Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Newport (IoW) cruise - 1 November

Anyone about in the Solent tomorrow?

With the weather looking set to be good (albeit cold) I am aiming to dress up warmly and go to Newport for lunch. I've never been there before but there are apparently a number of good pubs. With a high tide (4.0m) at Folly at 12.35 pm, access should easily be available for RIBs 2.5 hrs either side which give plenty of time.

The plan is for me and Mrs A to leave Poole at 10.46 with a view to getting into the River Medina just before high tide. We can RV with anyone from Poole, Christchurch, Lymington en route or (for anyone coming from the East) at Cowes.

We will be going in any event, but it would be nice to have some company!
Old 31 October 2008, 18:38   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I will be out tomorrow from Hythe, planning to head out at about 12.30ish and then head out to Yarmouth and then possibly onto Needles probably stay out till about 8 to get a bit of night time nav practice in.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2008, 22:04   #3

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
It is going to be hectic at Newport Quay tomorrow yearly haul out of small Yachts
However try the bargmansrest if you make it
Old 01 November 2008, 01:04   #4

Chris

Sorry about the late reply!

Mrs A has changed her mind but I'm still up for it. Your'e probably launching too late for my outward trip but might catch you on the return.

That's a long time to be out in the cold but keep a listening eye out (isn't there a mixed metaphore in there somewhere?) on CH77 and I might see you on the flip flop with a thermos of coffee! If the weather conditions worsten and conditions make my speed less than expected, I might get some night practice of my own!

Grumpy

'Hectic at Newport' sounds like a newspaper contributor's entry; but good to know that there's life at the end (nerly) of the Medina! If I make it, there's a pint in it for you at The Bargeman's Rest (subject to 'hectic' being able to manage it!)

David
Old 01 November 2008, 17:32   #5

Made it and am now safely home, showered and changed.
Mrs A didn't like the look of the weather (she will put up with some discomfort - but not a lot!) and backed out to be replaced by a friend and his son. To prove her right it started raining as we left Poole and then didn't stop. The direct offshore route got changed to the longer coastal route in the lee of the southern mainland and we got up to over 40k towards Hurst.

The rain got harder and harder throughout the day and, although there was little spray, we were soaked by the time we got to the Bargeman's Rest at Newport. Nice friendly pub (even though they thought we were mad coming from Poole on such a day) and very easy to find (on the right at the end of the river!). Thanks for the recommendation Grumpy -although you didn't claim your beer (if you were there)!

The return journey (via Yarmouth to refuel) was much of the same only wetter, despite the wind being behind us this time. Averaged about 35k most of the way despite poor visibility. Put out a couple of calls to Chris but heard nothing: can't say I blame him if he stayed at home!

The weather was too bad for any decent photos but definitely a trip to repeat - preferably in sunnier weather and with company.

David
Old 01 November 2008, 20:11   #6

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Well done & no i was not there
to be honest didnot think you would bother