Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
We could go there on the way back. Changing the subject, has anyone given anymore thought to how they're going to store stuff onboard? I'm leaning towards a lockable plastic storage box like this one: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-8607.aspx

It's not 100% secure of course, but anyone who's determined to thieve from the boats will just take the whole box regardless of what type it is. Any thoughts anyone?
Cheep and cheerful but should at least last the trip. Similar size to what I'm looking at but me being me, I'll probably go for something a bit tougher and maybe get a cushion made to fit the top which would velcro on for a bit of extra seating.
Quote:
By the way, has anyone read on the "Going inSeine" article that quayside petrol is only available at Le Havre and Port d'Ilon? Everywhere else is by portage.
Although the article is fairly recent, with the amount of research we've done between us I'm confident there's more than that, I think they just didn't do their homework. Speaking only for myself, fuel at Le Havre, Rouen and Port D'ilon is enough for me to get by. The pump at Port St. Louis will be a handy one, I think we've got good proof it exists.
Old 12 February 2011, 10:54   #262

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I'll probably go for something a bit tougher...
Pelicase then? We do a good deal on the Pelis.

Quote:
... and maybe get a cushion made to fit the top which would velcro on for a bit of extra seating.
Oooh, does that mean the Witch can go too?
Old 12 February 2011, 11:01   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Oooh, does that mean the Witch can go too?
I had the seat in mind more for 10kts in fresh water than 30 in the big stuff but of course she can!

No room onboard for broomsticks though
Old 12 February 2011, 12:26   #264
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Pelis are great, I have three. A Note of Caution however, the plastic will quickly wear down if subjected to vibration on a rough surface, e.g. a painted non-slip deck. I know this
Old 12 February 2011, 12:30   #265
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Surprised at ya!

From wiki: "
During World War II, American submarine crews would hoist a broom onto their boat's fore-truck when returning to port to indicate that they had "swept" the seas clean of enemy shipping. The tradition has been devalued in recent years by submarine crews who fly a broom simply when returning from their boat's shake-down cruise. This tradition no doubt stems from the action of the Dutch admiral Maarten Tromp, who in 1652 tied a broom to his main mast after defeating the British admiral Robert Blake, and claim that he would sweep the British from the seas. "
Old 12 February 2011, 16:04   #266

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Speaking only for myself, fuel at Le Havre, Rouen and Port D'ilon is enough for me to get by. The pump at Port St. Louis will be a handy one, I think we've got good proof it exists.
Are we certain there's quayside fuel at Rouen? If not, we'll waste most of the next morning carting '95 from the nearest garage. The good news is that B&Q now sell cheap collapsable trollies.
Old 12 February 2011, 16:28   #267
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Not sure how big peli's go but these are worth a look as an alternative (http://www.dewarbrothers.com/lmenu/s...duct_range.asp) We use them from time to time for work. I think they are a bit cheaper than Pelis (but still enough to make you think carefully!). Martini will be pleased to hear that they are available in a range of military grey and green colours!
Old 12 February 2011, 18:31   #268

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Surprised at ya!
I think you underestimate the Martini. No space for unsophisticated brooms.... nothing less than a Bissell would do on his boat!
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2011, 18:36   #269

Quote:
Are we certain there's quayside fuel at Rouen? If not, we'll waste most of the next morning carting '95 from the nearest garage. The good news is that B&Q now sell cheap collapsable trollies.
Iron Stores Marine have got some fairly reasonable priced plastic fuel tanks. Think they were about 50l for £75. Fairly easy to strap down on deck and also trolleyable to the pompe. Matt had a good idea of using one of the spare inlet ports on the filter/water separator to take a fuel line from a portable tank to save having to decant into the built in tank. Would involve a bit of plumbing and some valves, but not a bad idea to get an extra 80k's 'mileage'.
Old 12 February 2011, 21:45   #270

Quote:
Are we certain there's quayside fuel at Rouen? If not, we'll waste most of the next morning carting '95 from the nearest garage.
There's a 'fuel' barge at PK 239 mentioned in a few places inc the french-waterways.com website, although no mention of what fuel exactly.

Also the Fluviacarte (2010) shows quayside fuel at Villetard (PK 242) "Go Super" I take to mean super unleaded.
Old 12 February 2011, 21:51   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Not sure how big peli's go but these are worth a look as an alternative (http://www.dewarbrothers.com/lmenu/s...duct_range.asp) We use them from time to time for work. I think they are a bit cheaper than Pelis (but still enough to make you think carefully!). Martini will be pleased to hear that they are available in a range of military grey and green colours!
I like the look of those, there's quite a few "peli-esque" cases around these days but I'll have to put my hands up to being a sucker for brand names
I look forward to an unbeatable price from the malteaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Pelis are great, I have three. A Note of Caution however, the plastic will quickly wear down if subjected to vibration on a rough surface, e.g. a painted non-slip deck. I know this
Ta for the heads up!
Old 13 February 2011, 16:44   #272

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Circumstances are still such that I am unable to commit yet ..... but I successfully obtained my CEVNI certificate this afternoon and will be applying on Monday to the RYA for the endorsement to my existing ICC.

Quote:
There's a 'fuel' barge at PK 239 mentioned in a few places inc the french-waterways.com website, although no mention of what fuel exactly.

Also the Fluviacarte (2010) shows quayside fuel at Villetard (PK 242) "Go Super" I take to mean super unleaded.
My 2011 Reeds Almanac indicates that only diesel is available from the fuel barge at PK239 with petrol being available at Rouen only by cans.

The Almanac also mentions that even a 5kn boat leaving Honfleur at LW+1 should carry the flood all the way to Rouen. A faster boat could presumably leave later. On 23 April, LW at Le Havre is at 0952 French time with LW Honfleur being +30. The bridge to leave Honfleur's Vieux Bassin opens at half past the hour and the lock does likewise (presumably with a view to being able to get through both on the same opening rather than having to wait an hour before passing through the lock). The 10.30 opening should therefore catch the flood and allow a gentle passage to Rouen with even a break for lunch!
Old 13 February 2011, 17:09   #273

Length: no boat
Quote:
I had the seat in mind more for 10kts in fresh water than 30 in the big stuff but of course she can!

Thank you. You'll be please to know i travel with little baggage, broom or not, i'm a demon at compact packing.

All i have to do now is find someone to look after the dog, the chickens and water the plants.
Old 13 February 2011, 17:44   #274

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Circumstances are still such that I am unable to commit yet ..... but I successfully obtained my CEVNI certificate this afternoon and will be applying on Monday to the RYA for the endorsement to my existing ICC.

My 2011 Reeds Almanac indicates that only diesel is available from the fuel barge at PK239 with petrol being available at Rouen only by cans.
If the nearest petrol station is a mile away from the boat and you have two jerry cans on a trolley you'll need to make five trips there and back to fill the tank. That's 10 miles of walking. Looking at Google Earth, I make Port d'Ilon 150nm from Le Havre. I should be able to get there if I have some reserve fuel on board.

By the way Avocet, congratulations on the CEVNI.
Old 13 February 2011, 18:30   #275

Quote:
Congratulations We're all fingers crossed you can join us, but at least you'll have all the necessary ready for the future.
Quote:
I wouldn't be suprised about the fuel barge but talking about it today with Erin, we're quite hopeful about Villetard. We found a website for the company that runs it so (hopefully!) Erin's going to fire off an email to them for more detail. They should tell us if petrol's available anywhere nearby even if they don't do it.
Quote:
The Almanac also mentions that even a 5kn boat leaving Honfleur at LW+1 should carry the flood all the way to Rouen. A faster boat could presumably leave later. On 23 April, LW at Le Havre is at 0952 French time with LW Honfleur being +30. The bridge to leave Honfleur's Vieux Bassin opens at half past the hour and the lock does likewise (presumably with a view to being able to get through both on the same opening rather than having to wait an hour before passing through the lock). The 10.30 opening should therefore catch the flood and allow a gentle passage to Rouen with even a break for lunch!
Someone's been doing their homework, good to see You've probably read about the rolling HW that takes several hours to move up river so you're right we probably could leave later. The fluviacarte has tide data for various points between Honfleur & Rouen, you could go right into it to gain the maximum benefit if you really wanted to.

PS Avocet, there is the odd email going back and forth with bits of info about this trip, if you want to pm me your address I'll copy you in, no bother.
Quote:
If the nearest petrol station is a mile away from the boat and you have two jerry cans on a trolley you'll need to make five trips there and back to fill the tank. That's 10 miles of walking.
10 miles to fill your tank? So that'll be over 25 miles of walking for me then Saying that, isn't that what we captains have crew for?
Old 13 February 2011, 20:20   #276

Quote:
Erin's going to fire off an email to them for more detail.
Will do.
Old 13 February 2011, 22:19   #277

Thanks for the pats on the back! I got one of the CEVNIS wrong: if I'm hit by something coming from an axial you'll know it's ignorance rather than incompetance

Google Earth shows a Shell station 100m from the pontoons to the North of the island in Rouen.

Its main problem is that it seems to be across a two lane dual carriageway and a busy two way main road!

I've a 225l tank so should be able to get from Le Havre to Paris without assistance (and vice versa) unless prolonged displacement uses more than I would have thought - I've never done it before, so don't know!
Old 13 February 2011, 23:23   #278

Quote:
I've a 225l tank so should be able to get from Le Havre to Paris without assistance (and vice versa)
Only if you fuelled in Paris...which you can't! Although the non tidal section seems to be better for fuel despite being quieter than the tidal.

You've got similar engine size and fuel capacity as GJ0KYZ and Erin so you're in the same boat (excuse pun).

The deal breaker is Le Havre to at least Port D'ilon, once we've got firm evidence of fuel somewhere between these 2 ports then I think we've cracked it
Old 14 February 2011, 10:04   #279

Quote:
Google Earth shows a Shell station 100m from the pontoons to the North of the island in Rouen.
There's quite a few roadside fuel stations en route, but the main problem is the sheer volume of fuel we would need to cart and the time it would take. I take 220l and have a Suzuki 200, so we should burn similar amounts overall I would have thought, but I don't fancy 8 return trips with a 25l jerry to refuel, I know Matt doesn't relish the thought of 24 trips . I think roadside fuel would have to be a last resort if, for some reason, waterside was closed or unavailable.

I will email a couple of places along the Seine and see what advice or info they can give.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:11   #280

Quote:
The deal breaker is Le Havre to at least Port D'ilon, once we've got firm evidence of fuel somewhere between these 2 ports then I think we've cracked it
..... as in "Get to Port Dylan and Bob's your uncle"!