Old 08 May 2015, 04:46   #61

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Unless I can find a replacement inlet manifold or borrow an engine before the event I'll be running a 3.40 with a 5.......

Old 08 May 2015, 04:57   #62

Town: Glasgow
Make: Waveline
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF8
RIBase
Quick question. Is there communication between boats when we're on the water. If so, how? Is VHF used or do people use PMR in the absence of a VHF cert.

Old 08 May 2015, 07:24   #63
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufft View Post
Quick question. Is there communication between boats when we're on the water. If so, how? Is VHF used or do people use PMR in the absence of a VHF cert.
Mostly by talking to each other face to face!

However most boats will have VHF, and if there is any long range or "multiboat" discussion it will be on a VHF channel to be appointed nearer the time.

I'd strongly recommend a VHF. You can legally carry and listen as well as broadcast in an emergency without a license.
Old 08 May 2015, 07:27   #64

RIBase
Thanks polly. I have been looking getting one but unsure whether to get one with our without dsc. Without is a lot cheaper although I'm thinking that it's going to be outdated to not have dsc
Old 08 May 2015, 10:25   #65

Town: Winchburgh west Lothian
Make: BWM 500 Dive Rib
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp +5hp Mariners
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Mostly by talking to each other face to face!

However most boats will have VHF, and if there is any long range or "multiboat" discussion it will be on a VHF channel to be appointed nearer the time.

I'd strongly recommend a VHF. You can legally carry and listen as well as broadcast in an emergency without a license.
Answered my question before I asked it......
Old 08 May 2015, 12:08   #66

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I can only talk for myself ... but in a SIB ...You will probably find Im a man of few words.. and tend to follow a crowd.. supplementing my pension by collecting bits that fall off boats... so beware .. . Im hoping to find a inlet manifold fall off one your boats..so I can sell it to 9D280

Poly communicates with quotes..so Im sure he will be looking out for any weaknesses you may exhibit.

I will have a VHF but Im a deaf old git ..especially with a 2 stroke engine running beside my hearing aid..so I wont hear you yell on a radio ..but if you wave.. I promise that I will wave back.

I can get quite vocal with after dinner aperitif though..and if you are within hearing range then.. I will be delighted to listen. I am looking forward to meeting everyone...and hearing your sea yarns at the end of the long days trick.

I wouldn’t worry if anyone doesn’t have a VHF ..its a safety in numbers game we are playing.. Im sure everyone will look out for each other
Old 08 May 2015, 13:03   #67

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
If any of you want a taster of Loch Etive and a proposed wild camp site there ...if the sea is a bit windy..this video will perhaps put you in the mood ..how not to do it

Old 08 May 2015, 21:13   #68

D'oh!
I thot I had retracted that video post of me and the boy's up Loch Etive.
Lucky we never sank at the mercy of a 5 inch wave - due to the amount of cargo we had on board that day!!!!
All well that ends well!
Must remember to pack my black and white portable TV again - celebrity Big Brother is on in June.
Lol!
Can take the boy out Glasgow.
But you can't take Glasgow out the boy!
Buckfast ahoy!
Old 09 May 2015, 03:36   #69

DSC vs Analogue only...

For this trip Analogue would be 99.9% fine. Sure if you go disastrously wrong, loose the fleet end up swimming and remembered to clip it on it might serve a purpose. But it might not as at 6W your range is about 5miles. On a good day to a high mast the digital might hit 10miles if there are no hills in the way.

If you were in company of boats with chart plotters etc then there becomes SOME logic that smaller boats can get a pos report on their screen...

Some of the boats may have a 25W on a battery... If its going really wrong they may need to relay a message anyway in which case the only advantage of DSC is they can see ur pos and relay it, if they have dry paper and pencil to write it down.

If you are future proofing... Handheld DSC isn't illogical. But If I wanted the red button assurance on a handheld I'd PLB every time. (With HH Analogue VHF). At least you know the range should be good enough that way. Probably more expensive.
Old 14 May 2015, 07:20   #70

RIBase
Change my status to definitely. 1 car, 1 SIB, 1 tent, 1 person. No trailer. Friday to Sunday