Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 May 2012, 03:51   #41
Member
 
Jeff Hutcheon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Length: 6m +
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
If you're travelling at an average of 50! Perhaps we're best waiting for you in front of the speed restriction Zone by Port Dinorwic! Might get a better look at you at 8 knots, then race (!) you to the bridges.

There are yellow bouys marking the start and finish of the section of the strait.
Hey stop pinching my reply and get to work lol
You can type faster than me !!
__________________

__________________
Jeff Hutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 04:10   #42
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
It's just for 1 mile so I'm not bothered about going through flat out out, we'll get a better chance to take in the view and maybe stop for a chat if we have time?

Are there signs etc? It would be helpful to have the GPS positions of the speed limit beginning and end. If someone could put up the best route into and out of the area that would be helpful as well!
Cookee, take no notice of either of em, they both spend too much time on sand banks and pubs to know anything

I'll sort out the chart positions for the speed limit marks and the marked channel over Caernarfon Bar, the marks were moved start of last season but the updates haven't been included on the latest Garmin chart so may be the same on others.

Paul and Jeff have both made good suggestions (did I really say that or was I just thinking out aloud ) about guiding you through, I'm sure we can muster enough ribs to help out with guiding you through the Bar and out towards Puffin Island
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 05:05   #43
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton

Cookee, take no notice of either of em, they both spend too much time on sand banks and pubs to know anything

I'll sort out the chart positions for the speed limit marks and the marked channel over Caernarfon Bar, the marks were moved start of last season but the updates haven't been included on the latest Garmin chart so may be the same on others.

Paul and Jeff have both made good suggestions (did I really say that or was I just thinking out aloud ) about guiding you through, I'm sure we can muster enough ribs to help out with guiding you through the Bar and out towards Puffin Island
Chris, who exactly is it who you think has a rib that will average 50?!

Ours does 51mph flat out two up with no kit, little fuel and no weed.

Not Deano as he will run out of fuel half way!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 05:14   #44
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
To be honest if the conditions are OK the boat is happier up around 60mph but we're happy to slow down to about 40mph if that helps out? What sort of speed would be OK for everyone?
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 05:23   #45
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
To be honest if the conditions are OK the boat is happier up around 60mph but we're happy to slow down to about 40mph if that helps out? What sort of speed would be OK for everyone?
LOL! No worries Cookee. We'll see you in the speed zone, then it's sheltered up to the bridges for the couple of mile run to there from the speed zone, so WOT for us, 40mph should be fine for Chris and others. Then through the bridges you could slow to 30 for safer navigation and then once clear off past Menai, open her up and leave us dead as you fly past Bangor pier and Beaumaris castle, then out past puffin in to Irish Sea and onwards!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 08:13   #46
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Chris, who exactly is it who you think has a rib that will average 50?!

Ours does 51mph flat out two up with no kit, little fuel and no weed.

Not Deano as he will run out of fuel half way!
don't you worry about it Paul, you'll be well weed'd by then and Deano will still saving up for go juice i thought the best person to get wud be Nat, and she could take the photos at the same time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4060140.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	68179  
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 08:22   #47
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
LOL! No worries Cookee. We'll see you in the speed zone, then it's sheltered up to the bridges for the couple of mile run to there from the speed zone, so WOT for us, 40mph should be fine for Chris and others. Then through the bridges you could slow to 30 for safer navigation and then once clear off past Menai, open her up and leave us dead as you fly past Bangor pier and Beaumaris castle, then out past puffin in to Irish Sea and onwards!
Cookee, as Paul says around 40mph should be fine for most and is probably a safe speed to see who else is about, could be busy on a Saturday afternoon, especially just before the speed limit with Plas Menai. lets just hope for good weather for your trip

I've put a link on your thread to Caernarfon Harbour Trust, it's got the details of the route in over the Bar and through the Swellies, I'll try and find the details of the speed limit marks as well, we know where they are but you could easy miss them at your cruising speed
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 08:27   #48
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Liverpool
Boat name: ship called DIGNATTY
Make: Europa Sport 3.3m
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Natalie123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
don't you worry about it Paul, you'll be well weed'd by then and Deano will still saving up for go juice i thought the best person to get wud be Nat, and she could take the photos at the same time

Glad that you are all aware DIGNATTY can fly!! 50/60 is just a walk in the park. I might continue on the trip with Cookee just in case he needs a safety boat
Natalie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 08:56   #49
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie123 View Post
Glad that you are all aware DIGNATTY can fly!! 50/60 is just a walk in the park. I might continue on the trip with Cookee just in case he needs a safety boat
Thanks for the offer - we're staying in Douglas that evening, and you're welcome to tag along if you want!

Looking forward to the little detour and meeting up with you lot - I'm sure we'll have time to stop in the speed limit zone to say hi to you guys.
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 10:04   #50
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie123 View Post
Glad that you are all aware DIGNATTY can fly!! 50/60 is just a walk in the park. I might continue on the trip with Cookee just in case he needs a safety boat
don't forget to post the photos Nat
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.