Old 28 July 2006, 17:48   #31

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
We watched for them from Start Point this afternoon but didn't see them.... certainly sympathised as there was a westerly breeze and short chop running.

Kathryn - check your PMs as I can shoot over to Salcombe tomorrow morning to get send-off photos.

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2006, 06:42   #32

Town: Towcester
Boat name: None
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
Round England & Wales - Day 7

Thanks for your note Richard B - sorry u missed them. As you have already guessed, they were up and gone early from Salcombe as they were aiming from Falmouth.

However I received a call at 9.50am to say they had just moored up at Mayflower Marina - Plymouth. With Stong South Westerlys and big seas, progress was tough.
Therefore thay have decided to wait out the morning, in the hope things ease off later in the day.

I think they have gone to the Cinema - Stormbreaker!!!!!!!!

If things don't improve they will stop in Plymouth for the night, but i will post more when a decision is made.

Ah yes I forgot to mention yesterday - they had chart plotter failure most of the day, so they had to get the charts out! This morning it seemed to work partially - would give direction but would not display the map fully! Paul's not sure as to why - I'm sure if he has the time today he will look into it further.

H & D

Old 29 July 2006, 12:34   #33

Round England & Wales- Day 7 Update

It has ended up as a day in Plymouth for the crew and chance to recharge the batteries. Forcast is, the weather should be better for tomorrow.

The planned schedule will be to call into Falmouth to refuel and then continue onto Penzance. Can anyone tell us what time high water will be for Penzance tomorrow? (All Pauls paperwork is on the boat and they staying too far from the marina to check) so your help would be appreciated.

Apologies Richard B, I am still a novice at this forum lark, and so wasn't aware of PM's!!!! I am now though.

H & D
Old 29 July 2006, 12:38   #34

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by High & Dry
Can anyone tell us what time high water will be for Penzance tomorrow?

H & D
http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide...ictionLength=2

Need to add 1 hour for BST
Old 29 July 2006, 12:42   #35

What time are they leaving Plymouth in the morning?

Might see them as they pass St Austell Bay
Old 29 July 2006, 15:17   #36

High water at Penzance

Add an hour to what!

H & D
Old 29 July 2006, 15:23   #37

Penzance- Sun 30 July
High water...08.33
Low water...15.05
High water...20.48
Old 29 July 2006, 16:16   #38

Thanks alot , I will let Paul know.

I'm not sure exact time they are heading out in the morning, he's not said. All weather & Tide dependant possibly??? (I'm even beginning to sound like you lot!)

H & D
Old 30 July 2006, 13:49   #39

Round England & Wales - Day 8

Well, weather and sea conditions had improved enough for Paul & Bryn, to head out on the next sector. It was not a comfortable ride, but got into Falmouth at 11am, to refuel (both boat & crew - the latter stocking up on baguettes & cakes from a local bakery, plus an ice cream treat and polo's for the journey.

The forecast was for the wind to increase over the afternoon, so Marikh and crew headed back out as soon as possible. The wind was roughly a Force 6, with heavy rain showers and steep seas around the Lizard - one certain little crew member found today a bit tough and probably is still having a bit of a sulk as we speak .

They got into Penzance around 2.30pm and moored up on the quay. Whilst waiting for high tide, in order to get into the lock, both crew headed to the B&B to freshen up and relax. Then at 7.30pmish will move the boat into the lock before going for something to eat.

The chart plotter is virtually working now, but the 'little thingy' at the back at the boat that measures distance has gone on the blink - so you will have to work this one out for yourselves folks!!!!

Weather is looking a bit iffy for tomorrow - so may have to wait for a better weather window before attempting Lands End.

Apparently the difficulty is because both Penzance and Padstow (the next suitable stop) are locked, they have a tight schedule to ensure they get in in time. Once they have left Penzance they only have approx a hour to decide, if its too bad, to turn around and go back (before being locked out) or to press on. However, if they press on but it takes alot longer than expected, because of the rough weather, they risk not getting into Padstow! Thats what I have been told anyway.

So, I believe Paul is prepared to wait if necessary. Does anyone know what you can do with a 11yr old all day in Penzance (bearing in mind they are running out of films to watch at the cinema?

Well, I'd better get back to painting the kitchen.

H & D Signing off!
Old 31 July 2006, 04:47   #40

Round England & Wales - Day 9

This morning they decided to give it a go and see what the conditions were like. The seas were huge and was soon evident that it was not sensible to proceed any further, and so headed back to Penzance - arrived back 9am.

They have managed to book themselves back in the same B&B. Time to go to the laundrette boys!!!! They may decide to catch up on some rest, although later they may go to on the bus to St Ives - an experience in itself no doubt.

Paul will be keeping an eye on the weather reports today, although it' doesn't seem good for tomorrow at present, but Wednesday looks better.

H & D