Old 20 January 2004, 08:42   #1

Town: Falkirk
Boat name: a boat
Make: Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Force 40hp o/b
NEB Crew - Easter

Possible meet at easter - Marky M is bringing his new tub up for her maiden voyage - depends on weather whether its at NEB or Loch Lomond.

I believe the Red Fox has a week booked - what dates Mark? Do you know if anyone else will be on the site?

If we come down I think it'll be a hotel somewhere close (Portlogan?) - too far to tow two outfits just for a few days - Marky M & missus will be in same situation. This idea is also approved by the better half - we can play silly buggers in the waves while she goes shopping, and someone else does the cooking!

Bill S
Old 28 February 2004, 15:06   #2

Town: Shieldhill
Boat name: Concorde
Make: Southern Pacific 4.5
Engine: 60 Mercury Big Foot
NEB

Waxed up ready to go to either NEB or Lomond, weather depending, will fire her up for the first time next week !!

Got to keep the ladies happy, i'm game for camping but......it does get damn chilly at easter time, no fun puttin on damp wet suits !!
Old 28 February 2004, 19:23   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
What, where is NEB?
Old 29 February 2004, 18:49   #4

New England Bay near Drummore Dumfires and Galloway, excellent boating and fishing next to a caravan site, well sheltered.
Old 29 February 2004, 19:30   #5

Ta.

Bill, does the Isle of May in a rib mean anything to you?
Old 01 March 2004, 10:18   #6

Isle of May

JW,

Never had a rib out on the east coast - had a cruise over that way on a friend's rag & stick boat ages ago - but Bass Rock area does look interesting!

Being a weegie born & bred, its foreign to me to think of anything other than the west coast for messing about in boats - even though I now live in Falkirk, and the east coast is actually closer.

Hopefully will get a bit more use out of the rib this year, so ideas for destinations are always welcome - although with her only being a little'un, weather and sea state will play a big part in outings.
Old 01 March 2004, 10:34   #7

Just checking. I went out there many years ago with a guy whose name was Bill. Completely lost track of him now but he used to go to Loch Lomond side in a caravan and he was from the West Lothian or Falkirk area.
Old 01 March 2004, 11:09   #8

Sorry JW, - different guy - one common denominator - the 'many years' bit!
Old 24 March 2004, 21:21   #9

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
5-10 April are the dates we will be there. Sorry Bill, didn't spot your message! Cant wait, taking the van up on Friday...Hols begin!!...I can almost smell the sea air...shivers down the backbone!
Hope to see you there.
Old 24 March 2004, 21:32   #10

It was a hot week last year xr770a if you remember so camping could be the way...I'll be tucked up in the van though with a heater to keep me warm!...OK...fancy calling Julia a heater!
Old 26 March 2004, 15:25   #11

Well. we hope to be there ( NEB- Lomond) weather depending on the Thursday ( 8-04-04 ) Hopefully NEB. We will bring tents along just in case or find refuge accordingly. Boat fired up no probs, what a noise, running on just a hose connection........sorry now too excited again..........cannot wait. See you soon ( Weather dependent )
Old 29 March 2004, 09:33   #12

Marky - Down boy, down! - We will see how excited you are when you take your first header into the drink - and I don't mean the G & T.

Just threw a coupla loads of boots & gloves & wetsuits thru the washing machine - so at least I'll smell pretty when you squeeze up close!

Will be taking boat down off stands this week, and final checks will be performed then - lookin' good to go tho!

Red Fox - If the weather is at all reasonable, we will be there, so make sure there's plenty of ice for the cocktails.

Right then, where did I put those lifejackets?????

C'ya soon..........
Old 29 March 2004, 09:43   #13

Hi Bill, good to hear from you. NEB has new wardens...we will have to get them trained up to our ways. I hear the main man introduced himself to all those waiting to get on site as MR....after everyone had introduced themselves by first names!
Sea was flat calm on Saturday...Scares stood out well. Going back in a week. Hope to see you.
Old 31 March 2004, 10:23   #14

New Wardens

Well I certainly won't be able to antagonise 'em with flashing amber lights atop the Defender again - thats been sold, so I'm stuck with the ole Passat for now. Must remember to behave when on the loo block run after a few large ones - specially last one at night! Note to self - watch out for guy ropes!

All depends on weather - the missus has let it be known that she wants to be warm - so it could well be a hotel somewhere close, and I'm OK with that too - means someone else cooks too!

Looking forward to seeing both your new tubs in action.

Bye for now...
Old 31 March 2004, 12:19   #15
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
DANGER ZONE

Just looking where NEB is on Multimap.co.uk - and the whole of Luce Bay appears as a Danger Zone.

Any idea why it's dangerous, and is that the bit you go out in?!?

Dylan...
Old 31 March 2004, 21:38   #16

It's a danger zone because there is a bombing run out in the bay that the RAF use. We have seen tornados using rockets to hit bright orange target barges...my rib has bright orange tubes so when the RAF rib comes round and asks you not to go out any further cos they are rocketing...you listen and you don't! In fact I come in just incase one of those top-guns locks on to the wrong orange thing in the bay! Seriously though it is a sight to see. It doesnt happen often but when it does you know about it. Also they tried cluster bombs once and realised that they don't go off when they hit water so there are a number of them on the bottom unexploded. That makes fishing interesting! Feathering with a big lead on could catch you more than you bargained for...BOOM...and the whole shoal would float belly up! There are buoys that mark where the ordnance lies, though the whole area has the stuff scattered as it has been used as a firing range since the war. The bay was used last year for the biggest multi-national amphibious landing exercise in the world involving many ships and a submarine. So it makes life interesting...along with basking sharks and turtles have been known to pull up there and a pod of killer whales (two years back). So you see why it is a danger zone...not to mention the NEB rib set...some of them are dangerous, especially when she's mad!
Old 01 April 2004, 08:34   #17

Danger Zone

Just wait till I get in the helsman's seat on Marky's new tub - the guys at Multimap have obviously heard about this and decided to warn the rest of the world in advance! Tubers beware - you are going in the water - no if's or but's!

The most dangerous thing about the bay is when you have been enjoying yourself out there and forget what time you promised to take the missus out wining & dining - very very dangerous!

Seriously tho, Red Fox is right - its a military exercise area at times, and although few & far between, its free entertainment when it happens - where else are you gonna watch paratroops in full frogman outfits baling out the back of a Hercules? The rest of the time, its just fun in the sun (or rain - its still Scotland remember).
Old 02 April 2004, 14:35   #18

Re: Danger Zone

Guys, you have about 1 hour till i'm run in, Red Fox do you fancy a ride in my biscuit !!......I have a new toy this year......should be fun and DANGEROUS !! Cannot wait, will see you Thursday lunchtime ( approx). Here we go etc etc !........
Old 04 April 2004, 16:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr770a
Guys, you have about 1 hour till i'm run in,
You havn't been playing in the bath have you?
How come only one hour left? Mind you Bill, its better to be infront of him for one hour than not be infront at all. At least we will be able to play in his wake once his time is up!
Old 04 April 2004, 18:49   #20

Playing with a hose connection !! Cannot wait to see you all, weather looks good, keep fingers crossed.... Bill has Joan talking to the man in charge, so it should be nice..........are you playing or fishing..see you soon.......