
...Do you know the exact position the slipway near griminis ?
No I don't, I've only ever visited Griminish by car but I seem to remember a wee road down to the right. Griminish has a difficult entrance and I imagine it would be easy to get locked out if the the weather turned bad.
Old 15 November 2011, 15:07   #27

I'm at Griminish now. There are two slips both are ok but one narrow. Got photos for you but will post them when I've got a broadband link.
Old 15 November 2011, 15:41   #28

that's FANTASTIC jwalker , what can I say , I didnt expect that , Thankyou !

I can't wait to see them

May I assume you live on Uist then?

Alan.
Old 15 November 2011, 16:57   #29

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:

"A CAN DO"

We have been following "Goodheart" Good Luck !!

We will be following your adventure.

Best Regards Alan W.
Be good to see some Video if you make the Trip! Plan, Prepare, Pick the weather window, and I'm sure you'll have a great Cruise! One point...''Very friendly locals'' I'm sure...But the ''PUFF-INN''!?

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2011, 23:01   #30

Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Griminish1.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	63992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Griminish2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	63993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Griminish3.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	63994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Griminish4.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	63995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Entrance rocks.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	63996  

Old 20 November 2011, 23:04   #31

Quote:
May I assume you live on Uist then?

Alan.
Nope, having a late summer hols.
Old 20 November 2011, 23:12   #32

Griminish will shorten your travel distance significantly but you would need to be sure of your return weather because the entrance is between the rocks. This is a very calm day and you can still see the breaking water to the right over the submerged rocks. A 4ft swell might make it, erm... interesting, and a bigger swell would be fun. There is also a powerful tide in and out through there. You could easily end up coming home with a swell and a falling (outgoing) tide which would likely make the waves steeper. The pic is taken a short while before low tide.

A sun was setting while I was there, you might like the pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Griminish sunset.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	63997  
Old 21 November 2011, 21:11   #33

A Huge THANKYOU jwalker, Those photo's are superb ,just what I needed, I think the slip is more than useable for us to launch from , although it may take a few attemps to back our rig down.

The photo of the bay shows me that there are a lot more rocks/ reefs than I originaly thought. I think a day or so beforehand charting the area myself and setting waypoints into the GPS's may be advisable as I cannot find a Chart that covers this portion of Uist in enough detail.
That should ensure a safer return.
But we will try and find another another exit route , just incase the weather prevents us returning there.

The planning continues .....

Once again , hope you had a good holiday.
Old 26 April 2014, 16:42   #34

Quote:
A Huge THANKYOU jwalker, Those photo's are superb ,just what I needed, I think the slip is more than useable for us to launch from , although it may take a few attemps to back our rig down.

The photo of the bay shows me that there are a lot more rocks/ reefs than I originaly thought. I think a day or so beforehand charting the area myself and setting waypoints into the GPS's may be advisable as I cannot find a Chart that covers this portion of Uist in enough detail.
That should ensure a safer return.
But we will try and find another another exit route , just incase the weather prevents us returning there.

The planning continues .....

Once again , hope you had a good holiday.
Did anyone ever hear if this Guy made the trip???

Old 26 April 2014, 17:42   #35

Hi

The trip didn't happen , Shortly after my last post I had a serious problem with my health which resulted in having to sell the Rib.

GUTTED !!
Old 26 April 2014, 20:01   #36

Very sorry to hear that..I hope you get there in the end!
Going to make some serious plans next year

Old 27 April 2014, 09:51   #37

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
I'm planning on going out in the Thundercat this year, maybe set a record for the fastest time getting out
Old 27 July 2014, 18:03   #38

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Touchdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
I also have Kilda on my bucket list -so would certainly express an interest in such a trip . Feb 2012

Name:	2014-07-17 14.23.28.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	97196

Ricochet on a mooring in Village Bay July 2014

If you also want to go to St Kilda in a Redbay - check out Sea Harris's new ride

Redbay
Old 27 July 2014, 18:26   #39
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Well done that man!

I had heard that you had made it - only fair you staked the claim yourself though. Worth mentioning you were solo RIB, solo crew too!

Liking the 1650 - one in the eye for Interceptor...
Old 27 July 2014, 18:38   #40

Quote:
Attachment 97196

If you also want to go to St Kilda in a Redbay - check out Sea Harris's new ride

Redbay
Nice Job!.....Where there's a way eh!
We're making plans for next year,if you fancy another visit then!