Old 14 November 2002, 19:53   #1

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
So...... who will be brave enough to venture it to Greece this summer???

Well people I have posted a very long thread about venture it to greece this summer.
So far no firm replies.
If any one is interested (I will be going any way as usual) please drop me a line.
I am not pusing this idea because I understand that for some it may be expessive (although is not that bad if there are 4 sharing), some may be affraid, etc etc and also is a very looong trip to get there and back.
It will be fun though.
THIS WILL BE A REAL ADVENTURE
In any case it will be nice to know if any one is in for it.
Please let me know.

Thanks
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2002, 07:35   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hello Manos

Just a firm reply to your posting, I definitely would not be able to make the Greek cruise. Good luck anyway, hope to see you over here next year.
Old 15 November 2002, 08:23   #3

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Hi Cahrles

Thanks for the reply.
Honestly I don't think that any one will do it but I'm just checking to see if I'm wrong.
Old 15 November 2002, 11:26   #4

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Manos, I really do not think people are not interested, there is nothing I would enjoy more....!
The fact is, it is VERY expensive, one would have to take 2 weeks, if not more, holidays to make it worthwhile. My rib would be a head-ache (due to its size) to trailer all the way over there. Lastly, we really do have superb places to cruise around these parts, largely undiscovered as well.
Old 15 November 2002, 11:43   #5

Agree Charles

I agree with you Charles. Towing a RIB (I have been towing a 6 mtr RIB for the last 4 years and a 7 mtr last year) is not difficult provided you are not rushing it.
For a 2 week min stay in Greece you need to get 3 weeks hol. It will take you 3 + 3 days for the return trip.
Prices are rellevant. For four people sharing it I don't think is that expenssive. I think is cheaper than going on a package hol.
Doing it like this one sees more of Greece and places that a back packer (this is how we call the package swarms of toursits) does not see.
Any way. I'll be there. so who ever wants to come is VERY WELLCOME!!!
Old 15 November 2002, 11:53   #6

Some photos from Santorini

The Caldera and the Volcano
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	santorini caldera.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1361  
Old 15 November 2002, 11:54   #7

View of Santorini

A view of the Capital Fira
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	santorini fira.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1362  
Old 15 November 2002, 20:43   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Manos,

Your enthusiasm is a pleasure to read, and highly infectious!

Unfortunately I won't be able to commit to RIBing to Greece next summer.... - but I've mentally ticked Greece as a "must-do" for one day (soon, I hope). Lack of a RIB is one factor at the moment (although it looks good for SIBs out there!) - a boating holiday around Greece looks as though it's one of life's ultimate pleasures - one lesson we can learn from the yotties!

I guess that I'm in a similar position to many others on this forum - family pressures, limited leave, and the time=money factor. Summer 2002 was great for me as I went on two Channel Island 3-day cruises which gave me maximum "bang for my buck" (nicked that phrase from Geoff Campbell ) so I could get back to work almost before I was noticed (yeah, ok, "not difficult" I hear the hecklers shouting!). Anyway, good luck with organising a cruise - local knowledge is sooooo valuable.

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 16 November 2002, 19:24   #9

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Manos,

Should I consider myself as "brave" ? I'll venture a sail to Greece next summer. . With a 45 footer sailing yacht I hope......

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2002, 13:31   #10

Understand

As I said before. I fully appreciate the situation.
May be some day .......................
Old 29 November 2002, 20:34   #11

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I cant afford to do this journey on my own fianancially, but I do have some good boats and a trusty 4 * 4.

I will have the time to do this, however and I was wondering if any of you fancied sharing the costs of the trip.

My propsal is that I tow the boat to Greece, and three others fly over, we can all drive my boat in Greece and then I tow it back after the cruise. The four of us split my travel costs ( which will include a set of trailer wheel bearings! ) four ways and we also share the cost of the boat fuel and Marina's. We pay for our own Food, Hotels and Sunblock.

If anybodies interested please send me a PM and I'll have a go at calculating the costs

Cheers
Stuart
Old 02 December 2002, 17:25   #12

A BRIL IDEA!!

Stuart this is a great idea and you do not need to use a marina in Greece (unless you want to spend money). Berthing is free!!
So far I know that

Michael The Bat (if he is still talking to me )
Sotiris and Dinos (you said YES didn't you??)
Dimitris and
my self

will be there.

CAPE SOUNION is a wonderfull place 60 kms away from Athens but looks and feels like you are on an island with 100s of islands to explore.

Hope you make I think that we will all be delighted to show you our lovely place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	the boat's resting place for the wiinter without the hood.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1425  
Old 02 December 2002, 17:26   #13

...and this is how the

beach looks like in the summer.
It was just 10 people around that day
Attached Images

Old 24 March 2003, 20:39   #14

Hey!!!

It looks like this raid will happen
May be not with 10 RIBs but there will be enough for a good story in the RIB International!!
Old 08 June 2012, 14:35   #15

Town: Dunure
Boat name: Spike
Make: Zodiac 550
Engine: Yam 80fs
Manos,
I head to Parga on the 1st July for a month towing a 5.5 Zodiac. We are heading to the Ancona ferry to Igumenitsa. We have been visiting this spot for 20 years and I have always wanted to explore this stunning coastline from the sea.
Yes we are worried about the Euro, Yes I am worried about the trailer bearings but 30 ribtastic days in a row and Paxos 30 minutes away makes it a look like a good bet!
Old 08 June 2012, 16:48   #16

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
9 year old thread revival, a new RIBnet record ??
Old 12 June 2012, 12:04   #17

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Greek cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrsaltcellar View Post
Manos,
I head to Parga on the 1st July for a month towing a 5.5 Zodiac. We are heading to the Ancona ferry to Igumenitsa. We have been visiting this spot for 20 years and I have always wanted to explore this stunning coastline from the sea.
Yes we are worried about the Euro, Yes I am worried about the trailer bearings but 30 ribtastic days in a row and Paxos 30 minutes away makes it a look like a good bet!
Shows the unexpected life expactancy of any thread on Ribnet !

I too am off to Greece - leaving this Thursday 14th with a 6m Cobra to Ancona for the same ferry trip to Igoumenitsa. We then take the 'local' ferry to Paxos where we stay for just under 3 weeks before trecking home. Carrying, 3 dive cylinders, 3 sets dive kit, 1 portable dive compressor, spare hub/bearings complete ('sealed for life' haha), a few spares and tools >>>> and Mrs B and her clothes/shoes !!!
Thank the lord for a Volvo and a large roofbox
Always fit new brakes, bearings and tyres just before the trip to reduce the potential for nightmare breakdowns across europe

Like you Ayrsaltcellar I have been going to the same area (Paxos) for 21 years and then, 5 years ago, decided to take the RIB as a 'one off' > never used a plane/Corfu airport since and have done so every year since . Apart from crusing and diving around Paxos and Anti Paxos we also have the odd jaunt across to Parga, Sivota and last year Ammoudia to see how far up the river Stix we could get.
We leave for home on 6th July so who knows - our paths may cross. Let me know if you have MMSI no and post a piccy of your boat in case we spot you.

Fuel and ferry costs are scarey - but well worth it IMHO >> though Oban was beautiful for the Jubilee weekend, if a little fresh!
The upside is the euro at 1.24 is much better than the 1.08 we were getting last year

Enjoy your trip

Jeff
Old 12 June 2012, 13:48   #18

Town: Dunure
Boat name: Spike
Make: Zodiac 550
Engine: Yam 80fs
Thanks Jeff, seemed the sensible place to put the thread for others to search ! I have spent some very happy times on Paxos and am really looking forward to getting into those caves on the west coast. I have done the Styx by foot which is bloody freezing but good fun. Our route out is via Tunnel, Reims, Chamonix, Parma, Ancona, where I have been warned about the "organisation" in the ferry terminal.

I am towing it with a Disco4, which will just be a lottery in terms of reliability, but am packing trailer spares - bearings, tyres etc.

My rib is a blue/white Zodiac Pro and will be at that nice bar right on the front in Loggos several times from 7th July till end of July - where there will be Mythos for you - and will be generally messing around Paxos/Anti Paxos/Parga/Sivota - have a great holiday - Gus
Old 12 June 2012, 20:27   #19
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Good luck boys I've already done 2 visits this year to Corfu spending loads of time on the water. visited Paxos last season on the recommendation of Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5280414.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	69299  
Old 12 June 2012, 20:38   #20

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrsaltcellar View Post
Thanks Jeff, seemed the sensible place to put the thread for others to search ! I have spent some very happy times on Paxos and am really looking forward to getting into those caves on the west coast. I have done the Styx by foot which is bloody freezing but good fun. Our route out is via Tunnel, Reims, Chamonix, Parma, Ancona, where I have been warned about the "organisation" in the ferry terminal.

I am towing it with a Disco4, which will just be a lottery in terms of reliability, but am packing trailer spares - bearings, tyres etc.

My rib is a blue/white Zodiac Pro and will be at that nice bar right on the front in Loggos several times from 7th July till end of July - where there will be Mythos for you - and will be generally messing around Paxos/Anti Paxos/Parga/Sivota - have a great holiday - Gus
That will be the Roxi Bar Pity - we will miss you as we leave from Igou at 22:30 on 6th July. Have a really great time

Thanks GED - did you leave your 'big one' over there as a spare