Click Here to Login

Old 19 October 2008, 17:33   #141

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Don't suppose anyone knew who the utter p**ck was in the Hysucat in Nashers 3rd pic in the post above? He thought my grab handles and D-rings were a good place to tie himself and an 8.5m Scorp to. It's not rocket science, surely? He'd taken paint off my A-frame with his 'creative' knotwork too.
Nice , Neal and I had the same problem when we returned from lunch. Seems one boat only two 4 foot ropes to tie up with. Had to use the outer Scorpion lines to hold the inner rib secure.

In addition to loosing the bow line over the side and into the prop we picked up a nail in one of the trailer tires. Thankfully its a 4 wheel trailer so just drove it home although it looks a little sorry this morning.

Pete
Old 19 October 2008, 17:36   #142

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Late Return from Yarmouth meet

Hi
So we just got back also from Yarmouth meet-up. sorry Bryn and I left early, we headed out to Needles and then over to Cherbourg for the night.
SW 4 gusting 5 on the way a bit bumpy.
Return today was SSW 5, Gusting 6 when we made landfall. When leaving Cherbourg we headed to Bembridge end of IOW to keep the seas on the stern.
Will post some images - when I have downloaded them and reduced the image size. Some seriosly busy shipping lanes this weekend...Great sunshine both days and great ribbing.

Lets not make this weekend just gone the final one - There must be more 'high pressure' weather opportunities.

cheers
Paul
Old 19 October 2008, 17:37   #143
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Nice , Neal and I had the same problem when we returned from lunch. Seems one boat only two 4 foot ropes to tie up with. Had to use the outer Scorpion lines to hold the inner rib secure.

In addition to loosing the bow line over the side and into the prop we picked up a nail in one of the trailer tires. Thankfully its a 4 wheel trailer so just drove it home although it looks a little sorry this morning.

Pete
Thanks again for your help there Pete, I think we would have been stuck there until they got back otherwise.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2008, 19:01   #144

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Nos

Unfortunately as you know its all to common to come back to your boat in the busy Solent and find a couple of others rafted up against it and tied on to the grab handles, it obviously just gets worse as more boats arrive and do the same thing.

I've considered adding some text around mine saying something along the lines of: 'Not to be used for mooring' or if I'm in a bad mood that day: 'Boats secured to this handle will be set adrift'.

Now where's that stencil paper and craft knife?

Nasher
Old 19 October 2008, 19:05   #145
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
'Not to be used for mooring' or if I'm in a bad mood that day: 'Boats secured to this handle will be set adrift'.
Best not to confuse them with nautical terms like mooring or adrift! Perhaps just "don't tie on here!"
Old 19 October 2008, 19:09   #146

Pete

Sorry to hear about the tyre/Nail issue.
At the risk of upsetting those who like Haslar slip, I'm not overly surprised.

I was a bit shocked when I got there at the amount of rubbish, broken wood and general debris lying around an area where trailers with heavy loads and vehicle tyres scrabbling for grip on the rough surface could pick something up.

By the way.
I think young(ish) Andrew deserves a pat on the back for keeping up with the pack all day helming yout boat.

Nasher.
Old 19 October 2008, 19:11   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Perhaps just "don't tie on here!"

I might add y'bastard! to the end of that one.

Nasher.
Old 19 October 2008, 19:29   #148

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
With regards to Newtown Creek, we popped in before Yarmouth, to show my crew what it was like. Had no trouble at all from the "Harbour Master". But maybe cause he was so engrossed with getting money off those who had stopped for lunch ....

My understanding of the payment scheme is as follows. If you use a bouy to moor up to, a charge is levied. If on the other hand, you drop your anchor, no fee is due but they ask for a donation, which of course you can refuse.

Took the rope off the boat today that got caught round our prop yesterday, 23m of blue floating nylon!!
Old 19 October 2008, 20:29   #149

Town: Fareham
Apologies for being a tail end Charlie on this one, the Ethernet connection from my Computer to Modem is playing up and am struggling with an intermittent USB connection

Excellent day folks from Launch to recovery.......Just Superb!!

Sorry to hear and see all the problems everyone was having from the already mentioned 2 ropes around props issues, the sucked in primer bulb and kinked line, the stroppy harbour patrolman to the nail in the tyre and prop slip probs that Andy had. Not to mention a couple of hairy moments that people had on the way back home and Matts issue with the way they tied up to his boat.

I'm please to say, I had a trouble free day (apart from a bruise on my knee and that dam Garmin Map problem). The closest I came to stuffing Pete caught on my Video as I passed him. There is some great footage and as soon as my internet connection is a little more stable I'll add some music and upload to Utube.

Can someone tell me how many miles we traveled from Haslar to Yarmouth and back please. My GPS was showing 43 miles however I used 63 litres of fuel. I was motoring however, but as I have problems with the GPS I'm unsure if the milage is accurate or not.

Some great pictures everyone. The one I like the best is of Pepsea tied to the harbour wall at Yarmouth. After all the time and effort by Pete in mooring her, the fender is floating in the water .....Sorry

The slip at Haslar is great and usually very quiet. I always inspect the slip for wooden planks with nails, hyperdermic needles (yes I found one once) etc. So far I haven't had a problem, I just think that Pete was a little unfortunate on Saturday (we all have bad days from time to time). Oh and I clean my boots off before I go boating Nasher

So all in all a great weekend......Oh I nearly forgot. I picked up two gallons of XD50 at the Solent boat jumble today (thanks Andy) for £30 so less that half price. Should last me till summer next year.

Video in post

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2008, 20:39   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Don't suppose anyone knew who the utter p**ck was in the Hysucat in Nashers 3rd pic in the post above? He thought my grab handles and D-rings were a good place to tie himself and an 8.5m Scorp to. It's not rocket science, surely? He'd taken paint off my A-frame with his 'creative' knotwork too.

Had he been somewhere I could have left him to wait for the next high tide I'd have pulled him up the beach and left him there.
Perhaps you should have tied off to a suitably fragile part of their RIB, like the throttle handle or something

I can't believe what utter knobs there are around! I recon that we should get really sticky lables made up that break into a million pieces when they try to remove them, pointing out their mistake and directing them to a link or sticky on RIBnet.....A kind of name and shame! What say we all?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 19 October 2008, 20:43   #151

Town: solent
Make: morbass
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55hp mariner
hi all

it was nice to meet you all

we went with the gosport gang it was a good run over to yarmouth but as most have said it was a tad bumpy on the way back i hope we did'nt hold you up to much

ooh and how long does it take to recover a hard boat ?? the four off us did it quicker!!

thanks again
andy
Old 19 October 2008, 20:43   #152
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Nos

Unfortunately as you know its all to common to come back to your boat in the busy Solent and find a couple of others rafted up against it and tied on to the grab handles, it obviously just gets worse as more boats arrive and do the same thing.

I've considered adding some text around mine saying something along the lines of: 'Not to be used for mooring' or if I'm in a bad mood that day: 'Boats secured to this handle will be set adrift'.

Now where's that stencil paper and craft knife?

Nasher
I'm thinking similar-laminated A4 sheet with a couple of pipe clips so it can be stowed.

'You are welcome to tie alongside using my bow eye and A-frame. Any lines found tied to grab handles or any tube fixture will be cut to prevent damage.'

Old 19 October 2008, 20:45   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Can someone tell me how many miles we traveled from Haslar to Yarmouth and back please. My GPS was showing 43 miles however I used 63 litres of fuel. I was motoring however, but as I have problems with the GPS I'm unsure if the milage is accurate or not.
We only travelled about half that distance, that will teach you for driving round in circles infront of the camera
Old 19 October 2008, 20:47   #154
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We only travelled about half that distance, that will teach you for driving round in circles infront of the camera
I did wonder if he was lost outside Yarmouth-but it does make it easier working out who's who...Bright yellow rib accompanied by spinning blue rib=Nasher and Hightower

Old 19 October 2008, 20:52   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky ribster View Post
it was nice to meet you all
we went with the gosport gang it was a good run over to yarmouth but as most have said it was a tad bumpy on the way back i hope we did'nt hold you up to much ooh and how long does it take to recover a hard boat ?? the four off us did it quicker!! thanks again andy
for those not their, a 7m harboat was recovering when we arrived back at Haslar. Having watched him winch the boat on then take it off because it wasn't straight we got involved and winched it on for him. His gf was struggling with the winch. Only after winching it on a second time he decided one roller wasn't straight so he undid it and launched it again. Nasher and I gave up at that point. Thankfully the slip is wide enough to get two boats out alongside each other.

We thought you did very well keeping up in those seas and running very well. You won't have had time to see but you have quite a bit of spray coming off the cavitation plate on the Tohatsu. If you have a mind to experiment you may find you can lift the engine a hole or two and gain a little flat water speed. We may have captured you on Andys video so you may be able to see for yourself.

Pete
Old 19 October 2008, 21:10   #156

hi

cheers pete i would love to see the video.

i was talking to andy h about a new prop today but he said about moving the engine first.
we also had a sticky trim button due to a new rubber cover so never used it on the way back.

andy
Old 19 October 2008, 21:24   #157

Andy, it was more noticeable on the way out, to busy hanging on during the trip home. Your engine is bolted on using the top holes so could easily be moved up. Your engine trim looked okay and the boat was riding well, you just had in addition to the normal spray two water jets coming upwards off the cavitation plate at 30 degrees and hitting the end of the tubes. If you do move it you will have to trim in to do tight turns under power but gain a little top speed. Since this doesn't cost anything I think Andy is right to suggest doing this first.

Pete
Old 19 October 2008, 21:30   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Some great pictures everyone. The one I like the best is of Pepsea tied to the harbour wall at Yarmouth. After all the time and effort by Pete in mooring her, the fender is floating in the water .....Sorry
I want to see how big Nashers anchor is, because the chain has 3" links
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nasher.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	38292  
Old 19 October 2008, 21:44   #159

I didn't really get a good Video of the back of your Tohatsu Andy, I've just checked.

The problem you were explaining to me was of prop slip in a straight line and even worse going into corners with engine trimmed in, this would suggest you lower the Engine not raise it. Did you buy that prop?

Pete, the 3" links are for the plug hole, plug........He had to empty all that water

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 19 October 2008, 22:12   #160

hi andy no i did'nt buy the prop.
i'm going to have a look tomorrow at the cavitation plate like you said.

andy