Old 12 June 2013, 16:23   #82

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
I don't think that there will be many bass about Matt its all sand.
Nothing wrong with Sand Mate!..One of My best EVER Bass (Boat) Fishing session was over the Skerries out of Dartmouth,Like the Sahara on the Sounder! Although plenty of Undulations..Two Fishing... 12 fish ALL beween 4 and 9LB!!.. Pluss a Nice Brill of 4lb+! Live Launce for Bait.(Greater Sandeel). Fished on a Long Flowing Trace..
Dawlish Warren(Sand Central!) is Plenty Good off the Beach too when the Conditions are right.....As are all the Very Famous Bass Strand-Storm Type Beaches in Irland.Give it a go Steve..You may just surprise yourself

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2013, 16:50   #83

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
you wouldnt launch at lo water on the 22nd. the water will be off the end of the slip from 0314 til 0638 and also between 1537 and 1907. At those times the water should be right at the drop off at the slip end so it needs a fair bit of leeway either side of that. Launching nearer low than high is much easier. The angle of the slip at the top after "the dogleg" is much shallower and the tide can kick up sone goodly waves. I would prefer to be down less than say 6m.

Bass?? the lads fish commercialy by rod n line for 'em but it needs a **** loada local knowledge Better be content to bottom fish for plaice with black or blowlug around the outside of walney and hope the odd wandering bass turns up for ya. The plaice fishing there was absolutely out of this world 15 years ago but then our european b******, sorry cousins came a visiting Still the odd one around if youre lucky.
Old 12 June 2013, 16:56   #84

on sunday the tide will go off at 1620 but that is far, far too late for a guaranteed retrieve especially if there are a lotta people queueing up for it. You have been warned need to be in well before that. Even so it will be muddy down at the bottom of the slip

And dont run aground on the bank opposite or it will be a long wait
Old 12 June 2013, 16:59   #85

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
you wouldnt launch at lo water on the 22nd. the water will be off the end of the slip from 0314 til 0638 and also between 1537 and 1907. At those times the water should be right at the drop off at the slip end so it needs a fair bit of leeway either side of that. Launching nearer low than high is much easier. The angle of the slip at the top after "the dogleg" is much shallower and the tide can kick up sone goodly waves. I would prefer to be down less than say 6m.

Bass?? the lads fish commercialy by rod n line for 'em but it needs a **** loada local knowledge Better be content to bottom fish for plaice with black or blowlug around the outside of walney and hope the odd wandering bass turns up for ya. The plaice fishing there was absolutely out of this world 15 years ago but then our european b******, sorry cousins came a visiting Still the odd one around if youre lucky.
Thanks for that Dave, on the Sunday return what would be the better time for recovery back at Knott End.
Old 12 June 2013, 17:02   #86

RIBase
Quote:
on sunday the tide will go off at 1620 but that is far, far too late for a guaranteed retrieve especially if there are a lotta people queueing up for it. You have been warned need to be in well before that. Even so it will be muddy down at the bottom of the slip

And dont run aground on the bank opposite or it will be a long wait
You must have posted that as I was typing Many thanks
Old 12 June 2013, 17:07   #87

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Looks like I'll pack me mud prop!! Lol
Old 12 June 2013, 17:19   #88

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Steve, I am currently swapping over my car and waiting for new one and have took my towbar off my current one, so I am thinking of launching from Ty Calch and boating up to Piel Island on the friday. Looking at google earth it looks to be a little further than crossing to Ireland (for which I had enough fuel) and I have got four X 20 litre fuel cans. My concerns are, 1. Crossing the shipping lanes into Liverpool/Heysham. 2. Ensuring that I have enough fuel, and obtaining fuel for the return journey (via jerry cans probably??) 3. Confirming where everybody is camping and there is availability for two nights stay. 4. The weather!! As soon as I am certain that I will be going I will let you know more. Unless my new car is here, tow bar can be fitted same day that I get it, other than that I may pop up and hitch a ride over with someone else, so I will keep you informed
Old 12 June 2013, 17:58   #89

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Is this a local council slip or private, ie.. paperwork etc .
Old 12 June 2013, 18:21   #90

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Council slip but no paperwork needed. As Dave says it can be a tricky launch especially if the wind is up

To balance that though we will have many pairs of hands to help get to RIBS under power. Once your going its fine its the getting off the trailer and staying in one place while engines are started that can be a problem

I'm other words ill bring me dry suit
Old 12 June 2013, 18:56   #91

\you're worrying me a bit with this idea of a loada boats going down the slip at once and causing a queue on the slip. There is a big free (how often do you hear that) car park there for prep, please use it and not the slipway and try not to hold the locals up who use this slip day in and day out. I would be fuming to find myself at the wrong end of a line of boats who have not been there before with each taking a relatively long time for what for us is just a daily routine. The local boys, esp the commercial fishermen will be down and off that slip single handed in the blink of an eye whilst mere mortals are still thinking about it. There are a couple of boys in particular with whom we have an excellent "help each other" professional relationship built up over many years but I really wouldnt want to be the one who upset either of them as they are not noted for their calm debate and reasoning of an adverse situation!!
The slip is dredged from the slip by a JCB on the south side (the ferry side) but not the other. This means that you need to follow the line of the slip at most states of tide and not drive off at right angles to it. The slip ends abruptly about a metre after the last lamp post so near low water do not drive the trailer off the end! or walk off it There is also a kink in it (the dogleg) halfway down...do not join the ranks of those who have driven the trailer off there because they thought the slip was straight! It isnt!
At lowish water you cannot drive straight out to the channel cos there is a ***** big bank there. Watch what the ferry does, he will come over from Fleetwood to the red buoy turn just outside of it (do not go inside it!) and then head towards the bottom lamp post turning right along the line of the slip just before he gets to it so as to follow the JCB trench. Dont knock you prop about on the slipway bollards although many have been removed now.
There are some sharp bits of metal on the side of the slip at one point low down where a wooden rubbing piece has rotted away - keep an eye open for them.
I may be there....but likely to be away skippering the big boat.
Old 12 June 2013, 19:09   #92

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:

Believe me....If there's a Comercial Line caught Fishery Loacaly there must be some good Fish to be Caught!''You Pays your Money...ect but I would do a liitle Homework and go for em!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2013, 19:14   #93

RIBase
Quote:
\you're worrying me a bit with this idea of a loada boats going down the slip at once and causing a queue on the slip. There is a big free (how often do you hear that) car park there for prep, please use it and not the slipway and try not to hold the locals up who use this slip day in and day out. I would be fuming to find myself at the wrong end of a line of boats who have not been there before with each taking a relatively long time for what for us is just a daily routine. The local boys, esp the commercial fishermen will be down and off that slip single handed in the blink of an eye whilst mere mortals are still thinking about it. There are a couple of boys in particular with whom we have an excellent "help each other" professional relationship built up over many years but I really wouldnt want to be the one who upset either of them as they are not noted for their calm debate and reasoning of an adverse situation!!
The slip is dredged from the slip by a JCB on the south side (the ferry side) but not the other. This means that you need to follow the line of the slip at most states of tide and not drive off at right angles to it. The slip ends abruptly about a metre after the last lamp post so near low water do not drive the trailer off the end! or walk off it There is also a kink in it (the dogleg) halfway down...do not join the ranks of those who have driven the trailer off there because they thought the slip was straight! It isnt!
At lowish water you cannot drive straight out to the channel cos there is a ***** big bank there. Watch what the ferry does, he will come over from Fleetwood to the red buoy turn just outside of it (do not go inside it!) and then head towards the bottom lamp post turning right along the line of the slip just before he gets to it so as to follow the JCB trench. Dont knock you prop about on the slipway bollards although many have been removed now.
There are some sharp bits of metal on the side of the slip at one point low down where a wooden rubbing piece has rotted away - keep an eye open for them.
I may be there....but likely to be away skippering the big boat.

Don't worry Dave, we all know to prep our boats on the car park first before going anywhere near the slip also we would let the local guys go first who are quick launchers. Politeness will be our number 1 priority ..

We really appreciate your advice on this trip Dave, thanks
Old 12 June 2013, 19:22   #94

Quote:
do a liitle Homework
I ***** live here and cant get it right! Mind you when we had cod and I wrote for the fishing mags we were indeed the boat to follow! Now I'm the one to avoid! If I'm there its guaranteed that the fish aren't!
Caught a lotta cod to 30lb last week though!
Mind you I had to go to the Arctic Circle for 'em and spend an awful lotta Kronas ......... Beer at around £10 a pint is surely taking the ****
Old 12 June 2013, 19:28   #95

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
Steve, I am currently swapping over my car and waiting for new one and have took my towbar off my current one, so I am thinking of launching from Ty Calch and boating up to Piel Island on the friday. Looking at google earth it looks to be a little further than crossing to Ireland (for which I had enough fuel) and I have got four X 20 litre fuel cans. My concerns are, 1. Crossing the shipping lanes into Liverpool/Heysham. 2. Ensuring that I have enough fuel, and obtaining fuel for the return journey (via jerry cans probably??) 3. Confirming where everybody is camping and there is availability for two nights stay. 4. The weather!! As soon as I am certain that I will be going I will let you know more. Unless my new car is here, tow bar can be fitted same day that I get it, other than that I may pop up and hitch a ride over with someone else, so I will keep you informed

Don't worry Mike, we should be able to make room between us all PD might need room as well jf his skegs are not ready.
Old 12 June 2013, 19:59   #96

route into Heysham " Lune Deeps" isnt very busy at all. Well buoyed channel just look for anything about that area. Its busy in the Walney channel at times with Windfarm vessels They do keep to a speed limit around Piel to keep down what can otherwise be a big wash. They will adhere to it cos the marine controller has his beady eye on the AIS.
Old 12 June 2013, 20:02   #97

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
............PD might need room as well jf his skegs are not ready.
Sheesh! you just won't let it lie will you
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2013, 20:09   #98

RIBase
I wonder if any of these are knocking about Morecambe bay

Old 13 June 2013, 13:48   #99

Town: Crewe
Boat name: BLACK BOSS
Make: humber & searider
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x200 ETEC & 2x40
MMSI: ex directory
RIBase
is this trip still on for the 22 , where would you launch from
Old 13 June 2013, 14:17   #100

Quote:
I wonder if any of these are knocking about Morecambe bay
not seen any, mind you we did have a very tame dolphin a few years ago but he is long gone now. Probably some porpoises en route and the bottom end of Walney Island has a resident colony of grey seals. Probably on the beach or asleep on the green buoys-they dont seem to like the red ones.
Caught this last week...or did he catch me, but it wasnt Morecambe Bay!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	81381