Old 08 May 2012, 15:58   #1

Town: Cullompton
Length: 7m +
Round Ireland (<5m) in 2013

[Split from the Powerboat & RIB Magazine Thread]

Thanks Mattfx. Come and say hi at the show if you are able. Noitice you are running a 4 metre craft. In the next edition of Powerboat & RIB Magazine I'm launching the proposal for a Round Ireland Challenge in 2013 - specifically for 4metre RIBs. I'm keen to get people's views on whether they would like take part. RB4 was such a sucess and so many folk have asked if we would run another event of this kind - I thought maybe the time is right and it could be the 'alternative' powerboat event to London to Monaco.... HMS.
Old 08 May 2012, 16:00   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I'd be up for that!
Old 08 May 2012, 16:32   #3

Good man!
Old 08 May 2012, 16:53   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Bookings being taken for kit and accomadation for this trip being taken now. I can sleep 20 people on board Accomplissh More. Alan P
Old 08 May 2012, 19:59   #5

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoMS
Thanks Mattfx. Come and say hi at the show if you are able. Noitice you are running a 4 metre craft. In the next edition of Powerboat & RIB Magazine I'm launching the proposal for a Round Ireland Challenge in 2013 - specifically for 4metre RIBs. I'm keen to get people's views on whether they would like take part. RB4 was such a sucess and so many folk have asked if we would run another event of this kind - I thought maybe the time is right and it could be the 'alternative' powerboat event to London to Monaco.... HMS.
Why only 4m ribs?

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2012, 20:03   #6

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Hi HMS

Its good to see (read) you posting, on a regular basis! on RIBnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoMS View Post
In the next edition of Powerboat & RIB Magazine I'm launching the proposal for a Round Ireland Challenge in 2013 - specifically for 4metre RIBs. I'm keen to get people's views on whether they would like take part. .
This is exciting news and Hannah would like to register an expression of interest in taking part in her SR4 and I would be there in my RIB as a support boat.
Old 08 May 2012, 21:03   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Why only 4m ribs?
RI/Hugo has run some events in the past for "4m" ribs. I don't think they have absolutely enforced a 4m rule, but its run for the benefit of small ribs (say 4.something m long). Many of those ribs are incredibly capable but don't cruise at the same speed as bigger boats, and may have an earlier "chicken out" threshold in terms of weather etc - so it makes sense to focus on a "size". Inevitably there are fewer people on board to share the nav and helming and bumpier rides which means the skippers need to think more about fatigue. The challenge of doing it in a small boat is completely different to the same journey in a "grown up" rib.

A 6m Osprey should be big enough that with good planning and training you could comfortably organise your own "around Ireland" trip or your own or with another boat. For very small ribs that possibility also exists, but most small rib owners would feel more comfort in a bigger group. Logistic support for refuelling is also completely different for a small engine and large one.
Old 08 May 2012, 21:16   #8

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart

RI/Hugo has run some events in the past for "4m" ribs. I don't think they have absolutely enforced a 4m rule, but its run for the benefit of small ribs (say 4.something m long). Many of those ribs are incredibly capable but don't cruise at the same speed as bigger boats, and may have an earlier "chicken out" threshold in terms of weather etc - so it makes sense to focus on a "size". Inevitably there are fewer people on board to share the nav and helming and bumpier rides which means the skippers need to think more about fatigue. The challenge of doing it in a small boat is completely different to the same journey in a "grown up" rib.

A 6m Osprey should be big enough that with good planning and training you could comfortably organise your own "around Ireland" trip or your own or with another boat. For very small ribs that possibility also exists, but most small rib owners would feel more comfort in a bigger group. Logistic support for refuelling is also completely different for a small engine and large one.
Sounds great, might hack a bit off!

Thanks.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2012, 09:53   #9

If I may ask anyone that is interested in taking part in the proposed Round Ireland Challenge to email me at hms@powerboatandrib.com I can then create a file of potential applicants. After the show this weekend I'll begin to work this concept up further and isolate some potential dates in the process. My feeling is that craft up to 4.8m should qualify as in RB4 because there a number of manufacturers who make this particular length of craft and hence we need to make the craft/type accesable to most parties wishing to take part. Owners of large vessels are welcome too on the basis they help provide safety support/back-up. HMS
Old 20 June 2012, 10:14   #10

REF: Round Ireland RIB Challenge 2013, timing wise I am thinking of the last week of July. How does this sound to everyone? (Allocating one week and the weekends either side in total). Though the challenge itself is limited to RIBs under 5m in length, larger craft can enter if they agree to act as support craft. All those challenge teams that complete the course will be given honouary membership of 'RIBs to the Limit'. The course may well include a couple of time trials for added zest. There will be a moderate entry fee to be charged to all participants. Likely, the UK flotilla will depart as one group from Milford Haven to cruise out to Kilmore Quay to meet the Irish contingent and then start the circumnavigation the following day. The Challenge will route anti-clockwise ensuring the most challenging and most beautiful part of the course is kept till last. Once the next edition of Powerboat & RIB is wrapped up, I will begin putting the pack together for the 20-30 teams that have regsitered interest so far. I anticipate taking up Jan Falkowski's kind offer - inviting all registered parties to a press launch at the Army & Navy Club, Pall Mall, London sometime lateautumn/early winter. Best wishes one and all. HMS
Old 20 June 2012, 12:59   #11

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Northern Ireland has the honour of hosting the Biannual World Police and Fire games next year from the 1st - 10th August. This event will have an estimated 10,000 competitors competing in 65 events

Myself and Hannah will be involved in the team providing rescue support for the sailing programme during this event so due to the proximity of the dates we will unfortunately not be available for the Round Ireland gig.

In relation to your programme - I had thought about recommending that you use Bangor or Carrickfergus as a starting venue - reasons:
Only 20 miles from Portpatrick for those coming by water
Direct Car ferry for those coming by trailer
A good mustering point for the Irish RIB contingent
Ready access to fuel, parking, accommodation, craic etc

However due the potential clash of dates this may not be wise as Belfast Lough will be the hub of the games.
Old 20 June 2012, 13:39   #12

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoMS View Post
REF: Round Ireland RIB Challenge 2013, timing wise I am thinking of the last week of July. How does this sound to everyone? (Allocating one week and the weekends either side in total). Though the challenge itself is limited to RIBs under 5m in length, larger craft can enter if they agree to act as support craft. All those challenge teams that complete the course will be given honouary membership of 'RIBs to the Limit'. The course may well include a couple of time trials for added zest. There will be a moderate entry fee to be charged to all participants. Likely, the UK flotilla will depart as one group from Milford Haven to cruise out to Kilmore Quay to meet the Irish contingent and then start the circumnavigation the following day. The Challenge will route anti-clockwise ensuring the most challenging and most beautiful part of the course is kept till last. Once the next edition of Powerboat & RIB is wrapped up, I will begin putting the pack together for the 20-30 teams that have regsitered interest so far. I anticipate taking up Jan Falkowski's kind offer - inviting all registered parties to a press launch at the Army & Navy Club, Pall Mall, London sometime lateautumn/early winter. Best wishes one and all. HMS
all being well, I'll be up for that, as a support craft
Old 20 June 2012, 13:57   #13

many thanks... the reason for Milford Haven to Kilmore Quay is its a tried and trusted route for a circumnavgation and has been succesfully used by us before. Unlikely we will be calling into Belfast anyway to be honest but thanks for the heads up and hope all your plans go well ref the Games.
Old 22 June 2012, 11:31   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Hi Hugo - As discussed at the Sportsboat and Rib show - we're hopefully up for this.
Look forward to getting the info "pack" when you firm things up a bit.

Trevor
Old 22 June 2012, 12:43   #15

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Hmm, sounds v interesting. I also may be up for it as support craft.
Old 22 June 2012, 13:10   #16

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Hmm, sounds v interesting. I also may be up for it as support craft.
Count me in to
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 18:22   #17

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Will there be more support boats than entrants?
Old 22 June 2012, 19:15   #18

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Put my name down for more info but I would have to upgrade my console and Mr G is giving me shock mitigation seat envy
Old 12 October 2012, 03:25   #19

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
I could be up for that too ! still looking for a sponsorship
please start from a marina located in the south east, I will have to take a ferry from France after driving 650 km from Brussels...
cheers, hope to see you there !
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote