Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Upcoming RIB cruises
Click Here to Login

Old 16 June 2013, 18:39   #61

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
as I have lived here since I was 3, something you should all know as you run along port creek that runs along side the motorway, there is a blue footbridge between the railway and round about, people hoof trolleys and all kinds of rubbish off that bridge so trim up is my advice and take it slow and cautiously,
Old 16 June 2013, 18:46   #62

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit View Post
as I have lived here since I was 3, something you should all know as you run along port creek that runs along side the motorway, there is a blue footbridge between the railway and round about, people hoof trolleys and all kinds of rubbish off that bridge so trim up is my advice and take it slow and cautiously,
Haha..I know the bridge well olly..I'm also a local...:-). You ever jump off the bridge?(I didn't..I knew about the trolleys!)
Old 16 June 2013, 18:50   #63

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
no my mum would have gone mad, - I save cliff jumping for trips to blue lagoon aberieddy pembrokeshire....
Old 16 June 2013, 21:01   #64

Town: London
Boat name: Paradiddle
Make: Ribcraft 6.8/Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 200/Evinrude
MMSI: 235071824
Other than fuel and food, wot (if anything) are the costs - Launching,parking etc ?
Old 17 June 2013, 21:23   #65
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Haha..I know the bridge well olly..I'm also a local...:-). You ever jump off the bridge?(I didn't..I knew about the trolleys!)
Sounds like it might be worth a low tide recce the day before. Having said that, I think I'll also be doing a high tide recce of the bridges we have to get under as the earlier post concerning clearances has me wondering whether my console will be a problem.
Old 17 June 2013, 22:18   #66

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Anyone is welcome, the more the merrier. As usual everyone will need to take responsibility for their own planning, and the expedition comes with no warranties!
hi all ,wondering if this is still on ?

still very new to sea sibbing so not sure where we launch etc very keen to do portsmouth but i know they have patrol boats ! will this be a problem without vhf

i`m assuming were not going tooooo far out to, one thing i did find on the durdle door run was how hard it was to judge distances and finding the launch points . i guess this comes with experience
Old 17 June 2013, 22:26   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post

hi all ,wondering if this is still on ?

still very new to sea sibbing so not sure where we launch etc very keen to do portsmouth but i know they have patrol boats ! will this be a problem without vhf

i`m assuming were not going tooooo far out to, one thing i did find on the durdle door run was how hard it was to judge distances and finding the launch points . i guess this comes with experience
I'm still up for it...a lack of radio I don't think will be a problem...I've got a spare anyhow.
Old 17 June 2013, 22:42   #68

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Me too!!
Old 17 June 2013, 22:43   #69

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
I'm still up for it...a lack of radio I don't think will be a problem...I've got a spare anyhow.
As long as you cab get radio 2 on your stereogram then we be fine!!
Old 19 June 2013, 13:47   #70
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
How's this for a plan:
  • Meet at Camber Dock 10.00 for 10.30 start
  • Head up Portsmouth Harbour and round into Port Creek
  • Bimble through Langstone Harbour and out into the Solent avoiding the West Winner bank
  • Head for Portsmouth Harbour entrance via inshore boat passage through submarine barrier
  • Once past Clarence Pier cut across to head for small boat channel into Portsmouth
  • Head into Portsmouth Harbour as far as Ballast Buoy, radio QHM and cross back to Camber
  • Lunch at the Bridge Tavern

This should mean that we have enough water at the top, and get through both harbour entrances before the tide starts running too hard. I think it's probably a better idea than stopping for a dubious lunch at the Ferryboat Inn!

The whole jaunt is around 13 miles and the speed limit is 10 knots so we should have plenty of time to take it easy.
Old 19 June 2013, 15:08   #71
NSS

Quote:
How's this for a plan:
  • Meet at Camber Dock 10.00 for 10.30 start
  • Head up Portsmouth Harbour and round into Port Creek
  • Bimble through Langstone Harbour and out into the Solent avoiding the West Winner bank
  • Head for Portsmouth Harbour entrance via inshore boat passage through submarine barrier
  • Once past Clarence Pier cut across to head for small boat channel into Portsmouth
  • Head into Portsmouth Harbour as far as Ballast Buoy, radio QHM and cross back to Camber
  • Lunch at the Bridge Tavern

This should mean that we have enough water at the top, and get through both harbour entrances before the tide starts running too hard. I think it's probably a better idea than stopping for a dubious lunch at the Ferryboat Inn!

The whole jaunt is around 13 miles and the speed limit is 10 knots so we should have plenty of time to take it easy.
Sounds good to me. I'll probably launch at Warsash and motor round to the meet up at Camber. Still a little concerned as to whether I'll clear the bridges at either end of Port Creek, but am happy to give it a go.
Old 20 June 2013, 14:01   #72

A suggestion after talking to a couple of guys this morning ...anyone fancy doing round Hayling at the same time ( weather and tide allowing ? )
Old 20 June 2013, 14:33   #73
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
My thoughts it is a long way for some of us to come for 13 miles. Maybe those that want to stay out can splinter off from those that are meeting family and need to get back?
Old 20 June 2013, 16:06   #74

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yam 115
Hi John, sounds like a good day out for the guys? Wish we could join you, but we're a bit too big! (And a rib anyway) lol. A bit of info regarding getting back into Portsmouth harbour. If you are coming in from the east, which you will be, you don't need to cross over to the small boat channel & Ballast bouy. Rules say keep close to starboard avoiding main channel. Makes sense really, as crossing over would be more dangerous? Enjoy! John
Old 20 June 2013, 16:49   #75

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
How's this for a plan:

[*]Meet at Camber Dock 10.00 for 10.30 start[*]Head up Portsmouth Harbour and round into Port Creek[*]Bimble through Langstone Harbour and out into the Solent avoiding the West Winner bank[*]Head for Portsmouth Harbour entrance via inshore boat passage through submarine barrier[*]Once past Clarence Pier cut across to head for small boat channel into Portsmouth[*]Head into Portsmouth Harbour as far as Ballast Buoy, radio QHM and cross back to Camber[*]Lunch at the Bridge Tavern

Great plan
Old 20 June 2013, 19:17   #76

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Sounds good to me. I'll probably launch at Warsash and motor round to the meet up at Camber. Still a little concerned as to whether I'll clear the bridges at either end of Port Creek, but am happy to give it a go.

Exactly my plan too....never launched at Camber and been wondering if we get numbers then will it accommodate us all..?

Happy to launch at my local, and meet up at Camber.

NSS, what will you be running? I also have a slight concern my 4.5 Adventure (minus a frame) will get under the bridges.

Going to try and have a high/low tide reccy next week somewhen.
Old 20 June 2013, 19:36   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscubanut View Post
A bit of info regarding getting back into Portsmouth harbour. If you are coming in from the east, which you will be, you don't need to cross over to the small boat channel & Ballast bouy. Rules say keep close to starboard avoiding main channel. Makes sense really, as crossing over would be more dangerous? Enjoy! John
They used to say that I think, but not any more:

"Small Boats must enter and leave the harbour through the Small Boat Channel."

Queen's Harbour Master - Portsmouth - General Directions

We'll need to cross south of No 4 buoy which is just off Clarence Esplanade.
Old 20 June 2013, 19:39   #78
Administrator

Quote:
A suggestion after talking to a couple of guys this morning ...anyone fancy doing round Hayling at the same time ( weather and tide allowing ? )
We'll stick with round Portsmouth, but no problem af anyone wants to go further afield. If the weather is good we might do a Chichester Harbour jaunt for a picnic at East Head the following Saturday (13th).
Old 20 June 2013, 22:36   #79
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
Exactly my plan too....never launched at Camber and been wondering if we get numbers then will it accommodate us all..?

Happy to launch at my local, and meet up at Camber.

NSS, what will you be running? I also have a slight concern my 4.5 Adventure (minus a frame) will get under the bridges.

Going to try and have a high/low tide reccy next week somewhen.
Hi Wibs

We'll be in a Walker Bay Generation 430 RIB. No A frame to worry about, but we might have to tilt the console to get under the bridges (never tried that whilst underway before!).

Planning to launch around 9.30am and motor straight round to Camber. Where will you be launching from?
Old 20 June 2013, 23:09   #80

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yam 115
Quote:
They used to say that I think, but not any more:

"Small Boats must enter and leave the harbour through the Small Boat Channel."

Queen's Harbour Master - Portsmouth - General Directions

We'll need to cross south of No 4 buoy which is just off Clarence Esplanade.
How daft is that then? Crossing a main shipping channel not once but twice!
Thanks for the 'heads-up' on that one John.