Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Upcoming RIB cruises
Click Here to Login

Old 02 June 2015, 19:17   #81

Length: 3m +
Poly... The group MMSI requires that the set being called knows its in the group. So people need to set that before going on water. Its not like group text...
Old 02 June 2015, 21:00   #82
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
The plan is starting to come together

Whilst its still too far away to be certain about the weather all the signs are promising that we should make it out into the Firth of Lorne. Exact route, destination and camp site will depend on the wind direction and strength on the day - but building on the routes discussed previously here is a wee map to put points into perspective (this is intentionally an OS map NOT a chart - don't use it for navigation). I've also included a gpx file with these points. NOTE: don't assume you can sail directly to those points (and some may actually be on land!).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SIB_Gathering.compressed.pdf (354.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: gpx sib_gathering.gpx (4.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 02 June 2015, 21:19   #83

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Whilst its still too far away to be certain about the weather all the signs are promising that we should make it out into the Firth of Lorne. Exact route, destination and camp site will depend on the wind direction and strength on the day - but building on the routes discussed previously here is a wee map to put points into perspective (this is intentionally an OS map NOT a chart - don't use it for navigation). I've also included a gpx file with these points. NOTE: don't assume you can sail directly to those points (and some may actually be on land!).
Looks like a Really good Cruise you got planned... Hope you get a bit of good weather Guys.
.....Nice bit of Planning too Poly

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2015, 19:57   #84
RIBnet admin team

The Gurnard dropped me a note:

Quote:
Is it Perhaps worth posting a tick list of stuff to consider taking ?

Reason I mention ... is I went wild camping last week with a couple of guys I know..and presumed they knew what to take.It was a hiking wild camp ..so we had to travel light. One guy was fine..the other guy weighed himself down with junk like a heavy bowie knife..tins of food etc... but didnt bring a change of clothing. We got soaked first day..so he was miserable second day and cut it short.

Here is a rough list of stuff Im taking..obviously everyone doesnt need Bucket Bogs and stoves etc.. but it might be worth mentioning stuff to take like food for two days.. change of clothes.. .. dry shoes etc

Sometimes folks miss the obvious if they are not used to it..and we cant just nip round to the shop to get matches if everyone forgets

I will have most stuff like that ..so shouldnt be a problem..but Im not supplying others with dry clothes etc

Tent
Inflatable Lilo
Sleeping bag (Kept in Dry Bag)
Change of clothing and towel (Kept in Dry Bag)
Change of footwear in case one gets wet

Food for two days
Water for two days
Cup plate knife fork spoon
Tin opener if taking tin food
Disposable BBQ and Fire wood
Portable Gaz stove and pan for boiling water for coffee
Lighter
Strong Bin Bag to remove all rubbish

Toilet paper
Toilet gear..example soap..wet ones ..deodorant
Bucket and elsan liquid

Gravy and Guiness :-D
I'd assumed you were all ugly enough to look after yourselves - but it can't do any harm!
Old 04 June 2015, 20:44   #85
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
I'd assumed you were all ugly enough to look after yourselves - but it can't do any harm!
Ugly? Check!

Stay dry, stay warm, stay fed. Common mistakes are forgetting an essential (like tent poles!) followed by really lousy packing resulting in damaged/mixed/wet/lost contents. There will be enough can-openers/matches/knives to go around but a dry change of cloths, dry sleeping bag or cooking fuel might be in scarce supply. I'll be setting my kit out this weekend and having a play - it's been a while
Old 04 June 2015, 20:48   #86

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Ugly? Check!

Stay dry, stay warm, stay fed. Common mistakes are forgetting an essential (like tent poles!) followed by really lousy packing resulting in damaged/mixed/wet/lost contents. There will be enough can-openers/matches/knives to go around but a dry change of cloths, dry sleeping bag or cooking fuel might be in scarce supply. I'll be setting my kit out this weekend and having a play - it's been a while

Jesus are you going!!?

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2015, 20:51   #87
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Jesus are you going!!?
That would appear to be the case at present - time will tell....
Old 04 June 2015, 21:07   #88

Milling over in my mind all that I need to pack for this little
excursion.
The weight of liquid alone - petrol, water, beer and drinking spirit is enough to give you a hernia!
This is going to be one heavy little Sib.
Will be a case of launch the Sib from the trailer - then a dozen trips to and from the car to transfer and pack up the goodies for the trip.
Same again when bringing the Sib ashore for the camp.
Hope the weather plays ball and my back holds out!
Midgies were hell tonight in my back garden - hope they are slower of the mark up in Argyle!
Old 04 June 2015, 21:22   #89
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Jesus
don't call him that he's already got a Messiah complex!

Quote:
are you going!!?
you know what he's like if someone offers him a free shotty in their boat ;-)
Old 04 June 2015, 21:27   #90
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
...you know what he's like if someone offers him a free shotty in their boat ;-)
Free Shots?!?
Old 04 June 2015, 21:28   #91
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Hope the weather plays ball
The latest forecasts are encouraging.

Quote:
Midgies were hell tonight in my back garden - hope they are slower of the mark up in Argyle!
That is unlikely - when underway usually they are fine but it would be wise to come armed for camp!
Old 04 June 2015, 21:34   #92

Shots in a boat that's a bit risky!

Just wondering if the camping spot for the Saturday night is known / been done before.
And if so would one need rock pegs to set up a tent, furthermore what type of shoreline is it likely to be.
Just thinking about getting the Sib out of the water above high tide mark or whether overnight anchoring is the way to go.
Old 04 June 2015, 21:38   #93

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
[QUOTE=Poly;680854]don't call him that he's already got a Messiah complex!

I know my place. You obviously don't!!

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2015, 22:03   #94
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Shots in a boat that's a bit risky!

Just wondering if the camping spot for the Saturday night is known / been done before.
And if so would one need rock pegs to set up a tent, furthermore what type of shoreline is it likely to be.
Just thinking about getting the Sib out of the water above high tide mark or whether overnight anchoring is the way to go.
Kaman - there are a few options for camping which depend on both the wind direction and strength. We may not make a final decision until the day, or possibly even after arriving. The Gurnard or his brother have visited the likely sites previously. I've assumed ordinary tent pegs will be ok.

Personally my boat is too big to easily bring ashore so I will probably anchor it. I am assuming that between us we will manage to manhandle any boats which are better stored ashore. Obviously inflatable rollers like the Gurnard uses would make life simpler.
Old 04 June 2015, 22:26   #95

No worries Poly.
Had a bad experience in the Lakes trying to pitch a 6 man tent in a stiff breeze with wire tent pegs on rocky ground - never again!
I'll stick 8 rock pegs in the bag to be on the safe side.
My preference would be to pull my Sib clear of high tide on its transom wheels as I only have a crappy Grapnel anchor.
I'm sure there will be enough muscle around to carry the Sib to the top of the nearest Munro
Old 06 June 2015, 13:55   #96

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
The weight of liquid alone - petrol, water, beer and drinking spirit is enough to give you a hernia!
This is going to be one heavy little Sib.
Will be a case of launch the Sib from the trailer - then a dozen trips to and from the car to transfer and pack up the goodies for the trip.

Kaman
The secret of camping from a small SIB is to ensure that anything you bring ...has at least two uses.

Example..
I discovered a lot of empty space inside the inflatable rollers..so rather than waste that space..Im filling it with my Guinness.

The guinness has multi uses too.. as well as quenching my thirst..it makes tasty burger gravy.. helps me sleep at night.. and in case of an accident..can be used as an effective pain killer.

On a serious note.. it sould be remembered that the slipway at Ganavan is off a council car park. Although the use of the slip is free.. you will need to feed the parking meter with pound coins to leave your vehicle. Last year it was £2 for the full day. Although there are "No Overnight Parking" signs in the carpark.. Poly contacted the council and they are happy to let us leave the vehicles and trailers ..all we need do is buy two tickets on the Saturday..to cover the two days.

So ensure you have £4 of coins the put in the meter. If I have had too much gravy ..and got this mixed up..Im sure Poly will correct me
Old 06 June 2015, 17:59   #97
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Kaman
The secret of camping from a small SIB is to ensure that anything you bring ...has at least two uses.

Example..
I discovered a lot of empty space inside the inflatable rollers..so rather than waste that space..Im filling it with my Guinness.

The guinness has multi uses too.. as well as quenching my thirst..it makes tasty burger gravy.. helps me sleep at night.. and in case of an accident..can be used as an effective pain killer.

On a serious note.. it sould be remembered that the slipway at Ganavan is off a council car park. Although the use of the slip is free.. you will need to feed the parking meter with pound coins to leave your vehicle. Last year it was £2 for the full day. Although there are "No Overnight Parking" signs in the carpark.. Poly contacted the council and they are happy to let us leave the vehicles and trailers ..all we need do is buy two tickets on the Saturday..to cover the two days.

So ensure you have £4 of coins the put in the meter. If I have had too much gravy ..and got this mixed up..Im sure Poly will correct me
Gurnard is spot on with the parking arrangements. It should be noted that argyll and bute council were very welcoming. We are getting close to being confident enough about the weather to publish a preliminary plan. I'll include directions for funding the car park if any of you are not used to the oban one way system!
Old 07 June 2015, 20:13   #98

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
to put you in the mood

https://www.calmac.co.uk/friends/alright
Old 08 June 2015, 12:01   #99

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Really sorry guys I'm going to have to duck out.
My brother has been told he has to work, doubling my fuel costs for the 12 hour round trip and I've got a cracked rib after a tumble on my bike at the weekend!! Some things are not meant to be!
Apologies, many thanks to gurnard & poly for the fantastic organisation. Hope you get good weather!
Old 08 June 2015, 16:33   #100
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
Really sorry guys I'm going to have to duck out.
My brother has been told he has to work, doubling my fuel costs for the 12 hour round trip and I've got a cracked rib after a tumble on my bike at the weekend!! Some things are not meant to be!
Apologies, many thanks to gurnard & poly for the fantastic organisation. Hope you get good weather!
Jwatson - sorry to hear that. The weather is indeed looking excellent and you will miss out! Without tempting fate, Belnahua looks to be on (but campsite will be determined when we see the swell!) and the Gurnard is getting excited about finally seeing the monastic beehives on the Garvellachs... ...and we have a potential invitation to visit Fladda.

Assuming the weather plan remains we will probably only head South from Oban, and not include Lismore this time, which does leave an opportunity for a return visit.