RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Yup..its been planned as a good weather route Poly.
I'm remembering back to that planning session we had in a Stirling hostelry for the first one! Every time we had another glug of our pints we got a bit more adventurous with the distance!
Old 08 November 2017, 19:03   #24

Will someone please rename title Arron to Arran, it is bringing out a nervous twitch reading it
Old 08 November 2017, 19:46   #25

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'm remembering back to that planning session we had in a Stirling hostelry for the first one! Every time we had another glug of our pints we got a bit more adventurous with the distance!
I remember it well Poly... and it was a very enjoyable evening too...and all our outings together have been a complete success.

I confess..when HH posted this ..my initial thoughts were ..that is far too ambitious a route for going on a pre set date. It is the reason I hesitated adding my name . I have since spoken with HH to confirm that route was his plan before I posted the map

If I am honest about it ..knowing the area ..and the normal weather ..I would not be surprised if we end up going into Loch Fyne as in the previous year...or perhaps cross to Arran and along the Northern end before returning if its good weather.

I realise its not everyone who wants to sit in a SIB going those distances in a bouncy sea. However if the weather is calm ..it would be possible and also be very enjoyable...and if that is what folks want to do..I will tag along. I wont if I think it is not safe to do so regardless what others do.

Like all the outings I have been on..each and everyone starts with an initial plan. However they change as conditions change..everyone has to realise that.. flexibility is a must.. it could even be cancelled altogether if weather turns nasty

That is why I posted the video of the September outing. It lets folks see the plan changed as we went. Because the forecasted storm for the second day..I suggested going the intended route over the first good day. We then changed campsites so we only had approx 6 miles to go in force 5-6 seas hugging the coast too. It was a complete success. I would not recommend open sea crossings in strong winds.

However as mentioned..its nothing to do with me..and I will happily go round Arron if it is possible..but I will also not do it .. if I think conditions over the two day period were not suitable. Those that are braver..can ..I wont stop them..its not my place.

I should add the usual disclaimer ..its a meeting of like minded SIB’ers and not an official outing. Everyone is responsible for their own safety .. we all assist if there are problems..but ultimately any accident is not covered by any other person attending ..unless Highland Haggis knows otherwise.

Boats have to be suitable and seaworthy for such a journey .. Have the ability to keep on the plane in a normal sea conditions .. carry all relevant safety gear and wear kill cords etc

..the Skipper carries full responsibility for his boat and crew.

I am also making it absolutely clear to all..its nothing to do with me ..I will attend..and I will offer advice..that is all..Im just another guy on the outing otherwise.

Chrissybaby ..there was a young lad on the last trip in the Clyde..he thoroughly enjoyed it. Women and children are welcome ..just remember..you are responsibly for their safety. Just make sure your partner is aware that it is a night wild camping .. she may need to do her doings in a bush or behind a rock further along the beach. So far on all the trips I have attended ..everyone has behaved like gents..so I don’t expect there will be any issues.

This photo was from the last outing we had in the Clyde..it was too rough to cross to Arran which was part of the initial route plan..we kept to sheltered areas ..not far from shore.

There is both a SIB and a Sub in there somewhere

Lol Xk59D ... it drove me mad too..I had to search the whole of the area in case there was a village called Arron that I was not familiar with
Old 08 November 2017, 20:02   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It’s a route I have fancied for a while, but never has everything lined up to do it solo. Friendly company does slightly widen the potential. I’ll fix the spelling now for those who are easily frustrated!
Old 08 November 2017, 20:33   #27

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Will someone please rename title Arron to Arran, it is bringing out a nervous twitch reading it
Easy tiger to be honest I don't think I have ever gone to a site boating or diving expecting the weather to play ball gurnard's post of the September trip just shows how it can change like glass to force 5-6 in a few hours
Old 08 November 2017, 21:29   #28

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I’am still working on the trip and checking info out for fuel for people who need a wee top up on route. It will be decided on the day which way we head I hope we can manage the whole trip HH
Old 09 November 2017, 16:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
I hope we can manage the whole trip HH
I sincerely hope we do too HH .. that is the proposed plan

Perhaps its worth adding that on the first outing .. on that memorable night in Stirling .. while we glugged copious amounts of Guinness ..it was planned that we went to Belnahua for a wild camp ..then onto the Garvellachs before returning home.

In reality that route was changed to suit sea conditions as we travelled too.

We managed to included a trip through the Corryvrechan Whirpool then return through the Grey Dogs tide race. Next day we had to pull out of going to the Garvellachs as the weather deteriorated unexpectedly overnight. We had a bouncy journey home in big seas ..then it went flat calm once we reached Oban again.

Going through the Corry

Returning via Grey Dogs

If Poly had posted back then “SIB outing 2015 Trip through the Corryvrechan and Return via the Grey Dogs

I suspect folks would have thought that even more ambitious than a trip round Arran.

That is the nature of SIB outings .. as long as common sense prevails and we go with the flow instead of fighting the weather ..anything is possible ..and that includes a trip round Arran via Arron then onto Bute.

Im looking forward to it.
Old 09 November 2017, 17:00   #30

Town: Burnley
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I sincerely hope we do too HH .. that is the proposed plan

Perhaps its worth adding that on the first outing .. on that memorable night in Stirling .. while we glugged copious amounts of Guinness ..it was planned that we went to Belnahua for a wild camp ..then onto the Garvellachs before returning home.

In reality that route was changed to suit sea conditions as we travelled too.

We managed to included a trip through the Corryvrechan Whirpool then return through the Grey Dogs tide race. Next day we had to pull out of going to the Garvellachs as the weather deteriorated unexpectedly overnight. We had a bouncy journey home in big seas ..then it went flat calm once we reached Oban again.

Going through the Corry

Returning via Grey Dogs

If Poly had posted back then “SIB outing 2015 Trip through the Corryvrechan and Return via the Grey Dogs

I suspect folks would have thought that even more ambitious than a trip round Arran.

That is the nature of SIB outings .. as long as common sense prevails and we go with the flow instead of fighting the weather ..anything is possible ..and that includes a trip round Arran via Arron then onto Bute.

Im looking forward to it.
I'm sooo glad that I found you guys! 👍👍👍
Old 09 November 2017, 17:16   #31

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissybabe View Post
I'm sooo glad that I found you guys! 👍👍👍
You may in time regret that statement
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2017, 17:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
You may in time regret that statement
Lol I hope so!!! 👍😁👍 lol
Old 09 November 2017, 17:27   #33

Yup..Jambo’s right ... We are hard to pin down

Party Night on Belnahua 2015 outing
Old 09 November 2017, 17:29   #34

Lol anti terrorism mode???
Old 09 November 2017, 17:53   #35

If you bring the missus ..keep in with Jeff.. he likes his home comforts .. and knows how to spend his penny. ..or you may want to copy him.

The rest of us use a shovel .. some bury it ..other’s ...well we use the shovel to launch it far out to sea.

We sometimes have a competition to see who’s goes the furthest. As Im a Guinness drinker .... I never do well that competition.
Old 09 November 2017, 17:53   #36

You are not a secret detachment of the sbs are you? Either way it looks fab lol
Old 09 November 2017, 17:54   #37

Lmao!!!!!! Party games too!!!!! Really can't wait lol
Old 09 November 2017, 18:02   #38

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Engine: 20 twatsu
The trebuchet comp. Did NOT happen this year!!! My own shovel (with extending handle) would give me an unfair advantage.... If I needed to drop any ammunition!������
Old 09 November 2017, 18:24   #39

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Your right home comforts there's no way the midges are biting my aris a £20 toilet from go out doors and some cat litter in a bin liner is the way to go,ideal for the ladies and the civilised amongst us a tipi tent this year too more room for the loo
Old 10 November 2017, 18:50   #40

Lol you have not met the Mrs!!! There is NO WAY!!!! that she would fit in that lol the woman has her own orbit! Lol 👍👍👍

Tags
sib