Old 24 June 2004, 23:56   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Small Boat Mega Voyage

This is just a tester. But is their anyone out there with a 4 Meter or smaller boat who fancies either going round the IOW or across to France.

I work shifts. 4 on 4 off and have quite a bit of time off midweek and weekend and would like to try a big trip from the Solent area.

Any time in July, August or September would suit me.

I think its 60 miles around the IOW and 60 miles from Portsmouth to Cherbourg.

I'm game for either.

I personally think my boat is capable of doing the journey in fair conditions and would like some company on the right day.

I personally would like to go to France and camp overnight.

Anybody like to join me.

Please let me know.

Nick R
Old 24 June 2004, 23:59   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
It sounds a bit airy fairy, but I will plan the journey properly using up to date charts.

I have GPS and VHF.

We just need to pick the right couple of days to do it.

It might be even a one day job.

Nick R
Old 25 June 2004, 07:08   #3

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Biggles,

I will be on the IOW (Bembridge) from 31 July to 14 August and would be happy to accompany you on a circumnavigation. Did it for the first time at Ribex and will be going round again with a club on 10/11 July.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2004, 11:08   #4

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
biggles

if you make it a sub 5m around the island i may be able to join you and may be some of the other boys in the sub 5m gang will as well
Old 25 June 2004, 11:16   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
RTI is about 65nm and perfectly within the capabilities of sub5m boat in good conditions as is the Channel. Another potential trip you might like to think about is Alderney. About 60nm from the Needles. I did it in a 5.5m Humber a few years back and way back in the midsts of time, Roland Neal from Alderney famous did it in a Flatacraft Force 4 regularly!
It all comes down to weather window, good prep and (an essential) some company to offer mutual assistance if required.
Have fun!
Alan

PS for Small boat mega voyage inspiration do a search for "RB4" for the round britain sub 5m trip back in 2001
Old 25 June 2004, 12:45   #6

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Biggles

Come out with the sub 5 gang sometime, we regualy go out as far as we dare and sometimes get towed back

For our next trip we are planning to head out to the Knock John sea fort 14 miles out in the channel/estuary, we'll probably come back skimming the Essex coast (thats foreign isn't it) eat some food and drink some of TD5's beer
Old 25 June 2004, 17:40   #7

biggles

your very wellcome to come along to our next sub 5m big bash as bilge rat
said we are off to knock john fort normally the three of us go out
i don,t know when the next thames trip is but we will let you know

dan
Old 25 June 2004, 18:33   #8

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Love to come

If you will accept a 3.2M with 6hp and consequent limitations, love to come anywhere. Depends on dates. PM me if someone as small and inexperienced would not be a burden!

Cheers

Bruce
Old 25 June 2004, 18:44   #9

bruce

knock john may be a bit of a push for a 6 hp bilge rat told me not to bring
my doughter with me and she is my top crew member which worried me
but a thames trip would be right up your street as loads to see
so going fast is not what its about i go out on the thames most weekend
the boys are not out you are wellcome to come along with me any time

dan
Old 25 June 2004, 19:07   #10

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
We managed - my 14 year old son and I - to take her down the Clyde from rhu and across to Rothesay. Bits of that were hairy. "Dad, is this really sensible?". "Dad, there is an awful lot of water back here". "Dad, what happens if that big wave catches us?". I am sure we learned lots that day - like the lee shore is less scary! These Zodiac with the inflatable high pressure V seem to be able to handle anything. The only time we had a LOT of water in the boat was when my son went to sleep in the sun in the bows on the way back - we were going flat out as we were in danger of being late for supper - and were overtaken by a fast pilot boat. Since I couldn't see the wash I didn't think it would be that big

I then looked over my shoulder and saw these mountain approaching, turned the sib quickly to meet them, and crashed through them.

BUT I had in my haste forgotten to reduce the throttle, and that forgotten that Josh was asleep in the bow! He got soaked (but is still talking to me).

I don't think we were ever in genuine danger, (I never felt we were in risk of being even close to getting really large amounts of water in her or of being unstable) but enjoyed the exhilaration of pushing the boat further and further.

I guess it was a 3 - 4 sea (but felt more)!!!

What are the really hard bits around the island? We have so far only gone from between the Needles and Cowes.
Old 25 June 2004, 19:33   #11

bruce

sorry mate i was talking about off the essex and kent coast knock john is about 14 miles off kent i don,t know any think about around the island
but it sounds a good ride if i can make but i am sure you would be wellcome one of our sub five meter runs phil davies brother came with a Bombard Sib
with a 30HP on the back which was very good boat as you say they are very good
Old 25 June 2004, 20:52   #12

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Biggles

I'm definitely up for a trip around the IoW this summer - let me know when you've got a date fixed. I think France may be a tad ambitious unless we requisition a support boat and experienced crew. Alderney sounds excellent, but again preferably in the company of a support boat. If Daniel TD5 and Bilge Rat come, we'll need a 7m RIB to carry the provisions anyway
Old 25 June 2004, 21:13   #13

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Alderney or Cherbourg would be OK as long as you planned well and take a number of things into consideration - weather window (p'raps consider sending a big boat out first for a look?) and fuel requirements. Alderney is good for camping (do you plan to carry tents, etc? ), and has duty free, Cherbourg better for, err, well just being French! I would suggest not combining the two as the water between Alderney and Cherbourg is quite treacherous.

When planning for the weather window, look at a site like www.ecmwf.int where they use a Cray Supercomputer to model the predicted pressure and wind patterns - they are remarkably accurate.

Remember that you're quite a commitment once you're offshore - we did some radio and mobile tests a few weeks ago, and found that mobile or VHF coverage both only stretch about 10 miles out. Because the Coastguard mount their antennas on hilltops and broadcast at high power, you can hear them when they can't hear you (mind you, I think we only tested at "low" power).
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote