Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 November 2004, 16:53   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 143
Ribcraft or Gemini?

Hi
This is my first thread, so here go's it!
I Want to buy a rib for leisure and some "safe" cruising
On the shortlist is the Ribcraft 5.3 and Gemini 5.50 (both can accommodate double console and 2x2 jockeys) would love a 5.85 but I'm on a budget!)
Any experience out there of either boat? Anything else for the shortlist?
Cheers
__________________

__________________
The Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2004, 17:35   #2
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Hi Aedge
Couple of well regarded RIBs there. Subtly different - Ribcraft can probably customise ad infinitum if you are buying new, Gemini may be a bit more limited for console/seat choices (and you need to be happy with a rather lorry-like steering wheel position on their double console). The Gemini has, I think, a fully moulded deck and a largely wood-free construction. The slightly longer boat may offer a little more comfort.
P'raps also consider Humber Ocean Pro, but take your time choosing and do a sea trial - it's amazing how different RIBs can be.
Are you looking at new or used RIBs?

(You should also look at Tornado http://www.ribs.co.uk / XS-RIB http://www.aboard.co.uk/remoteurl?ht....xs-ribs.co.uk loads of satisfied customers)
__________________

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2004, 19:18   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 859
How about the Solent 5.5M? Great fun, and well finished. Talk to Kevin at Solent. My new 6.5 is stunning - but I would say that
__________________
brucehawsker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2004, 02:25   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,451
Can certainly recommend Gemini for both leisure and safety. Our littler model can take a hammering and come up smiling

Why don't you ask the Gemini lads for a sea trial?

missus
__________________
Happy New Resolutions!!! : RIBbing for the craic!!!
The Jackeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2004, 02:42   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
How about the Solent 5.5M? Great fun, and well finished. Talk to Kevin at Solent. My new 6.5 is stunning - but I would say that
The solent 5.4 looks nice but ive never been on it and i dont think they offer a double console with it.
__________________
simmons0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2004, 04:26   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Can certainly recommend Gemini for both leisure and safety. Our littler model can take a hammering and come up smiling

Why don't you ask the Gemini lads for a sea trial?

missus
Thanks for the feedback
Went out for a blast with them last month v impressive (Particularly with 115 strapped on the back!!!)
Its decision time. I'll let you know
Thanks again
__________________
The Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2004, 04:44   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Hi Aedge
Couple of well regarded RIBs there. Subtly different - Ribcraft can probably customise ad infinitum if you are buying new, Gemini may be a bit more limited for console/seat choices (and you need to be happy with a rather lorry-like steering wheel position on their double console). The Gemini has, I think, a fully moulded deck and a largely wood-free construction. The slightly longer boat may offer a little more comfort.
P'raps also consider Humber Ocean Pro, but take your time choosing and do a sea trial - it's amazing how different RIBs can be.
Are you looking at new or used RIBs?

(You should also look at Tornado http://www.ribs.co.uk / XS-RIB http://www.aboard.co.uk/remoteurl?ht....xs-ribs.co.uk loads of satisfied customers)
Thanks for the feedback
Tested the 5.3 a couple of weeks ago in portland bay in a force 8 blow. Unbelievable!! and felt totally safe.
The Gemini was trialed in Southampton water and was similarly impressive better at tight turns and a little more space.
Its a close one!
I favour hypolon, so I'll take a look at the Humber offer
Thanks again

Edgey
__________________
The Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2004, 06:16   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
I think your choice of the two boats is quite good. The gemini is a fine boat and so is the Ribcraft. you can have a lot of console seat variations with the Gemini's and they are very solidly built. If you do choose one don't go for the light grey colour tubes.....theyar every difficult to keep clean.

The Jackeen have a 5.3 Gemini and they have clocked hundreds of hours on it and it still looks great and goes well. Also Ignore Avon sea riders at your Peril.

By the way Jools is selling his Ribcraft 5.85 which is a a very low hours and well specced boat
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2004, 17:41   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Pendragon
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 85
I know you said the Ribcraft 5.3, I would go for the 5.85 if your budget allows. This was my first boat at it was fantastic in heavy seas. As it is custom built, console applications are up to you. Some good second hand ones currently available.
__________________
peter 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2004, 06:34   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
. If you do choose one don't go for the light grey colour tubes.....theyar every difficult to keep clean.

The Jackeen have a 5.3 Gemini and they have clocked hundreds of hours on it and it still looks great and goes well.
The grey has suited us rather well really. It ages well.
Oh and it's 5.05 R. W. ! But ta for the extra length It goes very well indeed !
(But perhaps this thread should be elsewhere?)

Us
__________________

__________________
Happy New Resolutions!!! : RIBbing for the craic!!!
The Jackeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.