Old 10 October 2006, 10:04   #41

Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Thanks for the offers of carrying fuel, may well take at least one of those up! I have space, but no real way of holding it down. My main tank is 70 litres, but my engine is pretty thirsty. Not really sure how far I would get, I reckon I would just about make it but I would be a bit daft not to take spare and/or fill up half way.

Nick, not sure which buoy you are talking about off yarmouth. There is a wreck buoy east of the pier and a large mooring buoy just west of the pier, both of which are a bit yellowy and both stay in all year as far as I know! I guess some people will want to fill up in yarmouth and perhaps have a toilet/snack stop.

Old 10 October 2006, 10:10   #42

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Tim,

Toilet stops not a problem or refuelling. I just can't see us having time to stop longer than 30 mins at Yarmouth.

The yellow Buoy is listed as a special marker Buoy and is .5 NM off the end of the pier at 39 degrees. Hope that helps. It isn't the wreck marker buoy which is much more nearer land. But if you think that is a better one to RV at then I am happy to go with your local knowledge.

I picked the buoy because it will give some people chance to scoot in to Yarmouth for the toilet or fuel whilst the rest of us just hang around outside waiting for their return.

Tim. Is it possible to stop at Yarmouth and not get charged a landing fee if your just going to the toilet. I guess most of us would prefer that, but £4.50 for a 5 min stop makes ken Livingston look positively charitable.

With regards the fuel cans I'll just have them loose on deck as well thats why I only carry plastic cans. Stops the damage.

Old 10 October 2006, 10:31   #43

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
I may be able to come along, but not sure what I am doing that weekend. When was your software last updated. East loo channel is off the beach on the eastern approach. May I suggest you go and buy an up to date chart and work your course from their.
Old 10 October 2006, 10:35   #44

Simon,

Just found it, needed to zoom in a bit more. If the recomended route is straight across think i'll add an extra waypoint off Hengistbury head to err on the safe side.
Old 10 October 2006, 11:01   #45

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
If you are going to do that then make sure weather is favourable as can get a little nasty. Also their will be lots of pots, some which are submerged depending on state of tide.
Old 10 October 2006, 11:22   #46

Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Nick,

I think its one of the racing buoys so it is likely that it won't be there! I reckon a meet just outside the entrance by the outer moorings (west of the pier) would be a good bet. All the other buoys (black rock and wreck buoy) tend to sit in choppy water when it wind against.

As for having a toilet break...there is a pontoon by the lifeboat that is a 20min max stay for loading/unloading. However this is only small and is often used but fishermen and the taxi so not a great place for a load of RIBs (2 or 3 is fine). If boats are going for fuel then a toilet stop is easy as the bogs are in the harbour office. I'm sure as it will be quiet, the harbour masters won't mind some ribs stopping for 10 mins if half of them are filling up with fuel.
Old 10 October 2006, 11:27   #47

Okay,

So for the Yarmouth stop just west of the harbour entrance is the small craft moorings. Just South of west Fairway seems a good place in at least 5 meters of water.

N50 42.499 W1 30.269

Will that be okay Tim. Then it will be possible to pop in to Yarmouth and its also an easily visible place to meet up as you exit keeping away from the Lymington ferries.
Old 10 October 2006, 13:13   #48
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Looks like Poole it is then.

Like last time gather off Cowes at 1030 hrs. For all those coming from East of Cowes.
Approx' 1200 hrs arrive off Yarmouth just to see if we can make it to Poole with regards weather etc.
1330 hrs arrive Poole for lunch etc.

1500 hrs depart Poole and head back to Cowes etc.

All these timings are provisional and done off the top of my head so may be way out.

I am quite happy to sort out the passage down to Yarmouth but would appreciate someone with more local knowledge coordinating from Yarmouth to Poole.

Matt would you like to sort out an eatery once we get a bit more sorted with numbers.

That's stumped me- I usually launch there so we end up eating elsewhere! I didn't eat down there when I lived there either.
This might help:- http://www.poolequay.com/pubs.html
Any preferences? The Lord Nelson sounds tempting.
Apparently (shows how much I've used the facilities there!) you now tie up Poole Quay Boat haven on the quay rather than the quay itself.

As for a nav route down, if you keep the Needles directly astern and head due west til you pass Hengistbury Head you'll avoid Christchurch Ledge. The tide will be running as you come past so don't go across the ledge-it'll be quite unpleasant.

After that make for 50 39'49.3"N, 1 55'14.5"W (a point about 200 yards off the Training bank beacon) and follow the main channel into the harbour.

BTW, if there's no fuel available and fuel becomes a problem I'll have a car there-I'm launching from Baiter so if someone babysits my trailer and boat I can always run to a petrol station.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2006, 15:17   #49

Town: West Sussex
Make: zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
Would also love to join you guys and put some names to faces ,but like slimtim I have not a great range 40 litres main and 25 litres back up and being fairly new to the area have not got a great knowledge of refuelling places etc .what would the total mileage be if I launch from Itchenor and then follow the route as suggested by biggles, itchenor to cowes I think is approx 18 nm ,just so I can be prepared and try and carry a bit more fuel in cans.If your happy to have a hanger on then i,m in.
Old 10 October 2006, 16:44   #50
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
My boats kept in Poole so I’ll probably head over to Yarmouth and meet the fleet there.

Poole is about 30nm from Cowes. Refuelling won't be a problem in Poole - Salterns which is pretty much on route from the entrance to the town quay is 24hrs. You've also got Cobbs Quay, also 24hrs, up in Holes Bay.