Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Upcoming RIB cruises
Click Here to Login

Old 14 October 2013, 12:17   #361

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Playing devils advocate for a minute: There wasn't much point in checking the forecast on the days leading up to it, if on the day some of you heard "Galeforce 8 in the Wight" and headed on anyway.

Whilst this thread is great and it seems like a success in hindsight, at what point is it a poor choice to head out across the channel? (With any given experienc or equipment) As stated, it really wasn't a day for towing and I don't think any craft had righting equipment/watertight engines. I hope some at worst had personal beacons.

I personally would never have continued had i heard that. But maybe I'm just a fair weather boater.

The Force 5 wind over tide with someover falls on the round Anglesey was testing in terms of endurance for 6-8 hours, if not particularly risky for a deep V well set up 5.5m plus RIB. But with shelter at all times if needed and 20+ boats to tow you in. Safety was pretty good.

But a Force 8 prediction across channel which did end up in a 6m confused swell. Had things not gone well, would the Ribnet Jury have been pointing the "Why the F*** did they continue" finger? I'd think so.
Old 14 October 2013, 12:25   #362

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
You boys should come out with us this Sat, off to Cowes for a night out

http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/ajs-sta...eux-57590.html
Love to but recon I had better spend the weekend with the family + work saturday
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 12:25   #363

Town: Fareham
A splendid cruise to France! (a bit hardwork coming back)

Apologies for not reporting last night, the kids were doing homework and the computers were all in use until about 8, unfortunately I was asleep at this point and couldn't take advantage

Really enjoyed this weekend, what a fantastic bunch of RIBnutters you all are!

Thanks goes to landlord who did a splendid job of organizing things. I would also like to thank him for the Tee Shirts with the Osprey logo on the front

Many thanks also go to Ian M for allowing me to tag along with him and for "putting" up with me We had some fun along the way didn't we Ian? One time we even checked to see if his RIB leaks from the inside out didn't we? I'm pleased to report that it did!

I also wanted to thank everyone else for their inputs too, without you a cruise just wouldn't be a cruise, so well done!

Report:

Outbound Leg
The trip going over on Ians Vipermax was a little lumpy but I was smiling all the way. The Easterly wind was doing it's utmost to get me drenched and I figured on my waistline down getting soaked, I did have a strategy! My Gecko was keeping my head warm and dry but unfortunately we plunged in to a hole that was created by some converging waves which sucked us in and spat us out the other side (see RIB leak test earlier). Obviously the feel of all this cold water gushing down my neck isn't one I'd like repeated any time soon I didn't feel the cold for the whole trip once the water had warmed up.

We managed several short stops to regroup and refresh was a pretty normal trip for most. One casualty of the outbound leg was that Yorky's console pulled away from the deck on one side One of the AJstars crew suffered with what appeared to be a sprained ankle. He was transferred on to Trevor's RIB Blue Ray for the conclusion of the leg.

I can only speak for myself, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Cherbourg

Hotel was sited conveniently close to the Marina and after a hot shower we met in the bar for "Tipples". I did wander off for a short time with Andy and his Brother in-law to find repair materials for Yorky. We found a Chandlers that was open and bought some larger screws and a Sikaflex substitute. The French lady that served us was particularly helpful and forthcoming repairs made.

After "Tipples" we all went to find some food. After being refused access to one restaurant due to the size of our party, we ended up in La Pizza (I think thanks goes to Pikey Dave for recommending that one). Food was great, company was great and a fantastic evening was had by all and after went back to the hotel for more "Tipples"

Following day in the Marina the wind seemed to have eased, after refueling and heading out in to the harbour I made a jokey comment to Ian "Conditions must be grim as there were a number of fishing boats returning to harbor"......The Joke was on me!

Homeward Bound

After heading out of the protection of the Sea wall it was pretty obvious that conditions were worse than the day before. The wind as I'm sure you all know had moved from East to West. There wasn't a big swell but more of a large Solent chop. Hours of pounding pursued, it was hard going! As others have said, Grimalkin and Raptor set course for Poole and our group to the Needles.

You know what they say about smoke always goes towards Non Smokers, I had waves in my face again

You all know what happened about the Pan Pan situation, I'm obviously over the moon that with some corrective action we were able to continue our journey.

I have total repect for the smaller RIBs in our group, well done!

My Man of the Match award goes to....

As you all know, I jumped aboard with Trevor on Blue Ray who was acting as tail gun Charley. I'd like this opportunity to pay a special tribute to trev! I know he probably won't want me to, but contrary to most peoples belief that larger RIBs are more comfortable, at the speed we were doing it was anything but! Not many of you will be aware but Trev was battling with his own problems induced by the slow passage. I helmed Blue Ray for a short time and all she wanted to do was stretch her legs and needed constant reining in.

Thanks for keeping a watchful eye on us all!

PS: Just a few bruises and no ill effects from the weekend

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 12:36   #364

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Playing devils advocate for a minute: There wasn't much point in checking the forecast on the days leading up to it, if on the day some of you heard "Galeforce 8 in the Wight" and headed on anyway.

Whilst this thread is great and it seems like a success in hindsight, at what point is it a poor choice to head out across the channel? (With any given experienc or equipment) As stated, it really wasn't a day for towing and I don't think any craft had righting equipment/watertight engines. I hope some at worst had personal beacons.

I personally would never have continued had i heard that. But maybe I'm just a fair weather boater.

The Force 5 wind over tide with someover falls on the round Anglesey was testing in terms of endurance for 6-8 hours, if not particularly risky for a deep V well set up 5.5m plus RIB. But with shelter at all times if needed and 20+ boats to tow you in. Safety was pretty good.

But a Force 8 prediction across channel which did end up in a 6m confused swell. Had things not gone well, would the Ribnet Jury have been pointing the "Why the F*** did they continue" finger? I'd think so.
Wondered how long it would be till this came along and I can’t help but agree to a point, you could ask the same question to anyone taking unnecessary risk. After all 99% off us Ribbers are out for fun and do not need to take to the water, same for mountain climbing, diving, ski diving all sports really. Cant speak for the Friday crew but our little band of 5 boats all looking out for each other, yes it was unnecessary risk any channel crossing for fun would be, but with out a bit of risk in your life it can be a bit dull!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 12:43   #365

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I've always been a Great Believer in Personal Choice and responsibility...with a Well founded Boat (and Crew) it is eminently 'doable'.... and if a little extreme for some..Hey Ho..It's absolutely no problem!....Better to Stay at home.
For me, pushing the limits (now and then!) is how you grow as a Boater,and makes life worth living..Love it!
Sops me Yawning too!!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 12:45   #366

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post

Wondered how long it would be till this came along and I can’t help but agree to a point, you could ask the same question to anyone taking unnecessary risk. After all 99% off us Ribbers are out for fun and do not need to take to the water, same for mountain climbing, diving, ski diving all sports really.
I'd agree...maybe worth splitting the thread to a decision making go/no go thread ?

My personal view is that as always every skipper makes his own call based on personal preference and experience.

My understanding is that all of the boats crossing had lots (up to huge) amounts of experience, were well kitted out, had support from each other and were willing to accept a slow crossing.

Issues were encountered and overcome...either by support boats or other means.

Everyone and thing came back ok, wiser, more experienced etc...maybe having found problems note that if it out alone could have been more serious(no one wants a seat coming out of the deck while on their own etc....as mustrib knows).
Old 14 October 2013, 12:46   #367

Town: Fareham
Quote:

I wouldn't have gone Friday, end of! But I have a motto "Live to fight another day!"

If conditions had been horrible on Saturday I wouldn't have wanted to travel either but we poked our noses out the Solent and it didn't look too bad. Conditions over the weekend were meant to improve slightly and we were in a decent size group with some very experienced helms and a few experienced "spare" helms too, there's a risk to everything we do but everyone's idea of acceptable risk is different.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 13:02   #368

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Playing devils advocate for a minute: There wasn't much point in checking the forecast on the days leading up to it, if on the day some of you heard "Galeforce 8 in the Wight" and headed on anyway. Whilst this thread is great and it seems like a success in hindsight, at what point is it a poor choice to head out across the channel? (With any given experienc or equipment) As stated, it really wasn't a day for towing and I don't think any craft had righting equipment/watertight engines. I hope some at worst had personal beacons. I personally would never have continued had i heard that. But maybe I'm just a fair weather boater. The Force 5 wind over tide with someover falls on the round Anglesey was testing in terms of endurance for 6-8 hours, if not particularly risky for a deep V well set up 5.5m plus RIB. But with shelter at all times if needed and 20+ boats to tow you in. Safety was pretty good. But a Force 8 prediction across channel which did end up in a 6m confused swell. Had things not gone well, would the Ribnet Jury have been pointing the "Why the F*** did they continue" finger? I'd think so.
Trust you to start a debate Well done to everyone who went, I'm gutted I couldn't make it due to circumstances. I would of enjoyed the experience of a cross channel trip in testing conditions like that it's why we have ribs isn't it ? Yes HP you are a fine weather rib knob and yes we do have to drag you along screaming sometimes but as Del Boy says .. He who dares Rodney.. He who dares
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 13:05   #369

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
would the Ribnet Jury have been pointing the "Why the F*** did they continue" finger? I'd think so.
I believe the Ribnet Jury is only called in cases where people are observed not wearing lifejackets or killcords on flat calm sunny days whilst at anchor in sheltered waters. Crossing the channel in a force 8, on a well planned & equipped expedition falls outside the remit of the Ribnet Jury.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 14:03   #370
Dhf

Length: no boat
Great to see you all enjoyed your experience, sounds like you've all learned and gained more confidence in your crafts and your own ability too, which is what its all about, pushing yourselfs to find your goal, all of you seem to have great knowledge and respect for the Sea which can only be gained by experiences like this.
Respect to ye all.
Looking forward to more vids BTW.
Old 14 October 2013, 14:21   #371

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
The French lady that served us was particularly helpful and forthcoming repairs made.
Was that meant to be "The French lady that served us was particularly helpful and forthcoming. Repairs made." ?

Quote:
Food was great, company was great and a fantastic evening was had by all and after went back to the hotel for more "Tipples"

Following day in the Marina the wind seemed to have eased
I know French food can be dodgy, but have you thought about charcoal biscuits?
Old 14 October 2013, 14:43   #372

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Interesting debate about the force 8 forecast.

In my opinion each skipper makes the call based on the capabilities of the boat, skipper, every member of crew / passengers, safety equipment onboard, and if boating alone or in company (out on your own is very different to cruising with a group of other experienced ribnutters).

On this trip all issues encountered seemed to have been handled perfectly well by the collective group without needing any external help, so on that basis you can say that going was absolutely the right decision for the experience and equipment level of those present.

I think the key point is to have a passage plan and to have consciously made the informed decision on whether to go or not.

I have the utmost respect for those that did this trip (I would not consider myself experienced enough for a cross channel trip in a f8).

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 15:04   #373

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I believe the Ribnet Jury is only called in cases where people are observed not wearing lifejackets or killcords on flat calm sunny days whilst at anchor in sheltered waters. Crossing the channel in a force 8, on a well planned & equipped expedition falls outside the remit of the Ribnet Jury.
You're probably right with that one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
Trust you to start a debate Well done to everyone who went, I'm gutted I couldn't make it due to circumstances. I would of enjoyed the experience of a cross channel trip in testing conditions like that it's why we have ribs isn't it ? Yes HP you are a fine weather rib knob and yes we do have to drag you along screaming sometimes but as Del Boy says .. He who dares Rodney.. He who dares
Aye, not sure about "fair weather boater" as its never been "fair" on a cruise ive organised yet!! But yes, I do er on the side of caution. Mainly due to having been caught twice in dories and know how horrible a feeling it is when you are "caught" by weather. I'd agree though, he who dares does find out though. Anglesey showed me on a few occasions what our RIB will actually push through, particularly in the overfalls by middle mouse. You keep dragging and I'll keep pushing, we'll probably find the right limits!
Old 14 October 2013, 15:52   #374

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Yeh, just get on with it and dont be dull!!

Which boat sustained the most damage and why?
Old 14 October 2013, 16:13   #375
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
I wouldn't have gone Friday, end of!

Same here regarding Friday's weather. I'd have stayed at home.

When we left, the forecast for Saturday and Sunday weren't that bad. If the forecast had changed for Sunday once we were there, my "plan B" was to either stay a few nights in Cherbourg, or just get the ferry back and go back to get the boat another day!
Old 14 October 2013, 16:35   #376
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
I recon the Friday mob are exaggerating, t'was just a bit "fresh"

Code:
Marine observational data for Channel Light vessel 11-Oct-2013

time   wind wind   wave   wave
(UTC)  dir  speed  height period
0900h  030  35kts  1.5m   6sec
1000h  040  35kts  2.0m   6sec
1100h  060  27kts  2.1m   7sec
1200h  060  24kts  2.4m   7sec
1300h  060  21kts  2.3m   7sec
1400h  030  24kts  2.1m   7sec
1500h  010  26kts  2.0m   7sec

Old 14 October 2013, 16:45   #377

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb View Post
I recon the Friday mob are exaggerating, t'was just a bit "fresh"

Code:
Marine observational data for Channel Light vessel 11-Oct-2013

time   wind wind   wave   wave
(UTC)  dir  speed  height period
0900h  030  35kts  1.5m   6sec
1000h  040  35kts  2.0m   6sec
1100h  060  27kts  2.1m   7sec
1200h  060  24kts  2.4m   7sec
1300h  060  21kts  2.3m   7sec
1400h  030  24kts  2.1m   7sec
1500h  010  26kts  2.0m   7sec

...Just a Shame you never came!
(One of the 'Friday Mob')

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 16:54   #378
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Shame you never came!
(One of the 'Friday Mob')
Just teasing. I was one of the Saturday mob and that was entertaining enough.
A doff of the Gecko to all of Maximus / Hadd / Avocet for completing the Friday passage safely.
Old 14 October 2013, 16:55   #379

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
Good advice from gtb and thanks for the very comprehensive passage plan, worked very well.

Couple of items worth mentioning;

Gecko's an absolute must for a number of reasons, they kept the spray out of our eyes and kept the head warm. They also prevented a few injuries as the RIB was thrown from one side to another with the confused seas.

With the Gecko's on it was difficult to hear the VHF or anyone on board. Therefore some sort of intercom / earpiece would be invaluable.

Gloves leaked like a sieve, good quality waterproof gloves needed - any recommendations ?

Musto BR2 jacket and salopets leaked, not badly but enough !

My Dubarry boots leaked - first time in 14 years ! Maybe time for a new pair.

Boat handled the weather without a fault. However the Garmin chartplotter began to play up due to all the water on the screen. Locking the screen helped but not ideal.
Dry suit Looey n Divers gloves dubbin if its minus
Old 14 October 2013, 16:56   #380

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Read the debate about go or not, there were some pretty hard core boaters among the group that went, and I know of one with huge amount of open sea miles under his belt, I'm sure that if the weather was dangerous he would have made the call, not taking a good trip away from these guys but you're only 35 miles from land at the most during the whole trip, mind you once you're over there you got to get you're boat back sooner or later