Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Hope the weather plays ball
The latest forecasts are encouraging.

Quote:
Midgies were hell tonight in my back garden - hope they are slower of the mark up in Argyle!
That is unlikely - when underway usually they are fine but it would be wise to come armed for camp!
Old 04 June 2015, 17:34   #92

Shots in a boat that's a bit risky!

Just wondering if the camping spot for the Saturday night is known / been done before.
And if so would one need rock pegs to set up a tent, furthermore what type of shoreline is it likely to be.
Just thinking about getting the Sib out of the water above high tide mark or whether overnight anchoring is the way to go.

Old 04 June 2015, 17:38   #93
RIBnet supporter

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
[QUOTE=Poly;680854]don't call him that he's already got a Messiah complex!

I know my place. You obviously don't!!

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2015, 18:03   #94
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Quote:
Shots in a boat that's a bit risky!

Just wondering if the camping spot for the Saturday night is known / been done before.
And if so would one need rock pegs to set up a tent, furthermore what type of shoreline is it likely to be.
Just thinking about getting the Sib out of the water above high tide mark or whether overnight anchoring is the way to go.
Kaman - there are a few options for camping which depend on both the wind direction and strength. We may not make a final decision until the day, or possibly even after arriving. The Gurnard or his brother have visited the likely sites previously. I've assumed ordinary tent pegs will be ok.

Personally my boat is too big to easily bring ashore so I will probably anchor it. I am assuming that between us we will manage to manhandle any boats which are better stored ashore. Obviously inflatable rollers like the Gurnard uses would make life simpler.
Old 04 June 2015, 18:26   #95

No worries Poly.
Had a bad experience in the Lakes trying to pitch a 6 man tent in a stiff breeze with wire tent pegs on rocky ground - never again!
I'll stick 8 rock pegs in the bag to be on the safe side.
My preference would be to pull my Sib clear of high tide on its transom wheels as I only have a crappy Grapnel anchor.
I'm sure there will be enough muscle around to carry the Sib to the top of the nearest Munro
Old 06 June 2015, 09:55   #96

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
The weight of liquid alone - petrol, water, beer and drinking spirit is enough to give you a hernia!
This is going to be one heavy little Sib.
Will be a case of launch the Sib from the trailer - then a dozen trips to and from the car to transfer and pack up the goodies for the trip.

Kaman
The secret of camping from a small SIB is to ensure that anything you bring ...has at least two uses.

Example..
I discovered a lot of empty space inside the inflatable rollers..so rather than waste that space..Im filling it with my Guinness.

The guinness has multi uses too.. as well as quenching my thirst..it makes tasty burger gravy.. helps me sleep at night.. and in case of an accident..can be used as an effective pain killer.

On a serious note.. it sould be remembered that the slipway at Ganavan is off a council car park. Although the use of the slip is free.. you will need to feed the parking meter with pound coins to leave your vehicle. Last year it was 2 for the full day. Although there are "No Overnight Parking" signs in the carpark.. Poly contacted the council and they are happy to let us leave the vehicles and trailers ..all we need do is buy two tickets on the Saturday..to cover the two days.

So ensure you have 4 of coins the put in the meter. If I have had too much gravy ..and got this mixed up..Im sure Poly will correct me
Old 06 June 2015, 13:59   #97
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Kaman
The secret of camping from a small SIB is to ensure that anything you bring ...has at least two uses.

Example..
I discovered a lot of empty space inside the inflatable rollers..so rather than waste that space..Im filling it with my Guinness.

The guinness has multi uses too.. as well as quenching my thirst..it makes tasty burger gravy.. helps me sleep at night.. and in case of an accident..can be used as an effective pain killer.

On a serious note.. it sould be remembered that the slipway at Ganavan is off a council car park. Although the use of the slip is free.. you will need to feed the parking meter with pound coins to leave your vehicle. Last year it was 2 for the full day. Although there are "No Overnight Parking" signs in the carpark.. Poly contacted the council and they are happy to let us leave the vehicles and trailers ..all we need do is buy two tickets on the Saturday..to cover the two days.

So ensure you have 4 of coins the put in the meter. If I have had too much gravy ..and got this mixed up..Im sure Poly will correct me
Gurnard is spot on with the parking arrangements. It should be noted that argyll and bute council were very welcoming. We are getting close to being confident enough about the weather to publish a preliminary plan. I'll include directions for funding the car park if any of you are not used to the oban one way system!
Old 07 June 2015, 16:13   #98

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
to put you in the mood

https://www.calmac.co.uk/friends/alright
Old 08 June 2015, 08:01   #99

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Really sorry guys I'm going to have to duck out.
My brother has been told he has to work, doubling my fuel costs for the 12 hour round trip and I've got a cracked rib after a tumble on my bike at the weekend!! Some things are not meant to be!
Apologies, many thanks to gurnard & poly for the fantastic organisation. Hope you get good weather!
Old 08 June 2015, 12:33   #100
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
Really sorry guys I'm going to have to duck out.
My brother has been told he has to work, doubling my fuel costs for the 12 hour round trip and I've got a cracked rib after a tumble on my bike at the weekend!! Some things are not meant to be!
Apologies, many thanks to gurnard & poly for the fantastic organisation. Hope you get good weather!
Jwatson - sorry to hear that. The weather is indeed looking excellent and you will miss out! Without tempting fate, Belnahua looks to be on (but campsite will be determined when we see the swell!) and the Gurnard is getting excited about finally seeing the monastic beehives on the Garvellachs... ...and we have a potential invitation to visit Fladda.

Assuming the weather plan remains we will probably only head South from Oban, and not include Lismore this time, which does leave an opportunity for a return visit.