Old 06 February 2019, 15:45   #21

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
There's a new bite by the slip way I have been and seen it and talked to the ferry folks they said it would be fine
Old 06 February 2019, 18:43   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
There's a new bite by the slip way I have been and seen it and talked to the ferry folks they said it would be fine
Ah OK, I knew there were plans for upgrading the ferry "terminal" I didn't realise that included the parking area.
Old 24 February 2019, 17:53   #23

Town: Wigan
Boat name: ?
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 2S18hp 2S15hp 2s9.8
Evening,,,,, any one planning to stop Friday night at either of the two camp sites near the launch point? Not much difference when it come to price for either.
Old 24 February 2019, 18:03   #24

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Ah OK, I knew there were plans for upgrading the ferry "terminal" I didn't realise that included the parking area.
For info

Had a look at the ferry slip last week parking was limited only 4 spaces when I was there. Ganavan costs are first 2 hours free with a ticket then £1 /hour no mention of a day rate.
Old 24 February 2019, 18:33   #25

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
When there’s some more definite plans I’d probably book to stay on one of the sites.

At the moment though parking seems to be the issue.....
Old 24 February 2019, 18:42   #26

Hi guys I am just getting all the details finalized the parking will be fine I have already been and seen parking area and talked to the ferry guys there is plenty of area to park I will be staying over night on Friday Iam making up second route just in case the weather is not suitable for going round mull it is very weather dependent
Old 24 February 2019, 21:25   #27

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Hi guys I am just getting all the details finalized the parking will be fine I have already been and seen parking area and talked to the ferry guys there is plenty of area to park I will be staying over night on Friday Iam making up second route just in case the weather is not suitable for going round mull it is very weather dependent
Best of luck it was February pi$$ing it down and nearly full summer months
Old 26 February 2019, 21:54   #28

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Engine: 15hp
New but would love to go if ok
Old 27 February 2019, 07:09   #29

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi HH although I normally go on the Ribnet outings I wont be going on this trip..simply because I think it too risky to be involved in taking a party of folk of varying experience in small inflatable’s on such an exposed and technically difficult route. Call be an old woman if you wish .. but I know the area well..and have based my decision on that.

I do sincerely wish you all a safe journey and I hope Im not putting anyone off going on this outing..however I feel it only fair to warn folk that don't know the area of the exposed nature of this journey and its risks.

As such ..I wish you all a very enjoyable and safe adventure this year
Old 01 March 2019, 19:30   #30

Hi guys the details will be up for the trip by Saturday night
Old 01 March 2019, 19:34   #31

Please note this trip is for intermediate to seasoned sibbers only and all boats going must be up to scratch any boat that fails to meet the requirements will be asked not to join the trip because of last year's instadent hope to hear from you all soon HH
Old 01 March 2019, 22:38   #32

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi HH although I normally go on the Ribnet outings I wont be going on this trip..simply because I think it too risky to be involved in taking a party of folk of varying experience in small inflatable’s on such an exposed and technically difficult route. Call be an old woman if you wish .. but I know the area well..and have based my decision on that.

I do sincerely wish you all a safe journey and I hope Im not putting anyone off going on this outing..however I feel it only fair to warn folk that don't know the area of the exposed nature of this journey and its risks.

As such ..I wish you all a very enjoyable and safe adventure this year
I had wondered where you were on this thread/trip Donny
I agree it's a fair undertaking (considering the location) in small SIBs the distances involved,exposed coastline along the route ...and time it will take... which compounds the chance of changeable weather.
I for one would certainly pay attention to the The Gurnard's advice in ALL regards pertaining longish passeeges in small Craft in his neck of the Woods.... seeing it's a way off yet..maybe a few shorter trips as a "build up" for the less experienced posse members might be a good idea.
Have great trip...and Stay Safe all

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2019, 07:17   #33

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I had wondered where you were on this thread/trip Donny
:
Hi Maximus ..in all honesty that is the very reason I posted my comment. It is not to p$$$ on anyone’s parade but so that people who follow my adventures knew I was not involved as several others had asked. I have been involved in the previous outings

You will recall three years ago Maximus that we set out in four ribs to go Round Mull ..winds were light..gusts to Force 3. Only the 7m RIB did the full round.. It is true the other RIBS would have easily managed round but some of the passangers started to feel the bounce so the other 3 RIBS turned back.

I hope those going appreciate the conditions most likely to be encountered off Caliach or Treshnish headlands.

Small inflatable’s and inexperienced crew would have been in trouble that day !!!

One detail that I think important for those going multi day trips is to understand ... very few of my multi day trips are done on the initial planned dates. Even going round Jura on the best week of last years windless weather saw me storm bound for an extra day. Skye was postponed several days. Mull cut short etc..etc So even the experts have to be totally flexible in their times.

As mentioned ..my post was not to put folks off ..it is designed to highlight it is a challenge and at a very minimum requires route plans .. escape routes (and there are very few) and have back up plans .. all of which have been lacking so far

Im certain HH will rectify that though..and as I first mentioned..I wish you all a very enjoyable and SAFE outing
Old 02 March 2019, 07:45   #34

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Engine: 20 twatsu
Hmmmm.. I think a couple of days fishing in Loch spelve may suit me better.... Good luck guys!
Old 02 March 2019, 12:32   #35

RIBase
I must agree with donny and max on this i too have missed will miss these trips because of the lack of planing and a full explanation of the full trip to all if a trip is to be thrown open to all it must cater for the most unexpearinced with limits to boat size and kit so participants can understand what is required from them to be safe and for others the sea is a beautiful place but when it turns angry and your not prepared its the worst place on earth OMO
Old 02 March 2019, 12:39   #36

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Engine: 15hp
Hi

Just a thought. Who ever organises and then if the put lists of kit needed levels of experience etc etc .. then if anything does go wrong.. Hope to hell not , then the person or people who have sorted it might be liable in some form... I would get a disclaimer out in some form . Just a thought
Old 02 March 2019, 14:54   #37

Hi guys trip plans
High tide is at 08:08 21st the distance is approximately 130 nm I plan to leave at 09:30 from kerrera going across to loch spelve then traveling down to Frank Lockwood's island / Malcolm's PT / ruby Ardalanish / round Eillean a' chalmain / through the sound of Iona across to Inch Kenneth for the first camp stite this is approximately 45nm the first day fuel can be obtained from Ardfenaig garage which is 3/4 mile walk from shore line but will only be possible if wether is fine due to sea state the next garage is Harbour garage at Tobermory which would be around 85 mm distance from start of trip day two we have two choices here go through Ulva or go round by Gometra that will be decided on the morning due to weather it could be a we bit bumpy ride through Treshnish PT due to the but should be fine the next two points are Caliach PT and Ardmore PT but should be fine then into Tobermory if fuel is required camp site two is just a wee hope over to loch Sunart
Day tree is down to saline then back down the sound of mull and that's where we hope you enjoyed the trip
I will give everyone a map of trip laminated on the day if weather is bad plans will be up sound of mull into loch Sunart for is night then back down sound of mull through to fort William to camp site day three loch Etive but this will be a group decision please remember that you are responsible for your own craft and route passages mine are a guide only any questions please feel free to email or contact me HH
Old 02 March 2019, 16:24   #38

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbria View Post
Hi

Just a thought. Who ever organises and then if the put lists of kit needed levels of experience etc etc .. then if anything does go wrong.. Hope to hell not , then the person or people who have sorted it might be liable in some form... I would get a disclaimer out in some form . Just a thought

Maybe best read this first and familiarise yourself with RIBNet forum.
RIBnet gatherings - essential reading for all participants
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2
Hope this helps.
Old 02 March 2019, 20:16   #39

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Cheers HH

Will have a look at your plans on a chart when I get the chance [emoji1303]
Old 02 March 2019, 23:20   #40
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwillie View Post
Maybe best read this first and familiarise yourself with RIBNet forum.
RIBnet gatherings - essential reading for all participants
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2
Hope this helps.

Anyone presuming that they can rely on others to get them round is mistaken. I recall my first ribnet gathering - JK had acquired a 7+m ribcraft for the weekend and we were aiming for the IoM - I was accompanying him as ballast! Conditions were not favourable and plans were promptly scaled back. Even on the scaled down route it quickly became clear that you could lose 7+m boats in the troughs between waves for prolonged periods and we were all essentially “on our own”. The trip was well planned and JK knew exactly what he was doing but it was a bit of an eye opener for me as had I had a suitable boat of my own I might have been tempted to just “tag along”.

Cruising together is a great way to make friends, and might provide more confidence to cover bigger distances than you normally would, but every skipper is always responsible for their own boat and crew and must be able to make the trip and have the knowledge and confidence to change their own plans regardless of the rest of the group. Anyone planning on taking (or joining) groups into wild places might find this article on the psychology that leads to things going wrong here:

https://oopskayak.org/resources/Docu...mmonHTraps.pdf

The good news is there are still plenty of months for all the skippers going on this trip to work out their passage plans and contingencies. As well as making all the necessary sacrifices to the weather gods needed to manage the window required on the right days.

Tags
sib