Old 10 January 2016, 14:36   #31

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
I have just bought a Pioner 12 rigid boat as I need a different tender to get from my boathouse out to my mooring. I do have a sib, but it is so rocky with some pretty sharp rocks that I always feel I am going to ruin the sib, so wanted something that was a bit more resilient. Just wondered how it will go with a 5hp on it.
Slowly?

Old 10 January 2016, 15:14   #32

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Slowly?

Hi Paul..Im not sure of the Pioner12 ..but max HP is 5HP ..no mention if it planes on the web site.

Pioner 10..is a displacement boat it states that on the website ..max HP is 5 too

Pioner 13 is planing hull and Max HP is 15. It states ..easily planes

Vids on utube show Pioner 12 at displacement speeds
Vids on Utube show Pioner 13 planing

Based on that I suspect its a displacement boat and my 12ft displacement boat has a 4hp.. and goes 4-5 knots. Displacement speed is generally dependent of the length of the boat..so suspect it will have similar properties to my Highlander Family Fisherman 12ft. If I put a 6hp on my displacement.. all that happens is the sea gets churned up more at the wake..and its bow rises higher..but speed stays the same.

Of course..if it planes..it a different kettle of fish..but I can find no reference to that boat planing ? Did you ask if it planes when you got it ?

Old 10 January 2016, 16:03   #33

Town: Rothesay
Boat name: Solo Angel
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 150hp
MMSI: 235113072
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post

Hi Paul..Im not sure of the Pioner12 ..but max HP is 5HP ..no mention if it planes on the web site.

Pioner 10..is a displacement boat it states that on the website ..max HP is 5 too

Pioner 13 is planing hull and Max HP is 15. It states ..easily planes

Vids on utube show Pioner 12 at displacement speeds
Vids on Utube show Pioner 13 planing

Based on that I suspect its a displacement boat and my 12ft displacement boat has a 4hp.. and goes 4-5 knots. Displacement speed is generally dependent of the length of the boat..so suspect it will have similar properties to my Highlander Family Fisherman 12ft. If I put a 6hp on my displacement.. all that happens is the sea gets churned up more at the wake..and its bow rises higher..but speed stays the same.

Of course..if it planes..it a different kettle of fish..but I can find no reference to that boat planing ? Did you ask if it planes when you got it ?
Not sure, I just bought it off the sailing club. They were donated it by someone. I wanted a tender with a wheel on the bottom that could take a bit of a licking from the pretty sharp rocks. I do have transom wheels on the sib, but it is a bit iffy getting it through the small channel then into the little boathouse.

Old 10 January 2016, 17:33   #34

Hey ..I have passed that spot a few times Paul.. promise we wont wild camp near you.. and hope to meet you at the outing
Old 11 January 2016, 04:50   #35

Quote:
Hey ..I have passed that spot a few times Paul.. promise we wont wild camp near you.. and hope to meet you at the outing
Haha, you can camp near me I don't mind....we had a few camp in front of my house last year. If you guys have any problems or need anything you are welcome to use the boathouse and/or moorings and I can run you into town for petrol etc.

Next time you are boating past Donnie, please do stop and say hi. Happy to share a single malt or 3 with you.
Old 11 January 2016, 07:50   #36

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Quote:
:

Displacement speed is generally dependent of the length of the boat..
max disp speed (knots) = 1.4 X square root of the waterline length (in feet).
Old 11 January 2016, 09:08   #37

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
bit early for me to comitt but at what size party will be the the limit for future refrence i hear all the concerns voiced and agree, not done the area so have no real input but fancy having a look, been to portavardie on a site visit some time ago senery stunning on the way up sea like a mirror.
Old 11 January 2016, 10:52   #38
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
bit early for me to comitt but at what size party will be the the limit for future refrence i hear all the concerns voiced and agree, not done the area so have no real input but fancy having a look, been to portavardie on a site visit some time ago senery stunning on the way up sea like a mirror.
Jeff - don't worry commit when you can (I'll count that as a maybe at the moment). We had about half a dozens folk last year. If we double that we might want to talk about splitting our selves into a couple of "packs" but that will probably happen naturally anyway based on engine/boat size or preferred accommodation etc.

You might find portavadie has changed a bit since you were last there - last time I went it looked like a former Soviet Ghost town (there's some interesting modern history there which no doubt Gurnard will transform into an enthrawling installment in the trip report!). Either someone is very good with photoshop or the marina is a case study in wasteland transformation!
Old 11 January 2016, 11:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Jeff - don't worry commit when you can (I'll count that as a maybe at the moment). We had about half a dozens folk last year. If we double that we might want to talk about splitting our selves into a couple of "packs" but that will probably happen naturally anyway based on engine/boat size or preferred accommodation etc.

You might find portavadie has changed a bit since you were last there - last time I went it looked like a former Soviet Ghost town (there's some interesting modern history there which no doubt Gurnard will transform into an enthrawling installment in the trip report!). Either someone is very good with photoshop or the marina is a case study in wasteland transformation!
Marina is really nice now, here is a pic from the summer.

Old 11 January 2016, 12:22   #40

Hey.. I hope you can come Jeff ..would be great to meet you..and I will happily share a yarn or three about the place.

What I donít know.. I can assure you..I will soon make up.

There are some really interesting places to see along the route .. and a must see for me is the old Lighthouse on Little Cumbrae..it stands on top of the sea cliffs. Like Belnahua .. It is from a time gone by .. and sadly .. a forgotten relic falling into decay. I want to get some photo of it for my own records.

You can see more photos of it here on my brothers blog..where I borrowed the attached photo from.

Sea kayaking with seakayakphoto.com: The further decay of the Little Cumbrae lighthouse, nobody cares.

That is only one of many interesting sites to see..there are quite a few others..so if that kind of thing interests you..get your name down guys ..

SIBS and small boats first.. (we are the women and children after all) .. then the men and large boats ... once numbers are sorted.