Old 23 September 2010, 16:42   #21

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Get a good lawyer sorted beforehand...
In my limited experience of popping to France I have always found a really warm reception was released once we mentioned the word Aurigny, it seems the French have a real soft spot for the place.

Back in pre-historic times, ah those were the days, they used to sail to the island to bury their dead because they would look to the island every evening as the sun set over it. A romantic notion that seems to live on in genetic memory to this day. Probably.
Old 23 September 2010, 18:17   #22
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
I believe that Cap Breizh (breton club) have done some trips up the Seine possibly even all the way to Paris. A WAFI I know very well recently contemplated bringing his 33footer all the way up through the French canal system, and the canals round where we are (down towards Rennes and to the south) all seem well maintained etc, so to be honest I don't believe there would be much to stop you, and if in summer, we might well be interested to tag along too if you wouldn't mind
Old 23 September 2010, 18:44   #23

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
In my limited experience of popping to France I have always found a really warm reception
I'm not entirely sure a quick visit to a Normandy port really counts as visiting France. Firstly there's normally no-one on duty, and secondly the local population is usually outnumbered by visiting Channel Islanders.

I see this cutting and pasting malarkey has got Martini hooked. He's obvioulsy bored and been at the Wiki or his school French text book for that last huge post
Old 23 September 2010, 20:17   #24

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Blimey, this must be my most popular thread; thanks for all the replies. Firstly, thank Kwil for finding that article; I’ll read it tonight. As far as I can tell, sailing to Paris is quite straight forward and as gotchiguy points out, the Cap Club have been there before; the photos are on their forum. Earlier this year, some canoeists paddled from Le Havre to Paris. You can see their million-and-one photos all along the Seine on Google Earth.

The river Seine is tidal as far as Rouen with the canalised section starting with the first lock at Amfreville. There are only another five locks before Paris. The distance between Le Havre and Rouen is 92nm and from Rouen to Paris is a further 109nm. There are marinas in Le Havre and Rouen and a first class facility at the Port de Plaisance Paris-Arsenal just upstream from Notre Dame cathedral. There is fuel available at each of these as well as from river-side garages along the way. The speed limit from Le Havre to Rouen is 15kts and from Rouen to Paris there is a limit of 10kts.

As a trial run, why don’t we organise a trip to Rouen over the Easter weekend next year? It would be guaranteed to be a laugh, it would be nice to meet up and would certainly feel like an expedition. And don’t worry about the French; they don’t bite. They’d make us feel welcome and would find it highly amusing to see ‘Les Rost Beefs’ in their pneu bateaux tootling along the Seine.
Old 23 September 2010, 20:43   #25

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
So that'd be 18 hours each way at displacement speed with (for me) a pair of Opti's...I'll speak to the girls but I don't think they'll be keen!
Old 23 September 2010, 20:45   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I've been doing a bit of digging, nothing definitive yet, but you might need an ICC + the CEVNI cert once you get past the tidal section at Rouen.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 21:05   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
So that'd be 18 hours each way at displacement speed with (for me) a pair of Opti's...I'll speak to the girls but I don't think they'll be keen!
LOL - you wouldn't be the first to get excessively oiled with a pair of counter-rotating 'strokers in Paris.

Don't apply full choke and they'll be fine
Old 23 September 2010, 21:09   #28

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Tell em if they behave themselves they can have a day off in Paris and do a bit of shopping down the Champs Elysee . How could any Opti refuse. Keep them away from those French mechanics though! They may never want to come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I've been doing a bit of digging, nothing definitive yet, but you might need an ICC + the CEVNI cert once you get past the tidal section at Rouen.
ICC is fine for me, will have to check the CEVNI bit. Don't they want ATIS on your VHF as well these days
Old 23 September 2010, 21:13   #29

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post

ICC is fine for me, will have to check the CEVNI bit. Don't they want ATIS on your VHF as well these days
I hadn't got that far
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 23 September 2010, 22:25   #30

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
there would be so many beeps it would sound like bernard manning presenting an edition of playschool
Old 24 September 2010, 06:26   #31

Some radio info here:

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boa...ages/atis.aspx
Old 24 September 2010, 07:05   #32

Town: Middlesex
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: Etec 250 HO
MMSI: 235905932
One other point to mention is that you need to pay a licence fee and display a sticker to use the internal waterways.

http://www.tagweb.co.uk/french-water...vnf-guide.html

The need to pay a fee varies across France. For some reason the rivers and canals in Brittany don't charge so we've never actually tried to buy one.
Old 24 September 2010, 07:38   #33

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwil View Post
There was an article in RIB International a year or 2 back on cruising to Paris from Falmouth in a Ballistic rib.
I have managed to find this link if you can get it to work correctly
http://www.ballistic.minisite.net/Reviews-and-Comments

Keith
Was there?
There are a couple of decent Ball-istics over at St.Mawes.

I might be on for the Paris trip.
Old 24 September 2010, 07:42   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The Gendarmes quite like us which is a bit unfair as WE'VE never gone to their rescue
Even to the extent of chummying up to the 3rd Reich down South, it's been suggested.
Old 24 September 2010, 07:45   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
In my limited experience of popping to France I have always found a really warm reception was released once we mentioned the word Aurigny, it seems the French have a real soft spot for the place.
Do you reckon my St.Piran (Cornish flag) would help?
Old 24 September 2010, 07:51   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Even to the extent of chummying up to the 3rd Reich down South, it's been suggested.
Only by those who are remarkably ignorant of historical record. So no-one on here obviously...
Old 24 September 2010, 09:44   #37

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Do you reckon my St.Piran (Cornish flag) would help?
Only in Brittany, everywhere else treats it with the same "respect" as it gets in the UK
Old 26 September 2010, 16:24   #38

A summary of documentation required for anyone who's not familiar with European Waterways:

ICC (International Certificate of Competence)
These are obtained from the RYA. You first need to prove for competence though. This can be done by:
a/ Succesfully completing an RYA course, for us that would be the Powerboat minimum level 2. If you've already done this but havent got an ICC then just send your course completion certificate with a fee to the RYA and they'll give you the ICC.
b/ A shorter ICC course can be done at an RYA school. Bit pointless, you might as well do the powerboat course for the money, at least you'll learn something.

CEVNI (Code Européen des Voies de la Navigation Intérieure)
In English "European Code for Interior Navigation". To use European inland waterways your ICC needs to have a CEVNI endorsement. To get this you need to take the CEVNI exam, fairly easy, it's basically colregs for inland. 14 questions in 2 parts, min 5 correct answers in each part. This can be done at a RYA school but also can now be done online. Download your pass certificate, print off and send to RYA for a new ICC.

ATIS
ATIS is a requirement for European inland waterways but is actually illegal on UK waterways (dont quote me on that though). It is a unique identifying signal that's sent out of your VHF every time you release the PTT. Most modern VHF sets can be set up for ATIS, usually has to go back to the manufacturer, some can be switched on or off. Icom sets have to go back to Icom UK with your Identifying number to be set up, I think they charge £24.00.
To get your vessel ID number you have to apply to OFCOM to have ATIS added to your radio certificate, the number will be your MMSI with a 9 in front of it.

On top of all that you'll need to make sure you have passports, health insurance cards, Vessel's insurance certificate, SSR docs, VHF Operator's Certificate, proof of vessels VAT status if from UK plus anything else I've forgotten.

So don't leave it till the last minute to decide your going on this trip 'cos you won't be!

Edit: You also need a VNF, like a temporary permit to use the waterways. Can be bought as a daily, monthly etc ticket, current prices and other info here:
https://www.vnf.fr/vignettesVNF/page.../tarifs_en.pdf
Old 26 October 2010, 23:07   #39

Did my CEVNI test online last night, £20 through Anglia Sea Ventures.

Although it is an easy test, there is a heck of a lot to learn, the number of signs, buoyage, light signals, sounds etc etc

I couldnt be arsed sitting there trying to memorise it all so took a gamble that I could look up the answer to each question in the RYA book within the 20 second time limit and click on the answer Close call doesn't really cover it

Anyone thats thinking of doing the test the RYA have an interactive site where you can do a mock exam

http://www.ryainteractive.org/
Old 27 October 2010, 07:07   #40

Quote:
I couldnt be arsed sitting there trying to memorise it all so took a gamble that I could look up the answer to each question in the RYA book within the 20 second time limit and click on the answer Close call doesn't really cover it
lol

Sounds like the makings of a party game.

Not too dissimilar to the way some people do Channel crossings.... "Ooh look at the size of that cargo ship, will we be able to get under the bow?"