Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 February 2016, 16:44   #1
Member
 
whisper's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Make: Custom RIB
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,002
RIOW 4 Macmillan 2016

This year's Round Isle of Wight for Macmillan Cancer Support will be on 17th July 2016 weather permitting…

It’s going to be slightly different this year to make it a more of a sociable challenge, so instead of meeting at Wootton Creek we will only have one rendezvous which will be Whitecliff Bay, this is where we stopped last year and had a few photos taken by a drone.

Rendezvous – Whitecliff Bay IOW at 12:00 noon, if the weather and conditions are great we’ll stay for a while to have a floating picnic and we’ll leave at 13:00 sharp. So if the weather isn’t great or if bobbing about isn’t your thing then aim to arrive just before the departure time at 13:00.

High tide is at 10:50 so by the time we leave the RV at Whitecliff Bay the tide will be running with us so watch out for a high westerly wind forecast!

Just like the last four years we will be going clockwise, so this is how it will work this year…

You are encouraged to meet with people throughout the boating season and form a buddy system to form small groups, say from two to ten boats. This is what we have found to be the most effective and sociable cruising team. By all means name your team and let every one know what you are doing.

This cruise is talked about across all social media, so please don’t feel that this challenge belongs to one group as it belongs to you all.

If you would love to do this challenge but do not have a suitable boat or experience then please ask online to see if you can join a team and be a passenger on another boat.

As every year, I’ve launched a new Justgiving page and it will be down to each skipper to do their own fundraising, but there is no pressure on you to give or raise any money if you don’t want to.

The most effective ways to raise money for Macmillan is the old fashioned ‘Sponsor Form’ – an ideal way to ask your family, friends and work colleagues for a donation. Please don’t be afraid to ask businesses to sponsor you too.

A copy of this year’s sponsor form is available here:

http://be.macmillan.org.uk/be/Pdf.as...2-37a3793ddc41

So far we have raised over £58,500 to help fund a Macmillan Nurse for a year which has helped over 400 cancer patients and we have also won eight awards, including the Douglas Macmillan Award and a Pride of Britain Award, we were also in the top 1% of Justgiving accounts for 2014 and the top 3% in 2015.

Our new Justgiving page for this year is:

www.justgiving.com/RIOW2016

I have also attached a social media banner for your use.

We will communicate on VHF Channel 08

Good luck to you all and I hope to see you for a pasty, sandwich, sausage roll or a can of coke at Whitecliff Bay on the 17th July 2016

Best regards,

Alex 07778555884
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SocialMediaCoverImage_851x315_RIOW58_1454708392915.png
Views:	142
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	110657  
__________________

__________________
My RIB Website: http://www.customrib.co.uk
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2016, 17:14   #2
Member
 
Noble95's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton/Poole
Boat name: Black Racketeer
Make: White Shark & Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Verado 150
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 180
Are hard boats welcome? (Have a rib too but it's abit small)
__________________

__________________
Noble95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2016, 17:17   #3
Member
 
Custom RIB's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wootton Bassett
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 66
RIOW 4 Macmillan 2016

All boats are welcome but you have to treat this like you are going around on your own and use your back up team as support.
__________________
For New and Used RIBs, Consoles, Engines and Trailers www.customrib.co.uk
Custom RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2016, 17:20   #4
Member
 
Noble95's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton/Poole
Boat name: Black Racketeer
Make: White Shark & Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Verado 150
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 180
Ha ha ha, I will do my best to join, heading from Poole (RMYC) keen to raise some money for a an amazing cause
__________________
Noble95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2016, 03:46   #5
Member
 
Fender's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom RIB View Post
All boats are welcome but you have to treat this like you are going around on your own and use your back up team as support.
Sorry, don't quite understand, isn't the premise behind the day a large group of boats circumnavigation the island ( be it in smaller sub-groups ), and what do you define as a back-up team if 'support' is needed - not something spending time in the Solent I'm familiar with, I'm probably being thick but the above post seems contradictory and a little unclear. Please take the above observation as constructive and without doubt it's a brilliant day for a superb cause ��
__________________
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2016, 04:19   #6
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
This year's Round Isle of Wight for Macmillan Cancer Support will be on 17th July 2016 weather permitting…

It’s going to be slightly different this year to make it a more of a sociable challenge, so instead of meeting at Wootton Creek we will only have one rendezvous which will be Whitecliff Bay, this is where we stopped last year and had a few photos taken by a drone.

Rendezvous – Whitecliff Bay IOW at 12:00 noon, if the weather and conditions are great we’ll stay for a while to have a floating picnic and we’ll leave at 13:00 sharp. So if the weather isn’t great or if bobbing about isn’t your thing then aim to arrive just before the departure time at 13:00.

High tide is at 10:50 so by the time we leave the RV at Whitecliff Bay the tide will be running with us so watch out for a high westerly wind forecast!

Just like the last four years we will be going clockwise, so this is how it will work this year…

You are encouraged to meet with people throughout the boating season and form a buddy system to form small groups, say from two to ten boats. This is what we have found to be the most effective and sociable cruising team. By all means name your team and let every one know what you are doing.

This cruise is talked about across all social media, so please don’t feel that this challenge belongs to one group as it belongs to you all.

If you would love to do this challenge but do not have a suitable boat or experience then please ask online to see if you can join a team and be a passenger on another boat.

As every year, I’ve launched a new Justgiving page and it will be down to each skipper to do their own fundraising, but there is no pressure on you to give or raise any money if you don’t want to.

The most effective ways to raise money for Macmillan is the old fashioned ‘Sponsor Form’ – an ideal way to ask your family, friends and work colleagues for a donation. Please don’t be afraid to ask businesses to sponsor you too.

A copy of this year’s sponsor form is available here:

http://be.macmillan.org.uk/be/Pdf.as...2-37a3793ddc41

So far we have raised over £58,500 to help fund a Macmillan Nurse for a year which has helped over 400 cancer patients and we have also won eight awards, including the Douglas Macmillan Award and a Pride of Britain Award, we were also in the top 1% of Justgiving accounts for 2014 and the top 3% in 2015.

Our new Justgiving page for this year is:

www.justgiving.com/RIOW2016

I have also attached a social media banner for your use.

We will communicate on VHF Channel 08

Good luck to you all and I hope to see you for a pasty, sandwich, sausage roll or a can of coke at Whitecliff Bay on the 17th July 2016

Best regards,

Alex 07778555884

Count me in.
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2016, 06:59   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Sorry, don't quite understand, isn't the premise behind the day a large group of boats circumnavigation the island ( be it in smaller sub-groups ), and what do you define as a back-up team if 'support' is needed - not something spending time in the Solent I'm familiar with, I'm probably being thick but the above post seems contradictory and a little unclear. Please take the above observation as constructive and without doubt it's a brilliant day for a superb cause ��
Fender

I think there are a couple of points that may not have come across quite right. There is a sticky in the Cruises section that sets some Rib.net ground rules for cruises. The underlying principle being that they are not an official organised event. Official Organised Events carry all sorts of liabilities etc. Its a cruise in company. But that means you should be self sufficient (or if you aren't that you at least have your own arrangements in place).

So I think your support team may be the group of 2-10 boats who you will budy up with. You may need to agree with them what support you need and what support you can provide others. For instance - on the Scottish SIB gathering thread I think someone asked if they needed an Aux. Someone else piped up to say they will be carrying their Aux and so if the first guy needed an Aux they can borrow the second guys provided he doesn't also need it. It could be agreeing bail out plans - i.e. if its too windy we will drip Boat A and B here and all get on bigger Boat C. But its easier to agree that among a group of 2-10 boats than over 100 which is the numbers Whisper is now trying to herd round...?

So I guess Whisper has two aims of trying to specify this:
1. He doesn't feel obliged to try and pair up similar boats so takes less responsibility, which bearing in mind its not an organised event per say is probably the right approach
2. If you don't have any Ribbing Mates you are encouraged to make some -pre-event.
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2016, 07:18   #8
Member
 
bingosucks's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 537
Bingosucks, cancer more so
I like the new direction whisper!
Shiny shoe about sums up my thoughts

It's hard work trying to keep an eye on several boats at the same time, I'd reccomend boats teaming up but bare in mind boats go at different speeds with differing capabilities,

It's also incredibly hard to tow people!

I'm thinking I'll probably be there not sure if I'll be in gnasher or another boat
__________________
bingosucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2016, 13:51   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
Bingosucks, cancer more so
I like the new direction whisper!
Shiny shoe about sums up my thoughts

It's hard work trying to keep an eye on several boats at the same time, I'd reccomend boats teaming up but bare in mind boats go at different speeds with differing capabilities,

It's also incredibly hard to tow people!

I'm thinking I'll probably be there not sure if I'll be in gnasher or another boat
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2016, 13:52   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,415
I'll be there, hoping I do not blow up an engine this year as well
__________________

__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.