Old 06 May 2014, 07:54   #41
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Was a busy weekend, not the busiest though. I was thinking about returning to fuel barge as I forget wallet a few mins before I saw you so was not thinking straight. Knew you guys were out but distracted so did not use camera, sorry. It was only 200 quid that day!
Old 06 May 2014, 17:54   #42

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: Ribcraft 6.4 Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150
Can i ask the chaps who launch as Warsash your opinion on the slip/parking?

I used the slip at the top of the Hamble near Bursledon Bridge for the first time on Sunday which was a bit of a disaster due the the gradient being so shallow and a heavy RIB on a bunked trailer, I had to dunk the car in, now i have a bent prop and the car has a poorly starter motor
I have walked around Warsash on a sunny day and it looked pretty rammed.

Do any of the yards along the Hamble operate a day launch/recovery service for sensible money?

Ta.
Old 06 May 2014, 17:57   #43

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon666 View Post
Can i ask the chaps who launch as Warsash your opinion on the slip/parking?

I used the slip at the top of the Hamble near Bursledon Bridge for the first time on Sunday which was a bit of a disaster due the the gradient being so shallow and a heavy RIB on a bunked trailer, I had to dunk the car in, now i have a bent prop and the car has a poorly starter motor
I have walked around Warsash on a sunny day and it looked pretty rammed.

Do any of the yards along the Hamble operate a day launch/recovery service for sensible money?

Ta.
Where do you keep your RIB? I only ask because there are better slipways to use than down the Hamble River.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 18:26   #44

Hi.
I keep it at my mums near Botley.

I used to live in Portsmouth for many years where i used to launch at Lee on Solent and the one at the top of langstone ( i forget it's name)
Old 06 May 2014, 19:29   #45

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon666 View Post
Hi.
I keep it at my mums near Botley.

I used to live in Portsmouth for many years where i used to launch at Lee on Solent and the one at the top of langstone ( i forget it's name)
There's a slip by Itchen Bridge which might be better for you. I launch from Haslar which suits my needs, it's normally quiet and very sheltered, very easy one man launch and recovery

The only drawback is that it's gravel which means you might well have trouble in a FWD car.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 19:58   #46
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Other options, include calshot, no place to moor up but good slip,
Hamble point marina , great slip access all tides, strong at springs, mooring on visitors pontoon, parking, but quite expensive and marina facilities, option of paying also for tractor I think(very pricey)
Hythe marina. Good slip not sure on price again no real pontoon to hold on
Old 06 May 2014, 20:11   #47

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
My opinion on Warsash slip.

Also.....the long stay carpark(50m) from slip gets full early and has a 2.1m height restriction.

Much after 9am on a decent weekend....forget it...!

The short stay (effective from 1st April) has only a 4hrs max waiting limit, and doesn't have any height restrictions. This carpark is right next to the slip in front of the the pub.

You will need a rope to recover anything other than low tide, and it'll need to be 20m long.

Trailers have to be stored in the long stay car park, the official bays in the car park fill up quickly, but there is space on the grass verge on the left that you are encouraged to use.

There is a fee to use slip, about £7, but I don't see many people going to the Harbour master to pay....

I pay an annual fee, which gets me a lovely sticker, and they seem to be happy for me to use the visitors mooring (for free) for half n hour whilst I launch/recover the boat.
Old 06 May 2014, 20:15   #48

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibs View Post

Also.....the long stay carpark(50m) from slip gets full early and has a 2.1m height restriction.

The short stay (effective from 1st April) has only a 4hrs max waiting limit, and doesn't have any height restrictions. This carpark is right next to the slip in front of the the pub.

You will need a rope to recover anything other than low tide, and it'll need to be 20m long.

Trailers have to be stored in the long stay car park, the official bays in the car park fill up quickly, but there is space on the grass verge on the left that you are encouraged to use.

There is a fee to use slip, about £7, but I don't see many people going to the Harbour master to pay....

I pay an annual fee, which gets me a lovely sticker, and they seem to be happy for me to use the visitors mooring (for free) for half n hour whilst I launch/recover the boat.
I really like Warsash, it suits my needs, but it does get busy when the conditions are nice.

Hamble point would be my other option if I had a larger boat.

I've also launched at Swanwick Marina, but it is a 40min trek up the Hamble to open water.
Old 06 May 2014, 20:23   #49
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:

Yep, I'm the only person I've ever seen paying the day launch fee (by the way it's £4 for my 4.3m RIB).

An alternative might be Eastlands Boatyard but it depends on what you call "reasonable" in the way of prices (see Eastlands Boat Yard) and it's probably a half hour plus run up the Hamble River at 6 knots before being able to open the taps.
Old 06 May 2014, 20:27   #50
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
I know....never seen it like that before. Spooky.

Got some good footage of the conditions/cariboo too that I'm working my way through.

I'll send it over once it's finished.!

Hopefully catch you another time. I spent most the afternoon with Bingosucks up and down Southampton water 'boat testing'

Boys loved it.
Looking forward to seeing the footage

Yet to download and check mine so will let you know if the quality is acceptable (camera was vibrating quite a bit so may have to get a different mount).
Old 06 May 2014, 21:44   #51

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I was out from Hamble point marina Sunday, not cheap but very user friendly £31.60 for slip and parking. But for me worth the money, I can launch stick it on the pontoon park car just by slip leaving trailer attached. Toilets showers and hose to wash down too. Nice wide slip (we had 3 of us retrieving abreast on Sunday no problem! But thinking about it don't us it it is rubbish just leave it to me
Anther + is the price is for launch and recover meaning I have on a number of occasions used it for launch then night out and recover the following day.
Great day out Sunday it was too
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 23:44   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I was out from Hamble point marina Sunday, not cheap but very user friendly £31.60 for slip and parking. But for me worth the money, I can launch stick it on the pontoon park car just by slip leaving trailer attached. Toilets showers and hose to wash down too. Nice wide slip (we had 3 of us retrieving abreast on Sunday no problem! But thinking about it don't us it it is rubbish just leave it to me
Anther + is the price is for launch and recover meaning I have on a number of occasions used it for launch then night out and recover the following day.
Great day out Sunday it was too
£31 doesn't sound too bad considering i have to spend £55 on a prop repair and maybe a new starter motor on the car if it doesn't free off!

Is the slip steep enough to float a 6.5m boat off a bunk trailer without dunking the car in beyond the tyres, but not so steep and weed covered it becomes scarey?!

When i was younger i was quite happy to fight through the summer jetski's and windsurfers at public slips, then fight to find a parking space. But now i got two little kiddies and the wife needs to keep an eye on them, i think id rather pay a little for the stress free convenience.

Thanks for all the feedback though peeps.
Old 07 May 2014, 12:39   #53

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Warshot
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 150 Optimax
Hi All,

As a Hamble resident with a lot of experience of various local slipways I'd recommend Mercury Marina. This is about 1 mile up river from Port Hamble. It is an MDL marina and so there would be similar charges. However, the main advantage is that there isn't a strong current at the slip.

I've seen many boats being retrieved at Hamble Point over the years with various combinations of wives, girlfriends, children and 'experts' shouting / gesticulating / offering advice...... Getting any boat on a trailer with a 2-3 knot 'cross tide' is going to be a challenge!!

There is also plenty of trailer / car parking and there are lots of available pontoons. A quick chat with the office guys will secure you ok. They really are helpful.

The only downside is that at the low end of a low tide the slipway is unusable. However, most of you will know that because of the 'double high-tide' in Hamble / Solent the slipway is usable nearly all the time.

Just a thought......
Old 07 May 2014, 20:17   #54

Hmmm Mercury Marine slipway use is £11 each way inc VAT. Not bad.
Does that get you parking for the car and trailer to?
Old 07 May 2014, 22:01   #55

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Not tried Mercury, but Hamble point is not very steep and the current dose make it fun! I just point the trailer in the direction of the current and I can get away with out getting my hubs wet so it not bad!
I used to use the hard just up river next to the yacht club, which is free. Left trailer at the top off hard and car in car park next door + toilet near by too! but trying to get a parking space can be a pain on a nice day!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote