Old 02 May 2018, 19:08   #21

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Easdale, the Oyster Bar and more.
Matt
Not wanting to split hairs, The Oyster Bar is technically as far as locals are concerned is referred to as The Mainland which is Ellenabeich. It is where we have our ticket office and the best place to start tracking me down.
Tying up at Ellenabeich can have its moments. The end wall of the pier is reasonable but can be a climb. The side wall has a ladder held up by a rope. This keeps you out of the way of the ferry ramp which is in constant use by the ferry and ourselves along with the scallop divers. The best thing is to tie up temporarily and just ask.
The island opposite is Easdale where there is a harbour. It is easy to tie up just beyond the ferry ramp where ther3 are some slate steps. You will find The Puffer Bar on Easdale Island. If you are bringing small children there is a playpark directly opposite the Puffer so you can eat your food outside in peace and quiet whilst the children play.

Just drop an email to oban@seafari.co.uk nearer the time

Tony
Old 02 May 2018, 19:48   #22

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty75 View Post
Hi guys.
Thanks for all your comments.
I've been through the forum and have found some great bits of info, especially from The Gurnards posts great stuff.

Unfortunately I can't make it to the ERR this year, so its going to be a solo trip for me when I get up there at the end of May.

Staffa, Muck and round the Mull would be great, however I think that this year I'll stay relatively "local" to Oban.
Thanks for the advice with regards to going clockwise

Easdale is on the cards and thanks for the invite Tony and would love to drop in for a chat.
I was in and around Easdale last May doing a spot of diving. Great place, especially the Oyster Bar where I got a lovely hot soup and coffee.
With regards to tying up a RIB there, where can I do this so that I can get a bite to eat in the Oyster? Who would I have to arrange this with?

Tobermory is also on the cards as is Loch Sunart & Salen - I'm looking forward to the cafe and the homebakes

Glencoe is on the cards if I get a chance.

With regards to the Falls of Laura, what is the best way/method of transiting this area to get into Loch Etive, i.e. what stage of tide etc.?

Again, thanks for all the info and advice.
Presently I have a number of passage plans prepared, Oban - Easdale - Ardoran - Glencoe - Tobermory - Loch Sunart - Loch Spelve - Loch Etive - Loch Creran and hopefully some more

If anybody has any further ideas or suggestions please fire away.
I'll try to do a write up of my experiences during and after the trip.

Cheers.

Matt.
you can go into loch etive any tide up either side of the big reef in the middle unless of course you are in a ship
Old 02 May 2018, 21:14   #23

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
you can go into loch etive any tide up either side of the big reef in the middle unless of course you are in a ship

South side channel is easiest just bear towards the north as soon as you're past the the reef cause you'll be heading for another.
Old 31 May 2018, 04:55   #24

Town: Trearddur Bay
Boat name: Myles Aweigh
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo inboard diesel
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
South side channel is easiest just bear towards the north as soon as you're past the the reef cause you'll be heading for another.
There's a little cafe on the wall at Lochaline were you can tie up and have a coffee with a lovely friendly owner ,its half way up the sound of mull,
Tobermory is a lovely place to send the night with a nice pontoon
Old 31 May 2018, 12:31   #25

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
never hit it yet you can go first next time to see how easy that new prop will straighten out
Old 31 May 2018, 22:21   #26

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Falls of Lora stick right on the way in & save your prop!

Joking aside mid tide on an outgoing tide is most entertaining ... if you heading into Lihnnhe keep right... it should be obvious what to avoid