Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 July 2010, 09:32   #31
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
There once was a Scotsman called Bruce
Who's transom began to come loose
He said "it's a bummer"
It's ruined my summer
and kept me confined to tha hoose

Right so, LooseBruce, gimme dates, starting with not this weekend

Tony is good for first two weeks of August

Donegaldan's Amazing Flying Sofa may even be around...
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 11:37   #32
RIBnet supporter
 
donegaldan's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Donegal
Boat name: Deep Six
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 175
Send a message via Skype™ to donegaldan
Redbay trip

For this trip, i think the amazing flying sofa will make a special appearance.
That, and i need to use my own boat as apposed to everyone else this summer.
DonegalDan
__________________
donegaldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 11:47   #33
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by donegaldan View Post
and i need to use my own boat as apposed to everyone else this summer.
DonegalDan
You get a visit from Jiminy Cricket?

Anyways - the weekend of the 21 & 22 doesn't suit - Redbay are on Tour
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 11:51   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
At the moment I don't know as I only got the boat back on Friday.
Have reinstalled both transducers and the aux bracket. The bilge pump and lighting pole are next but I am installing a brace to this and have shortened it. Pipe is cut/shaped and should be going round to the marina tomorrow for welding together.
Once I have this back I just need another day or so to put all the rest back in, cleand and fuel the boat up.
Other trips to Orkney and Shetland in the next 5 weeks are now crowding this trip both in time and money, the cracked transom has basically cost me about 6 weeks of the summer
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 12:24   #35
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
the cracked transom has basically cost me about 6 weeks of the summer
Sorry to digress.... (I would never normally do that ) but what was the fault Bruce , and how did they fix, were they good about it etc etc ?
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 14:29   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
The transom had cracked and split between the glassfibre transom rear and the internal reinforcing on the knee side right along the top edge of the transom.
I am told it wasn't any more than a few inches deep but it wasn't clear until it was ground back for reglassing.
They did it gratis, if you can call three days travelling and £350 in fuel and expenses gratis! but I was told the lightpole on the transom had caused it and warned that it had to be reinforced or removed in case it happened again.
I may not be a fibreglasser but I am an engineer and do understand stresses and don't really accept that explanation. However they were good enough to repair it and I am going to cut down the pole 14" and add a brace to the deck just in case I have further problems to save any arguments if it happens again.
It was ground back and reglassed and looks like new, time will tell it is as strong as before.
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 17:51   #37
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
The transom had cracked and split between the glassfibre transom rear and the internal reinforcing on the knee side right along the top edge of the transom.
I am told it wasn't any more than a few inches deep but it wasn't clear until it was ground back for reglassing.
They did it gratis, if you can call three days travelling and £350 in fuel and expenses gratis! but I was told the lightpole on the transom had caused it and warned that it had to be reinforced or removed in case it happened again.
I may not be a fibreglasser but I am an engineer and do understand stresses and don't really accept that explanation. However they were good enough to repair it and I am going to cut down the pole 14" and add a brace to the deck just in case I have further problems to save any arguments if it happens again.
It was ground back and reglassed and looks like new, time will tell it is as strong as before.

Hmm yea sounds like the usual ( oh Ive never seen that before carry on) .. good they've sorted it though, and I can well understand the hassle of all the transport, especially when you've got better things to do still .. better get that cruising time in .. willk has some special Poitín I think hes needing some help with
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 18:22   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
From a practical point of view I don't think I can manage this trip till at least mid september.
The boat will be a week or possibly two till its back together depending on the time for the welding which depends on the marina.
I am off to orkney 14th Aug for a week, then on call for the next week. Week after that I am diving on the clyde 28/29th Aug and then away to Shetland the 4th Sep for a yet another week diving.
The broken boat has certainly screwed up this summer for Ribbing!
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 11:30   #39
RIBnet supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 909
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
From a practical point of view I don't think I can manage this trip till at least mid september.
The boat will be a week or possibly two till its back together depending on the time for the welding which depends on the marina.
I am off to orkney 14th Aug for a week, then on call for the next week. Week after that I am diving on the clyde 28/29th Aug and then away to Shetland the 4th Sep for a yet another week diving.
The broken boat has certainly screwed up this summer for Ribbing!
OK - September is possible - IF I get enough advance notice??
End of September is no go.
__________________
-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
Any meaning read into my message is the product of your own mind...
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 15:07   #40
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Right so The Bruce, that gives you seven (sivin?) working days for a departure on Friday 6th August. I'll still respect you if your lighting pole is floppy on the morning.

More seriously, I'm a No Go for most September weekends due to work commitments (covering holidays) but ok midweek

Make those marina wallahs earn it and we'll come git ya in Campbeltoon!

You know you want to...
___________________________

Hey, just a thought, your poxy rib doesn't have to come, speak sweet to CraigC and you can go home with him. He has a well class ride. 'Spect!
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.