Old 08 May 2015, 08:46   #61

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Unless I can find a replacement inlet manifold or borrow an engine before the event I'll be running a 3.40 with a 5.......
Old 08 May 2015, 08:57   #62

Town: Glasgow
Make: Waveline
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF8
RIBase
Quick question. Is there communication between boats when we're on the water. If so, how? Is VHF used or do people use PMR in the absence of a VHF cert.
Old 08 May 2015, 11:24   #63
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufft View Post
Quick question. Is there communication between boats when we're on the water. If so, how? Is VHF used or do people use PMR in the absence of a VHF cert.
Mostly by talking to each other face to face!

However most boats will have VHF, and if there is any long range or "multiboat" discussion it will be on a VHF channel to be appointed nearer the time.

I'd strongly recommend a VHF. You can legally carry and listen as well as broadcast in an emergency without a license.
Old 08 May 2015, 11:27   #64

RIBase
Thanks polly. I have been looking getting one but unsure whether to get one with our without dsc. Without is a lot cheaper although I'm thinking that it's going to be outdated to not have dsc
Old 08 May 2015, 14:25   #65

Town: Winchburgh west Lothian
Boat name: Papa Bear V1
Make: Humber 5.3 Ataque
Engine: 40 Mercury four stro
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Mostly by talking to each other face to face!

However most boats will have VHF, and if there is any long range or "multiboat" discussion it will be on a VHF channel to be appointed nearer the time.

I'd strongly recommend a VHF. You can legally carry and listen as well as broadcast in an emergency without a license.
Answered my question before I asked it......
Old 08 May 2015, 16:08   #66

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I can only talk for myself ... but in a SIB ...You will probably find Im a man of few words.. and tend to follow a crowd.. supplementing my pension by collecting bits that fall off boats... so beware .. . Im hoping to find a inlet manifold fall off one your boats..so I can sell it to 9D280

Poly communicates with quotes..so Im sure he will be looking out for any weaknesses you may exhibit.

I will have a VHF but Im a deaf old git ..especially with a 2 stroke engine running beside my hearing aid..so I wont hear you yell on a radio ..but if you wave.. I promise that I will wave back.

I can get quite vocal with after dinner aperitif though..and if you are within hearing range then.. I will be delighted to listen. I am looking forward to meeting everyone...and hearing your sea yarns at the end of the long days trick.

I wouldn’t worry if anyone doesn’t have a VHF ..its a safety in numbers game we are playing.. Im sure everyone will look out for each other
Old 08 May 2015, 17:03   #67

If any of you want a taster of Loch Etive and a proposed wild camp site there ...if the sea is a bit windy..this video will perhaps put you in the mood ..how not to do it

Old 09 May 2015, 01:13   #68

D'oh!
I thot I had retracted that video post of me and the boy's up Loch Etive.
Lucky we never sank at the mercy of a 5 inch wave - due to the amount of cargo we had on board that day!!!!
All well that ends well!
Must remember to pack my black and white portable TV again - celebrity Big Brother is on in June.
Lol!
Can take the boy out Glasgow.
But you can't take Glasgow out the boy!
Buckfast ahoy!
Old 09 May 2015, 07:36   #69

DSC vs Analogue only...

For this trip Analogue would be 99.9% fine. Sure if you go disastrously wrong, loose the fleet end up swimming and remembered to clip it on it might serve a purpose. But it might not as at 6W your range is about 5miles. On a good day to a high mast the digital might hit 10miles if there are no hills in the way.

If you were in company of boats with chart plotters etc then there becomes SOME logic that smaller boats can get a pos report on their screen...

Some of the boats may have a 25W on a battery... If its going really wrong they may need to relay a message anyway in which case the only advantage of DSC is they can see ur pos and relay it, if they have dry paper and pencil to write it down.

If you are future proofing... Handheld DSC isn't illogical. But If I wanted the red button assurance on a handheld I'd PLB every time. (With HH Analogue VHF). At least you know the range should be good enough that way. Probably more expensive.
Old 14 May 2015, 11:20   #70

RIBase
Change my status to definitely. 1 car, 1 SIB, 1 tent, 1 person. No trailer. Friday to Sunday
Old 14 May 2015, 17:54   #71

Its still early days yet for finalising plans ..and I will let Poly do that.. as it was his idea.

However I notice a few of us are arriving on the Friday. I will be there on Friday too and if it is a decent day at all..will probably plan to be in Taynuilt for the morning. .with a view of Launching at Kelly’s Pier for an afternoon on Loch Etive. I know a few marks not far from Bonawe that can produce codling, ling, spur dog, thornback ray, and of course gurnard. Its too early for mackerel. If anyone else is interested on a Friday fish..or quick look at Loch Etive..perhaps we can plan to meet up?

As for staying overnigh on Friday ..again there are a couple of options.. possibly weather dependant. There is a decent campsite that I may stay at on the outskirts of Oban. There are B & Bs or hotels too..but I will possibly give them a miss..to comfortable for my liking

Oban Caravan and Camping Park

Or if the weather is decent..I may SIB over to Kererra from Ganavan Sands and wild camp there for the Friday night ..so Im handy for the Saturday meet up.

Im open to suggestions from others arriving on the Friday as nothing is cast in stone . Anyone else with any thoughts for the Friday ? Perhaps we can bounce a few ideas around.

Here is a small map showing these locations

Old 14 May 2015, 18:16   #72

Morning fishing on Loch Etive followed by a camp on Kererra sounds mighty fine to me.
I'll be up for that if the weather plays ball.
Old 15 May 2015, 17:14   #73

RIBase
Not into fishing but would like to have a wee trip round loch etive with the knowledge that there are others close by,as I have not done much boating in the sea.
Old 15 May 2015, 17:32   #74

Its a beautiful Loch to explore BMB779 ..Im sure you will be impressed by the scenery.. and it even has a small seal colony.

The shore at Kelly’s pier is a doddle to launch from too.

Good weather or not so good..its a great place for a wee boat
Old 16 May 2015, 20:46   #75

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Its a beautiful Loch to explore BMB779 ..Im sure you will be impressed by the scenery.. and it even has a small seal colony.

The shore at Kelly’s pier is a doddle to launch from too.

Good weather or not so good..its a great place for a wee boat
Looks great can't wait,launch site looks really good.
Old 16 May 2015, 23:05   #76

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
If it isn't lashing it down I'm up for a bit of fishing in Etive on the Friday.
Old 19 May 2015, 11:56   #77

Town: Inverness area
Make: Honwave
Engine: Honda 20hp
Other camping options

I plan to meet up with you all on Saturday Morning at Ganavan before the 10am launch time.

Other camping options are North Ledaig Caravan Site just over the Connel Bridge - maybe a bit nearer your Loch Etive run out on Friday.
North Ledaig Caravan Club Site | UK Caravan Club Sites | The Caravan Club

They also have a slip way and some trailer park / storage if spaces are available.
Old 19 May 2015, 15:21   #78

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i don't think I am going to be able to make this lads sorry cash is tight and I still have to pay for the week on the island of luing and find money for while we are there have fun catch lots of fish and im sure im missing out on a good laugh
Old 30 May 2015, 08:27   #79
RIBnet admin team

Well folks, it's two weeks to go...

It's still too far out to have any realistic chance of predicting the weather. The long term forecast suggest that there will be a week of fine weather the week after next, but it might be more changeable over the weekend in question. The good news is that even the worst forecasts aren't predicting really horrible winds so *at the moment* it looks like we should get afloat somewhere!
Old 02 June 2015, 18:17   #80
RIBnet admin team

10 days to go, so time for a few points for people to keep in mind:

(1) Fuel — there is virtually nowhere to fuel afloat in the area. The Tesco in Oban, and the Esso at Dunstaffnage are within walking distance if you have a trolley BUT they are so close to Gannavan to be of little advantage. Melfort Pier and Linnhe Marine, if you reach that far, both suggest they offer petrol by the can, but certainly if a group of people all turn up looking for 20L they won't be able to help.

(2) Water — there is no fresh water on Belnahua (the likely campsite in good weather). You will need to carry any fresh water you need for hydration, washing, cooking.

(3) Firewood — if you want to benefit from a cosy camp fire you might want to bring some dry wood with you.

(4) BBQ / Waste — disposable BBQs are an easy way to cook your dinner (or your catch if you are lucky!) but we can't leave any waste so have a think about how you will will get the manky thing back with you!

(5) Towing — if we get a dozen boats its quite possible someone will need a tow at some point! It could be you: please check you have suitable strong points for a tow line / bridle. Please be aware your boat may not get towed back to the start.

I realise people might not make a final plan until they see the weather but it would help me if you could via PM (i) Confirm the colour of your boat [or any other distinctive features!] (ii) confirm your boat name / VHF callsign (iii) if you have DSC then your MMSI number [if there are enough I'll dust off the instructions for the group MMSI!] (iv) A mobile number [which will NOT be published online].

Looking forward to seeing you all a week on Saturday. Hope the weather is good on the Friday for those planning to extend the weekend.