Old 14 June 2015, 15:56   #141

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Just arrive home after a fantastic week of SIBing which culminated in the Weekend Scottish SIB meet..and Im delighted to say..all went to plan...and we wild camped on Belnahua on Saturday night. There were one or two unexpected and unplanned events which made the trip even more exciting. To find out what happened.. I will tell the tale in true Gurnard fashion.. complete with photos to back up my drivel... in a separate Post in the Rib Gallery Forum..so watch out for it starting shortly ..but first I need to have a bath.. I smell worse than a dead fish.

A1an..your venison burger was the best I have tasted..I didn’t need to cook it in gravy to get extra flavour..it was delicious served straight. I didn’t realise it was you on the Rib at Gananan..or I would have come along side for a look at you . Thanks for the feed

To the Famous Five..plus Willk.. it was great meeting you all and I had a fantastic time..hope we can do something similar again next year

Poly..thanks for the work you did in arranging it all..it is well appreciated
Old 14 June 2015, 17:27   #142

Great weather, great scenery, great company.
Can't ask for much more.
Didn't smell too great before my TCP bath tho!
Thanks for your efforts in organising the event Poly it was cracking.
Thanks also to A1an for the venison burger it really hit the the spot when we landed for dinner.
Look forward to reading The Gurnard's interpretation of the adventure - although I know how this one in particular pans out.
He really is quite the salty old sea dog
Old 14 June 2015, 17:48   #143

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Scottish SIB Gathering - 13 & 14 June 2015

Still gutted I missed this, especially as my lads team got a thrashing, I actually lost count, I had to ask another parent at the end of the match what the score was.

On a plus side, I gave the rib a good blast, nearly 100nm by lunchtime and managed a play in some rough stuff at the top of Lismore.

Anyway, I'm glad you all enjoyed it, unfortunately the jury is still out on the burgers, venison meat is meant to be red, not grey. These were a new batch my butcher put together and he gave me a couple of packets to try so you lot were the guinea pigs, tbh, I'm not that impressed with them but if they went down well then hey ho.

Looking forward to the write up.
Old 14 June 2015, 18:08   #144

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Well done you lot, sounds awesome (thought it was quiet on here last few days with Poly/willk away ).

We need to do something like this down South, sadly we have no incredible lochs of course...
Old 14 June 2015, 19:06   #145
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Anyway, I'm glad you all enjoyed it, unfortunately the jury is still out on the burgers, venison meat is meant to be red, not grey. These were a new batch my butcher put together and he gave me a couple of packets to try so you lot were the guinea pigs, tbh, I'm not that impressed with them but if they went down well then hey ho.
It may just have been an appetite after a long day at sea but I had a queue at the BBQ and they went down a treat! The only one that got sent back was because the chef had left the inside a bit too rare (read cold!).

If ours were better than yours, then you might suggest to the butcher packing them with Willk's boots for a day for extra "flavour" ;-)
Old 14 June 2015, 19:17   #146
RIBnet admin team

We met up with 10 ribnetters over the weekend with 5 boats actually completing the whole journey. Thanks to all the 'locals' who came to say hello.

For anyone looking for The Gurnard's recollections... the link is here: Scottish SIB outing 2015 by the Gurnard - RIBnet Forums

If you weren't able to join us then perhaps this has planted a seed for more small boat adventures - there were certainly bits of this trip that I felt a lot happier knowing there was someone else around. For anyone thinking of arranging something similar there really isn't much to it - all you need to do is pick a destination (or actually just a start point and a notion) and a date, the rest sorts itself. Obviously you might need friends in high places to pull off the weather!
Old 14 June 2015, 19:55   #147

We could do with some stats being posted up to remind all the guys with their 7m+, twin 250's what they are paying extra for...

So let's be having:

Distance covered
Fuel used
Max speed
Cruising speed
Old 14 June 2015, 20:49   #148
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
We could do with some stats being posted up to remind all the guys with their 7m+, twin 250's what they are paying extra for...

So let's be having:

Distance covered
Fuel used
Max speed
Cruising speed
I'm not sure if anyone was actually tracking this stuff - I'll check if my GPS was quietly doing it automagically but I think not. I've not measured accurately but from a shake of what's left in the tank roughly 30L.
Old 14 June 2015, 21:17   #149

Plotted it on MX Mariner.
38 miles day one and 23 miles day two.
Not exactly massive distances but taken at a sightseeing pace.
Got a good few litres few litres change from a 20 litreJerry Can of unleaded with my Twatsu 20hp 4 stroke.
Speeds varied - depending on conditions.
Bit choppy on the way back to Ganavan today.
All in the most fun I have had with 20 litres of motion lotion.
Old 14 June 2015, 21:19   #150

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
20litres?

I should've come with you. I blew a full 100L tank
Old 14 June 2015, 21:54   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Plotted it on MX Mariner.
38 miles day one and 23 miles day two.
Land or nautical miles?
Quote:
All in the most fun I have had with 20 litres of motion lotion.
For that money it doesn't matter much what miles it was. It could have been 60km...
Old 14 June 2015, 22:09   #152

It was land miles.
I changed the settings from nautical.
Also changed to mph.
Was sitting cruising 15 mph - 20mph most the time.
Old 15 June 2015, 14:33   #153

Make: Honwave
Engine: Mariner 25
What a tremendous weekend. Great to meet all you guys and thanks to Poly for organising. Loving The Gurnard’s postings & look forward to the more Scottish SIB gatherings and adventures.
Old 16 June 2015, 21:41   #154

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I quite fancied this initially, as usual other things came along ( friends heart attacks X2) but the main one was the local primary school fundraiser on the Sunday 14 th which has TONIGHT been cancelled due to the weather forecast !!!!!! FFS

Have a great time, I won't miss the midges but I'd have enjoyed a beer, a cigar and a bit of a natter.
Wow. Hope they have pulled through OK.
Needless to say my Puking kids were 100% by Sat evening and having spent the day being lethargic on the sofa went into Insomniac house destroying mode!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
..hope we can do something similar again next year
Next YEAR????? I can't wait that long!!!!!!!

While you lot were enjoying things I did at least manage to find a short shaft gearbox for my aging Johnson 20, so hopefully will have a reasonable amount of go soon.

Quote:
.. Poly..thanks for the work you did in arranging it all..it is well appreciated
Yep . +1. Even if I didn't make it!

Now I'm going to go and get really depressed and read Gurnard's account.......
Old 17 June 2015, 20:57   #155
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
To the Famous Five..plus Willk.. it was great meeting you all and I had a fantastic time..hope we can do something similar again next year

Poly..thanks for the work you did in arranging it all..it is well appreciated
I'll echo that sentiment - even if you DO make me sound like Timmy the Dog!

I like a spot of camping - sibbing too, so it seemed like a good plan. This is the time of year that donegaldan and I usually make a midsummer cruise and so as not to break with tradition (and p1ss him off a bit) I decided not to trouble P&O with this one. This meant that by the time I met Poly I had a 125Nm solo passage under my belt and had lost my appetite for helming - which I think suited Poly just fine. At least I was spared the sight of JK and him squabbling over the wheel again

When I RVed with Poly I was very impressed with the upgrades - a double jockey - comfort was assured! Once the rig was loaded with my crap it was pretty cozy but she managed very well in the various conditions. The Gurnard has told the Tale well on his other thread, so I'll not repeat it - but it was a mighty day's craic. The Gurnard is an interesting individual, Still Waters and all that! He was determined to land on the Garvellachs but I knew it wasn't to be from the moment he told me his Limelight story....

...anyway, a few pics from the trip:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inishtrahull - small.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	106174   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Oa - small.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	106175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rhinns of Islay - small.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	106176   Click image for larger version

Name:	West Islay - small.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	106177  
Old 17 June 2015, 20:59   #156
RIBnet Supporter

...and a few more:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp Zulu - small.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	106178   Click image for larger version

Name:	View - small.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	106179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Window - small.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	106180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oban - small.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	106181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home again - small.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	106182  

Old 17 June 2015, 21:33   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

Next YEAR????? I can't wait that long!!!!!!!

While you lot were enjoying things I did at least manage to find a short shaft gearbox for my aging Johnson 20, so hopefully will have a reasonable amount of go soon.

Im just waiting the next weather window and this 68 miles adventure is on the cards. You or anyone else interesred are more than welcome to join me

Willk ..I really enjoyed your company..and appreciated you coming a long way to be on the Belnahua adventure. I just wish I could get a SIB to Donegal..but Im not ready for that far... yet

Lovely photos ..I have not been round Islay be sea yet.. but I worked there often enough in my past..not surprising I slept in my van behind the White Hart Hotel ..Port Ellen... its even more of an eye opener than the Limelight
Old 17 June 2015, 22:15   #158
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The Gurnard....was determined to land on the Garvellachs but I knew it wasn't to be from the moment he told me his Limelight story....
Quote:
...its even more of an eye opener than the Limelight
Seeing as the fish aren't biting tonight I'll elaborate a little....

Many years ago, in a town not a million miles from me there was a hostelry called the Limelight. Lads and Lassies flocked to it from far and wide to dance and mingle. The story goes that a stranger from afar once visited for a whiles and made a fine impression on a local girl called Mary Rua Ní Gallcobhar. It was only after several nocturnal liaisons that she discovered that she was not his only love. Now, this errant Scot (for such he was) was not aware that Mary Rua came from a line of women how could "blink". Enraged to learn of his infidelity, Mary Rua placed a fierce but hasty curse on him - that there was one place where he could never again gain access Unfortunately, her blinking aim was a bit off and so the charming Scot was henceforth denied the pleasure of the Garvellachs - doomed to view them from afar for ever...
Old 18 June 2015, 08:21   #159

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Im just waiting the next weather window and this 68 miles adventure is on the cards. You or anyone else interesred are more than welcome to join me

Willk ..I really enjoyed your company..and appreciated you coming a long way to be on the Belnahua adventure. I just wish I could get a SIB to Donegal..but Im not ready for that far... yet

Lovely photos ..I have not been round Islay be sea yet.. but I worked there often enough in my past..not surprising I slept in my van behind the White Hart Hotel ..Port Ellen... its even more of an eye opener than the Limelight
gurnard

that's a cracking place did some cruising round there two years ago, apple-cross inn superb food good campsite at the back of it, sunsets that blow your mind looking forward to reading about that trip.

cheers
Old 18 June 2015, 08:23   #160

Im hoping to get it done before the end of the month Jeff..so perhaps not too long a wait