Old 01 June 2014, 13:42   #341

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
It's a good idea to buddy up with a similar sized boat, you can run at a similar speed and know you're at least powerful enough to tow to safety until a bigger boat/RNLI come. Plus likely just big enough to lift off crew if needed.

Have fun guys. Stay safe
Old 01 June 2014, 15:39   #342

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Last thing I towed with my rib was 75 ft long and weighed 150 tonnes. I'll take up any tow on the day and will keep an eye out. We should allocate a VHF channel just in case
Old 01 June 2014, 18:46   #343

Town: London
Boat name: Quench
Make: Fairline
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo
Hi all, I'm planning to come along to this with some buddies from work. I've got a Ribeye S650 with the yam F150, which likely puts me at the lower range of power from the bigger boats, and i'm a relatively inexperienced helm who hasn't been around the south part of the IOW before. Since my buddies with even less experience would like a go at helming (depending on how happy i am for them to do so with the conditions etc) I'm thinking of tagging along with the smaller vessels for a more relaxed ~20kn cruise
Old 01 June 2014, 19:16   #344

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'll be at the back with my mini ribcraft....I'll tow Biff if he needs it... ;-). I'm happy to be tail end Charlie and ensure things are sorted if needs be..as long as Biff makes me a tea ;-)

I won't ever be going fast in it.
Old 01 June 2014, 19:50   #345

Town: Bognor Regis
Boat name: Great Bear
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 150HP HPDI
MMSI: 235104612
RIBase
Hi sorabain I have a 6.5m rib with a Yam 150 and I'm cruising with the smaller ribs as well. My son is helming for twenty miles, so far he has raised £150 towards macmillain fund. Less speed more fun I say saying that after the trip we have a further 30mile trip back to Littlehampton, but that will be me behind the helm hopefully at 35-40 mph.

www.iesltd.net
poulner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2014, 12:20   #346

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Key thing for the smaller boats is to keep out of the washes / dirty water churned up by a large fleet and lots of bigger boats. Having got away at towards the rear of the fleet last year we had a pretty uncomfortable leg out to the Forts. We then positioned ourselves towards the front of the fleet out on a flank where we were less disturbed by the wakes of the bigger boats.

Staggering the start a bit as planned should help especially if there's an even bigger turnout than last year.

As long as the fleet(s) stop every so often to let everyone catch up there should be a problem with people being left behind - we'll all look out for each other.
Old 02 June 2014, 14:07   #347

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post

As long as the fleet(s) stop every so often to let everyone catch up there should be a problem with people being left behind - we'll all look out for each other.
This is all Team Scooby ask for...

We'll all have a plan, and will be familiar with our boats capabilities, but Its nice to have Big Brother watching over us.....just in case

A group photo of us all at certain points, is always a nice way to keep us together.?

Looking forward to this.

James
Old 02 June 2014, 14:14   #348
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Just a reminder that you can see the plan for the day and add your details here if you plan to come along.

http://bit.ly/IoW2014

Old 02 June 2014, 15:44   #349

Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb View Post
Just a reminder that you can see the plan for the day and add your details here if you plan to come along.

http://bit.ly/IoW2014

Updated with my details...... is anyone camping nearby on the Saturday night?
Old 02 June 2014, 18:01   #350

Length: 7m +
Sounds like a great event and a worthy cause, however im having trouble considering the worthy cause element and how I might raise money through such an event for the charity. When considering the costs in fuel if I dont manage to get enouth sponsorship it would be better for me not to do the event but give what I would have paid out in fuel straight to the charity.

Im not being critical as I know how much effort people have put in in the past and with the ribnet rib for charity so im really after some advice, what are people doing to raise sponsorship, what type of sponsorship, how much do you think each entry could raise, any smart ideas or things to share ? Haven't seen much discussion on this but you all must be considering how to go about the sponsorship/charity angle.

My heart says what a great event it might be and then my head says if I dont raise enouth I might end up spending more on the fuel than I can raise for the charity.

Also will there be any PR coverage as this may help if potential sponsorship might come from any companies.

Advice welcome.
Old 02 June 2014, 18:37   #351

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Sounds like a great event and a worthy cause, however im having trouble considering the worthy cause element and how I might raise money through such an event for the charity. When considering the costs in fuel if I dont manage to get enouth sponsorship it would be better for me not to do the event but give what I would have paid out in fuel straight to the charity.

Im not being critical as I know how much effort people have put in in the past and with the ribnet rib for charity so im really after some advice, what are people doing to raise sponsorship, what type of sponsorship, how much do you think each entry could raise, any smart ideas or things to share ? Haven't seen much discussion on this but you all must be considering how to go about the sponsorship/charity angle.

My heart says what a great event it might be and then my head says if I dont raise enouth I might end up spending more on the fuel than I can raise for the charity.

Also will there be any PR coverage as this may help if potential sponsorship might come from any companies.

Advice welcome.
I personally haven't given a seconds thought about fuel, I'd be out playing on the water anyway ( isn't that the point of owning a boat? ) and as a bonus if some money can be raised for a fantastic charity then that's the icing in the cake. Regards sponsorship, my crew and I will all be making a donation , win win
Old 02 June 2014, 18:56   #352

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
To be slightly blunt. If we all stopped using our boats because of cost what the point of having one. A day out with like minded people is priceless and the thought of using donations as fuel money. Well I can't even get my head round that.
We are out to show our support. If you haven't got anyone on board then just have a good day out. But if youre thinking about cost to you. That's something that only you can wrestle with
Old 02 June 2014, 19:08   #353

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Some thoughts like this had been voiced on the round Anglesey thread.

Even though I can't make the IoW event my thoughts are the same even if nothing was raised, the awareness, and getting the charity on people minds is the main thing.

The sight of all the different boats on a busy weekend will look amazing, and if the weather is nice the amount of people who will see this and the charity name will be worth it all.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2014, 20:07   #354

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
The whole idea of everything we have done is that we pay for 100% of the costs out of our own pocket and 100% of the money raised goes to macmillan, if you decided not to go and donate your fuel money then that is also a way of raising money.

Some are very proactive, Mr and Mrs Bingosucks have been awesome, even arranging a wear your own clothes to work for a day which raised £130 + giftaid.

I'm currently talking to a school in the hope that they will join us in donating their money to macmillan too.

I'm planning on having a bbq to raise money, at least that way the people donating get a burger or two

I think the trick is to be as creative as you want, all it takes is for one of you who works large company to pull some strings and then who knows what will happen?

I'm not going to promise anything but we are on track for Ribnet to be able to sponsor a Macmillan Nurse for a year! Now that is something that everyone should be proud of.

All I can say is go for it, you'll be amazed how many people will support you
Old 02 June 2014, 20:16   #355

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
How much is a Macmillan Angel for a year.

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 02 June 2014, 20:32   #356

That is a figure that can be crunched in so many different ways, at the moment including all the bells and whistles we're looking at £53k, however I'm looking to agree a figure that represents just the nurse who will look after 150 cancer patients in a year which also opens so many doors for other support which includes support for their families.

I have been able to tell macmillan what we want this money to be used for and I have been quite clear that all our money is for a nurse

If we fall sort, then we fall short, but like I always said, aim high and lets leave a legacy
Old 02 June 2014, 20:37   #357

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
It is a valid point, and one I've thought about. We could all work out what the trip would cost is in fuel, towing, poss accomodation etc. and donate that....but if we all did that there wouldn't be an event, I expect less people would participate, and there wouldn't be the publicity and enthusiasm and continuing drive to support this cause that Whisper set in motion last year.

To be honest by the time I've dragged the boat up from Devon, then down to the Solent, paid for o/n accommodation & meals for the family launching fee and fuel, we could just have given c. £300 to MacMillan, but it is a great experience, and we'll raise some money as well.

I'm sure if anyone wishes to donate the money they calculate they would have spent on taking part in the event in their own boat to Macmillan directly they'd get a place on someone else's RIB. I'd willingly takes such a passenger if my 4 seats weren't already occupied.

There's nothing wrong in fund-raising being fun.

I appreciate others may think differently that's fine. I'd like to think that if someone thinks just giving the money is a better way of raising money for this cause they do so, and be happy with their stance. It's not about feeling guilty in any way.

That's my take on it anyway, for what it's worth
Old 02 June 2014, 21:16   #358

All I will ever do is offer opportunities and then work as hard as I possibly can to make it happen, no one is under any pressure to raise money, but if you raise £1 then thats £1 that Macmillan didn't have before you got involved and in my book, that makes you the dude
Old 02 June 2014, 21:27   #359

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
I'm with a Whisper on this one, anything you wish to donate or raise in any way MacMillan will be ver grateful for, I don't see the point in not going on the cruise and donating the cost of your fuel etc, where's the fun or experience in that! having been so fortunate not to have needed any help of MacMillan over the last couple of years, thankfully, I'm more than happy to chuck a few quid into the pot even if I don't make the cruise, but either way it wouldn't stop me going, the only thing stoping me is if I'm fit enough for the journey there n back, the cruise is the easy bit in my book, just go n enjoy the day n chuck a few bob in the bucket, the Anglesey cruise was a grand day out
Old 03 June 2014, 10:32   #360

Is there a Macmillan charity flag we could purchase and have mounted on our boats ?