Old 07 January 2016, 10:37   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Scottish SIB Gathering 11/12 JUNE 2016

Regular readers will recall some scottish SIBbers gathering in Oban last june to wild camp on the deserted island of Belnahua:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/scottis...+SIB+Gathering

and no doubt fans of the Gurnard's prose will particularly remember his account of the trip:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/scottis...+SIB+Gathering

Well this year we are planning to congregate again. This time I've picked the Clyde coast, which might make it easier for some from the south or even across the sea to reach if so inclined!

All the details are attached. The philosophy will be the same as last year - a bunch of boats cruising together at probably < 15 knots average speed and all looking out for each other whilst still being self sufficient. Camping remains the most flexible option (changing with the weather) but there is more potential for anyone who wants something more luxurious this year.

If anyone fancies getting involved in fine tuning the plans - we will probably meet in or near Stirling for a little refreshment and hand waving over the charts sometime around Easter.

It would be useful if people could indicate their interest below so we can keep you up-to-date with developments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SIB2016.compressed.pdf (233.3 KB, 315 views)
Old 07 January 2016, 11:01   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Poly...white horses wont keep me away !!

Willk told me some story about a lady on the Garvellachs ... at last years meeting. I cant remember the full story..but he assured me it was why I have never managed to land there.

I can confirm that I have seen the Lady of the Inch ..so landing on that island is not so difficult. However .. to preserve her ..from folks like me..they re-buried her but much deeper this time.

The Queen of the Inch

So yup..count me in again
Old 07 January 2016, 21:13   #3

As per last year Poly - I will 100% definitely be there.
Again thanks for your efforts organising this year's Sib excursion.
Old 07 January 2016, 21:34   #4

Ooooooooooft!
If this lady comes knocking on my tent door, I'm sending her to onwards to someone else......
Your welcome😂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452206002484.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	110287  
Old 07 January 2016, 21:42   #5

Ahhhhh that's it The Queen of The Inch - she's a dead ringer of the mother in law in her younger days........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452206379517.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	110288  
Old 08 January 2016, 16:06   #6

Town: Rothesay
Boat name: Solo Angel
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 150hp
MMSI: 235113072
Count me in for this one.
Old 08 January 2016, 16:50   #7

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
Count me in for this one.

You got a sib Paul as well as your 6m rib?

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2016, 19:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
You got a sib Paul as well as your 6m rib?

I do indeed. Is it going to be SIB only as I probably would take the rib, but if not allowed...could take the sib.
Old 08 January 2016, 20:04   #9

Quote:
I do indeed. Is it going to be SIB only as I probably would take the rib, but if not allowed...could take the sib.
Last year they described it as S*IB with a footnote * = Small rather than Soft. If you were suspicious Poly owns a hard boat not a soft boat. All the 'entrants' were 4m or less I think.

Cruising speed <15kts is the key thing I think. The big boats will be bored.

They can't turn you away because its not a ticketed event - you can of course turn up in a submarine and chase them about... BUT ...last year a couple of folks suggested they;d bring there big RIBs along as safety cover and I think it was, ahem, er, subtly hinted that maybe doing 60NM in a SIB with a 10m RIB 100m away "just in case" might be slightly less adventurous than a SIB doing it among only other SIBs.

The other reason big boats may be less suited is they are highly likely to find some rocky beach to come ashore on and wild camp on the beach. You'd need to anchor it and come in on a SIB which would be fine. But do you ever anchor and leave your RIB overnight? Most people worry about dragging when wind/tide change direction... You may not be camped directly next to the anchorage... I think poly may have anchored last year from the write ups but run a line ashore but his boat will take a far bigger pounding that a GRP boat on a rocky shallow...

You'll prefer the whole experience in the SIB...

The PDF says -- small ribs. I don't think 6m is small.
Old 08 January 2016, 21:01   #10

RIBase
Scottish SIB Gathering 11/12 JUNE 2016

Yep I was one of the caring ribs that offered safety and to carry for them. But as you say I was turned with my tail between my legs. I can't remember who the other ribber was that got same treatment 👍😇

Old 08 January 2016, 21:24   #11

Quote:
Yep I was one of the caring ribs that offered safety and to carry for them. But as you say I was turned with my tail between my legs. I can't remember who the other ribber was that got same treatment 👍😇
'Twas Dougcrook

As an onlooker who wasn't involved - I can see there point. I've done things (non-boaty) that have been adventurous. Some where even with a guide or safety in some form it has still for me been an adventure because I've never done that length of venture before etc. But the more experienced don't feel it an adventure. If you would do 15NM on a day alone with no concerns, do you need help to do 30NM?

I seem to recall doing my DoE Bronze Award and because it was a bit cold or some sh1t, and we were an hour l8 some do-gooder instructor type said we had to patch tents but "camp" indoors. The girls with us seemed very cool with that. They boys who were probably a bit more used to adventure felt cheated. (Never did Silver or Gold... !) We would all have been absolutely fine in a tent - we were miles off genuine risk.
Old 08 January 2016, 22:14   #12

RIBase
Both Doug and myself offered with good intentions and were not going to interfere with their 'adventure ' but just be in the area as back up if need. There was and is plenty gor us to do on our own but still be there for them if needed. Good intentions are sometimes miss interpreted!!
I wish them well this year on my home waters. 👍👍

Old 08 January 2016, 22:40   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Yep I was one of the caring ribs that offered safety and to carry for them. But as you say I was turned with my tail between my legs. I can't remember who the other ribber was that got same treatment ����
I considered offering, but the omens weren't good. Instead, I concealed* the willkcraft in Kerrera for the duration and joined "the wee boats" for a couple of days craic in the intertidal zone. I even egged them out into the Corry in pure badness to repay them for their ingratitude towards the RIB owners of the world....

*Easier than I had thought. There were 74 WAFI boat crews in there pretending that they couldn't see her.
Old 08 January 2016, 22:46   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
*Easier than I had thought. There were 74 WAFI boat crews in there pretending that they couldn't see her.
You could probably have left it on the dinghy jetty and people would have assumed it was from a proper big boat with sails!
Old 09 January 2016, 00:27   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Paul - it certainly isn't SIB only. As Shiny Shoe suggests that would technically disqualify myself. I interpret the S of sib very liberally! Soft - Slow - Small - etc... Let me first say though that you'd be welcome with whichever boat you want to bring - the lovely thing about SIB owners is there really is no pretention. My "crew"* last year arrived on a lovely 10m rib before joining the somewhat simplistic facilities on "RIB Imposter". Its simply people messing about in wee boats for fun.

However my gut feel is you'd actually enjoy it more in a SIB (assuming you can plane with all your camping kit aboard) because otherwise it will be a bit like a trip to the shops.

The only rule of the Scottish SIB Gathering is that there are no rules because its not a formal event - just a bunch of people with a shared interest in the same place at the same time!

* deadweight to give the others a chance ;-)

Quote:
Yep I was one of the caring ribs that offered safety and to carry for them. But as you say I was turned with my tail between my legs. I can't remember who the other ribber was that got same treatment ����
I'm not quite sure how we managed to offend some people who offered support last year for the inaugural trip but I am quite sure no offence was intended. Anyone who wants to join the whole trip or "pop in" to say hello is more than welcome - last year Tony and his wife joined us for the evening in Belnahua before returning to a comfortable bed!

The other rule of the Scottish SIB Gathering is that we won't exceed the limits of the conditions for the small / soft / slow boats we have and so we shouldn't find ourselves in need of "big boat support". That said, when the charts come out in the pub there are certainly some ideas that get shared where big boat support would be thoroughly helpful - anyone fancy big RIB support for a trip to St Kilda or into the depths of Knoydart or Ardnamurchan from Oban...

We don't have any formal aims but the whole idea came about through a desire to:

- Encourage others to explore a wider area of Scottish waters and the amazing boating environment we have.
- Show that even small or soft inflatables can provide huge entertainment and cruising potential.
- Provide a mechanism for people to get together on more adventurous longer trips.

And for me personally, most importantly:

- To offer smaller boats the potential to benefit from the type of "cruise" enjoyed by the bigger RIBs who are comfortable cruising at c. 25+ knots.

I guess the message is - anyone can join in - but unless we may need to adapt the destination to suit the forecast given the expected boats!
Old 09 January 2016, 00:36   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
And for me personally, most importantly:

- To offer smaller boats the potential to benefit from the type of "cruise" enjoyed by the bigger RIBs who are comfortable cruising at c. 25+ knots.
I thought it was so you could show off what a hard boat could do and convince all these guys with there overgrown innertubes with an engine strapped to the back to switch to poly-boats? This year has been the first year I've seen them discussed in ernest since your marketing trip...
Old 09 January 2016, 00:56   #17

Dunno about anyone else but the key to this thread is in the title.
No objections to a few of the local guys in their Ribs tagging along for the banter / support.
If it turned into a flotilla of Ribs circling around our floating beach toys like over protective parent's, it would take the sheen off of the big adventure in my eyes.
Last year was excellent quite happy with something along the same lines this year.
Old 09 January 2016, 14:00   #18

I might just come visit you guy's camp and bring a bottle of scotch to warm us up in the evening.

If I don't go for the whole sib experience and just come visit, I will probably be sailing in the race that Saturday instead...which is a point to be aware of, it is the weekend they hold the Round Bute sailing race. It shouldn't get in your way too much, but there will be an increase in traffic around the island.
Old 09 January 2016, 15:21   #19

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I enjoy watching the larger boats going round Bute.. its generally entertaining.. and sometimes ...its them that need looked after ..

Starboard ...

STARRRR BOOOARD !....

FKNNNN ... ASSSSSS....OLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its worth mentioning that for wild camping..it is perfectly legal in small numbers.. but large flotillas are certainly not legally possible .. perhaps for RIBS.. its best waiting to see how many SIBs are camping before a dose of RIBs come along ? Its quite a populated area..so don’t want to upset locals with Viking Style raids on their beaches ...it is my old home waters too... and as such...suspect the locals will repel large landing parties
Old 09 January 2016, 17:22   #20

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I enjoy watching the larger boats going round Bute.. its generally entertaining.. and sometimes ...its them that need looked after ..

Starboard ...

STARRRR BOOOARD !....

FKNNNN ... ASSSSSS....OLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its worth mentioning that for wild camping..it is perfectly legal in small numbers.. but large flotillas are certainly not legally possible .. perhaps for RIBS.. its best waiting to see how many SIBs are camping before a dose of RIBs come along ? Its quite a populated area..so don’t want to upset locals with Viking Style raids on their beaches ...it is my old home waters too... and as such...suspect the locals will repel large landing parties

RIB...SIB...JETSKI....KYAK..or TARDIS..
Surly it's a matter of conduct and (to a lesser extent) numbers that maters....???
Or are you in danger of becoming ...."SIBist"???

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote