Old 20 May 2003, 18:30   #41

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Mike - Excellent!!

yes - that sounds perfect!! - I spoke to Martin earlier and we plan to travel down together and launch from Mylor - www.boatlaunch.co.uk shows a nice slip with access at all states of the tide.

I think Martin and I will safely borrow some of your cans and take the fuel with us - sounds much easier (and cheaper) than getting it over there!!

Between us we are probably looking at about 200l !!!!! - so that will be most of your 25l cans!!!!

BTW - Martin and I are booked into Trelawney Guest House

Jools

(should probably start saving for a diesel rib now!!)
Old 20 May 2003, 19:03   #42

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Mike

Your offer is very generous and I would reciprocate with generous portions of the local sauce!

I reckon that Julian would want some of the cheaper diesel as well so we can spread it around and top up down there.

If the truth were known I should have enough to get there and back but always prefer to have too much fuel than not quite enough.

Must remember to give you a wide berth on the way down with all the Petrol and Diesel on board !

Regards and thanks

Mark.
Old 20 May 2003, 19:46   #43

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
OK guys. I will set aside enough containers for Jools and Martin to fill up with a total of 200 L of petrol. I'll RV with you both at Mylor on the morning of the 7th June and hand them over and you can do your petrol dash to fill before we set off for the convoy RV.

I will fill the rest with diesel when I fill up myself before the trip and Mark and Julian can fight over the spoils when we meet up. I will carry the two big 90 litre containers as I have straps to fit them to Mag A.

However I would like to hand over the rest of the smaller containers of diesel when we meet. Mag A is a heavy ol' b*****r at the best of times. Acting as convoy fuel bowser might spoil the fun. And I hate following in anybody's wake !

PS Please, fellas, bring lots of string to tie down these blighters. Know whadImean!
Old 21 May 2003, 08:35   #44
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Just a tiny additional to what Mike has said...........
if you look at the chart the most CONVENIENT place for you to top-up on the way back is Dartmouth. The marina there is 24/7 and you will tend to go close-by on your return (or way down!).
Old 21 May 2003, 13:51   #45

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
Sounds Good

Hi All,

Just spoken to lemmer who told me about this. So loged on and Sounds good.
I should be able to make it all being well with work, Mike maybe we can meet BR and leave Fal together.

The best resturaunt in Falmouth is the new Hunkey Dory, it is fantastic and i beleive as well as everyone I know that the fillet steak there is the best they have eaten.

Martin, Mylor is not all sates access, there is mud at the bottom of both slipways, You should possibly be ok on 1.5m low, but best call matt or dusty on 01326 372 121.

Looking forward to it,

Toby

New email: toby@cornwallferries.co.uk
Old 21 May 2003, 20:16   #46

Hi Toby. You've been playing a low profile. Guess the KHF Co is making you earn that daily crust. I'm a bit out of touch with what you're up to. Did you sell the Water Taxi in the end?
Old 21 May 2003, 21:02   #47

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Re: Sounds Good

Quote:
Originally posted by toby.budd
Hi All,

Martin, Mylor is not all sates access, there is mud at the bottom of both slipways, You should possibly be ok on 1.5m low, but best call matt or dusty on 01326 372 121.

Looking forward to it,

Toby

New email: toby@cornwallferries.co.uk
Toby

Thanks for the info on slipway at Mylor. I will certainly take your advice and call Matt or Dusty to seek advice from people with local knowledge.

I don't know what other slipways are available in that area. Looking at boatlaunch.co.uk there are others , such as Grove Place boatyard and Port Falmouth Boatyard.

I'll be launching 6m of Rib and am open to sugestions as to suitability and state of tide access, parking for car/trailer in the area.

Also welcome are suggestions for a B&B as I hope to come down to Falmouth area on the Friday ready for the Saturday run to the Scillies.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2003, 21:26   #48

Town: Newfoundland
Grove Place

Grove Place slipway in Falmouth looks like an excellent facility although I've never launched there personally. Wide slipway and looks to be all tide. Think Toby should be able to recommend accomodation otherwise ask Brian for the place we've stayed at before whose name escapes at the moment!
Old 22 May 2003, 13:45   #49

Mike,

Yes I sold the busisness end last year and now have 5 big ferries that we run out of falmouth and for the park and float. Very busy at the moment as you can imagine, possibly seen the articles in the packet and w britton.

Spoke to hugo last week and am still planning to do that article for RiB Int, about ribing in Cornwall but finding it hard to get the time to put it together.

Mstacy, Mylor is the best place to launch and you can leave your trailer up the valley which has cctv, only a small restriction on tide, but the best place to launch around.

Port Falmouth Slipway has gone, the grove place slip way is big and all tide states but gets very busy and also you have to drive through town and past Trogo Mills!!! to get there, possible but cxan be tricky so would recomend Mylor.

B&B in Penryn where I used to live, V Nice, an old packet ship captains house, AA 5* 01326 373 198

Otherwise see www.kingharryscornwall.co.uk a marketing company in the office above me, best of the bunch.

Any other Qs please post and will awnser if I can.

Looking forward to it.

Toby

Pic of new RIB
Old 22 May 2003, 13:49   #50

Sorry Pic
Old 22 May 2003, 13:49   #51

Cheers, Toby. Hope to see you around and about in due course.
Old 22 May 2003, 14:07   #52

Sorry Pic

Old 25 May 2003, 21:25   #53

Toby

Thanks for your local knowledge.

Launch at Mylor it shall be.

Martin
Old 27 May 2003, 11:00   #54

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Garside
Martin, I presume you are going to be coming down on the morning of the 6th?

It's neaps then and high water will be at 0900. I only mention this because I don't know what launching at Mylor will be like at neaps - will there be enough water? Probabaly worth calling Mylor Yacht Club (01326 374391) and finding out.

UM ! Mike I hope this is an error as I thought we were all leaving on Saturday the 7th returning back to Falmouth on Monday 9th ??

My little tide plotter says Falmouth on the Saturday will have High Tide around 11am with low water just after 5pm.

For Mondays return I have High at little after 1330 with low water a few minutes before 2000.

Martin
Old 03 June 2003, 22:58   #55

Martyn and I will be traveling down to Mylor on Friday 6th. Staying in local B&B's

Sat morning we will meet with Mike and take on extra fuel for our voyage! and meet everybody just off Lizard Point.

Good news!!!! - we have a support vessel in St Marys!!!!

The Pride of Bristol (An ex-navy fleet tender) that I am volenteer on as crew is spending a week in the Scillies the same week we will be there!

I think it is mainly a "crew" trip with a few extra divers, anyway it should be arriving on the Saturday and will probably tie up to the "Customs Bouy" in St Marys Bay.

Everybody is welcome to make use of the ships facilities and to say hi.

Obviously flushing heads may come in handy, but also a nice cup of tea (or something stronger!) - you are all most welcome!

Some of the ships crew have expressed an interest in joining me/us for our Sunday Island cruise. I will have a few spare seats and "BOB" is looking for crew. If anybody else has some spare seats I'm sure some people would be eager to fill them!

Looking forward to the weekend - hopefully the weather will be OK!

Jools
Old 04 June 2003, 07:17   #56

Fuel for Mark and Jools...

Mark- do you want me to bring 180 litres for you? Jools how many 25 litre container do you want me to bring to Mylor?
Old 04 June 2003, 11:32   #57

Town: Poole
Mike

I spoke to Scorpion and my tank is a little larger than I thought, which should give me enough for there, around the Scillies and back again. Saying that I might take on a few litres in St Marys to be sure on the Monday.

Also rather cause you more hassle with acting as a tanker for me and the petrol boats I'll decline and allow you a few extra knots of speed.

I reckon your weather forecast is comming true as well

Regards

Mark
Old 04 June 2003, 17:29   #58

Fuel in mylor 98p per litre.

Looking forward to it, hopefull if can get work wraped up.

Toby
Old 04 June 2003, 20:03   #59

Quote:
Originally posted by mstacey
UM ! Mike I hope this is an error as I thought we were all leaving on Saturday the 7th returning back to Falmouth on Monday 9th ??
Well, there y'go then! I missed this post, Martin and it wasn't until Andy Cox pointed out to me this very afternoon that I had clearly got the dates wrong that I was planning to launch tomorrow and RV at the Lizard on Friday. I would have had a very irritable wife if we were bobbin' around out there for 24 hours!

I am now geared for Saturday. No tanks for Mark. Just something for the weekend for Jools.....
Old 04 June 2003, 23:24   #60

Mike I'd like to borrow 100l worth - ie 4 cans, and I believe "Bob" would like to borrow the same.

Fuel in Mylor 98p!!!!! - I hope thats in the Marina!! - martin and I plan to find the nearest Tesco!! (or other simular cheep petrol station)

Cheers
Jools

On this fuel rip-off point Asda have just started selling LPG at 34.9p/l for my Landie which is saving me £4.50 a tank!! - As shell have been ripping me off for the last 2 years (39.9p/l) I now refuse to use them - although they have now dropped their price to match Asda (I get through 2-3 tanks a week)