RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Pembroke Area - Easter 2012

Back in Easter 2009 we took Dizzy Lizzy to Pembroke for a week's cruising. (See http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/pembrok...ril-28893.html .

We are intending doing the same again this Easter but taking Blue Ray.
We'll probably do pretty much the same as before - basing ourselves in Neyland Marina or close by and visiting Skokholm and Skomer Islands over the week.

As ever, it depends on the weather, but we'll probably be boating each day from Good Friday to the Tuesday after Easter.

Anyone else in the area wanting to meet up to cruise in company and/or show us the sights will be most welcome.

Oh yes - and where would you recommend (or not if it comes to that) as suitable slips in the area for launching and recovering an 8.6m boat?

Trev
Old 22 March 2012, 22:25   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Trev,
May be able to join you on Good Friday, but will be away myself Sat - Tue.
Neyland is the best slip in the area for launching a big RIB - don't know if the pontoon will be there that early though.
Good time of year to visit Skomer, as the puffins will have just arrived, so lots of wildlife to see.
DHD
Old 03 April 2012, 17:37   #3
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
Hi Trev,
However we usually head out to open coast sometimes heading South when the range isn't firing missiles out to sea, I'll have to check the local rag and see if there firing over easter, However heading North we'd have no problem.
I've still no fixed date on the Ramsey trip yet and would preffer to go with neap tides, But if your around for the weekend the large tides can make for big overfalls if we get much wind against tide.
Do you have any launch sites planed already?
Paul.
I agree - neaps would have been better - but I have a feeling that as Easter is defined by the moon cycle, it is always springs at Easter!
It would be good if you could check the range firing - as it's meant to be Northerly winds a trip South will be a good day out one day to make the most of the shelter.
We are probably launching on Thursday afternoon from either Neyland or Cobbs in Pembroke, and are leaving the boat in Neyland Yacht Harbour for the Easter weekend rather than trying to launch and retrieve each day.
How about aiming at Friday for the Ramsey trip as currently I think the weather forecast is marginally better then?
My mobile is 07840 975807 in case anyone needs it nearer the time.
Trev
Old 03 April 2012, 23:10   #4
Dhf

Length: no boat
Lookes like you now what to expect round here then Trev and I fully understand your terminology from your previous Pemb's outing "awkward waves" theres plenty of them round here, Great pics by the way, looks like one was taken in the wild goose race, It doesn't take much to get airborn there. I've got a mobil mechanic calling thursday to plug ob for diagnostics and service, If all goes well i'd be well up for a trip friday.
Old 04 April 2012, 21:07   #5
RIBnet supporter

We're leaving early tomorrow to start the tow to Pembroke.
Should be launching from Neyland or Cobbs late afternoon and leaving Blue Ray at Neyland Marina.
Meeting Friday morning @ 10.00 @ Neyland Marina Cafe with another Biboa boat.
Hopefully meet up with anyone else who's out and about and head off round the Islands.
Trev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Milford Haven weather 6-4-12.JPG
Views:	851
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	66824  
Old 06 April 2012, 17:41   #6
RIBnet supporter

Just had a great day out.
Neyland - Skokholm - Skomer - Ramsey - Grassholme - Skokholm - Dale - Milford Haven and back to Pembroke.
Saw Porpoises or Dolphins (hard to tell - small fins though) before we even got to Skokholm. Seals and Puffins at Skomer. More Dolphins / Porpoises between Skomer and Ramsey. Went past the Bitches without hitting any of them!
Lots of smelly birds on Grassholm - but then again that's what you go to look at!
We may think the Solent is expensive - but Milford Haven wanted £2.75 per metre just for a short stay inside the Haven - for us that would have been £23.65 for a few hours stop! Outside on the waiting pontoon is free - but they don't encourage visitors at that price!
Did 4.1 engine hours, 64.6nm, used 103 litres of petrol (7 up though).
(That works out at approx £21 each in fuel for a cracking day out. Hmm - I can sell that to Mrs G as just £5 per hour - what good value boating can be )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Track 6-4-12.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	66892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seals 2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	66893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seals 3.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	66894   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120406_153818.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	66895  
Old 06 April 2012, 19:07   #7

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G
Just had a great day out.
Neyland - Skokholm - Skomer - Ramsey - Grassholme - Skokholm - Dale - Milford Haven and back to Pembroke.
Saw Porpoises or Dolphins (hard to tell - small fins though) before we even got to Skokholm. Seals and Puffins at Skomer. More Dolphins / Porpoises between Skomer and Ramsey. Went past the Bitches without hitting any of them!
Lots of smelly birds on Grassholm - but then again that's what you go to look at!
We may think the Solent is expensive - but Milford Haven wanted £2.75 per metre just for a short stay inside the Haven - for us that would have been £23.65 for a few hours stop! Outside on the waiting pontoon is free - but they don't encourage visitors at that price!
Did 4.1 engine hours, 64.6nm, used 103 litres of petrol (7 up though).
(That works out at approx £21 each in fuel for a cracking day out. Hmm - I can sell that to Mrs G as just £5 per hour - what good value boating can be )
Looks as though you had a great day
Wales is a fantastic place
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2012, 23:02   #8
Dhf

Hats off Trev, That's alota ground you covered there, Family comitments restricted my ability to join today, However i'm hoping to get out Sunday for a few hours and hope to see you about, Great pic of the basking seal in South haven,
Regards
Paul.
Old 07 April 2012, 18:55   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
I'm hoping to get out Sunday for a few hours and hope to see you about.
Tried to go back out to Skomer with our friend's 4.3m Zodiac (as well as Blue Ray) but the F4 - 5 Northerly wind made the chop outside Milford Sound just too uncomfortable for the Zodiac so Rick and I turned back leaving Mrs G to follow our previous route to Skomer in Bllue Ray. It was her 1st proper passage as skipper- which she did without any mishaps. No porpoises but many more Puffins were seen and just as many Seals.
Met up again in Milford Haven as there wasn't enough water to get into Dale and all stuffed ourselves on "Captain's breakfasts" and hot chocolates in Spinakers Cafe on Nelson Quay - definitely one to recommend!
Tomorrow we aim to head up-river and lunch in Lawrenny - Dragonhawk ficht - maybe we'll see you around?
Trev
Old 07 April 2012, 23:19   #10
Dhf

That's fantastic hats off again to Mrs G for a first proper go . Talk about being thrown in the deep end, Well done Mrs G much respect the overfalls must have been rather large in the sounds today,
Great choice on grub Trev I usually order the Cb myself down there, If your heading up river see if you can catch the evening tide aswell and you'll make it all the way to Haverfordwest by 19.00 where you'll find wonderfull refreshments at The Bristol Trader, But not much further or you'll hit the weir. However Lawrenny is a great location aswell, I certainly hope to make it out tomorrow it would be great to meet up, My wife has no interest in boats so I have to work around the whole family on occasions like Easter but my 6yr old son loves it and has 10nm under his belt already, So lets hope Sunday goes smooth and i'll give you a call on your mob before hopfully setting off,
Old 08 April 2012, 08:22   #11
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
I certainly hope to make it out tomorrow it would be great to meet up. I'll give you a call on your mob before hopfully setting off,
Leaving Neyland about 10.15 for Dale.
Plan A - hope there's enough water for a quick cuppa before heading back to Neyland to pick up rest of crew and on to Lawrenny.
Plan B - get stuck at Dale and have to wait until late afternoon to get out again!
Do give me a call if you're out. 07840 975807
Old 08 April 2012, 12:54   #12

Town: Torrance
We're 'weathered off' in Milford too... Saw a couple of RIBS running around as we streamed in yesterday about 1300.

Nice night in the Harbour Master bar last night followed by good fried breakfast this morning. Few jobs and nice roast beef dinner planned - work isn't all bad I guess!

SDG