Old 06 May 2014, 17:44   #51

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I was out from Hamble point marina Sunday, not cheap but very user friendly 31.60 for slip and parking. But for me worth the money, I can launch stick it on the pontoon park car just by slip leaving trailer attached. Toilets showers and hose to wash down too. Nice wide slip (we had 3 of us retrieving abreast on Sunday no problem! But thinking about it don't us it it is rubbish just leave it to me
Anther + is the price is for launch and recover meaning I have on a number of occasions used it for launch then night out and recover the following day.
Great day out Sunday it was too

Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 19:44   #52

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: BWM Deepsea 21
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I was out from Hamble point marina Sunday, not cheap but very user friendly 31.60 for slip and parking. But for me worth the money, I can launch stick it on the pontoon park car just by slip leaving trailer attached. Toilets showers and hose to wash down too. Nice wide slip (we had 3 of us retrieving abreast on Sunday no problem! But thinking about it don't us it it is rubbish just leave it to me
Anther + is the price is for launch and recover meaning I have on a number of occasions used it for launch then night out and recover the following day.
Great day out Sunday it was too
31 doesn't sound too bad considering i have to spend 55 on a prop repair and maybe a new starter motor on the car if it doesn't free off!

Is the slip steep enough to float a 6.5m boat off a bunk trailer without dunking the car in beyond the tyres, but not so steep and weed covered it becomes scarey?!

When i was younger i was quite happy to fight through the summer jetski's and windsurfers at public slips, then fight to find a parking space. But now i got two little kiddies and the wife needs to keep an eye on them, i think id rather pay a little for the stress free convenience.

Thanks for all the feedback though peeps.

Old 07 May 2014, 08:39   #53

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Warshot
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 150 Optimax
Hi All,

As a Hamble resident with a lot of experience of various local slipways I'd recommend Mercury Marina. This is about 1 mile up river from Port Hamble. It is an MDL marina and so there would be similar charges. However, the main advantage is that there isn't a strong current at the slip.

I've seen many boats being retrieved at Hamble Point over the years with various combinations of wives, girlfriends, children and 'experts' shouting / gesticulating / offering advice...... Getting any boat on a trailer with a 2-3 knot 'cross tide' is going to be a challenge!!

There is also plenty of trailer / car parking and there are lots of available pontoons. A quick chat with the office guys will secure you ok. They really are helpful.

The only downside is that at the low end of a low tide the slipway is unusable. However, most of you will know that because of the 'double high-tide' in Hamble / Solent the slipway is usable nearly all the time.

Just a thought......
Old 07 May 2014, 16:17   #54

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: BWM Deepsea 21
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Hmmm Mercury Marine slipway use is 11 each way inc VAT. Not bad.
Does that get you parking for the car and trailer to?
Old 07 May 2014, 18:01   #55

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Not tried Mercury, but Hamble point is not very steep and the current dose make it fun! I just point the trailer in the direction of the current and I can get away with out getting my hubs wet so it not bad!
I used to use the hard just up river next to the yacht club, which is free. Left trailer at the top off hard and car in car park next door + toilet near by too! but trying to get a parking space can be a pain on a nice day!

Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote