Old 10 June 2013, 14:15   #61

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I always do a radio check every day I am out boating. I try to use the marina or harbour I am leaving for a radio check, and always ask if my transmission is "clear and readable", but if that's not possible the coastguard gets my call on ch16 (or ch67 in the solent). To be honest it's quite rare that I cannot use a marina, harbour master or other vessel for my radio check so the coastguard rarely gets the call.

I need to know that the ships radio (and my handheld) are transmitting clearly just in case of emergency. Everyone should be encouraged to regularly check their VHF's are transmitting clearly.

I have never received a complaint from anyone (coastguard included) about me asking them for a radio check. If you do call Solent CG on ch16 in the busy summer season for a radio check they will firmly but politely say "in future use ch67 for routine traffic".
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 15:19   #62

Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Don't get me wrong am very grateful that the CG is there, but what I am detecting from the las part of your your post is ' i'm kinda official and we don't want it to happen!' Are you saying the Coastguard don't want to hear Radiochecks, cos they are going to be hearing mine on 67 until it becomes Illegal. and fkk em if they don't like it as I'd rather they were inconvenienced than I was 20 miles out, in trouble, and my radio only worked for a short range.
No thats not what they're saying. They are quite happy to carry out radio checks. However Solent CG are requesting that they are carried out on 67 in the Solent CG area to reduce the work load on 16 and to give urgent calls a priority.

Solent CG receive 40% of the UK's VHF radio traffic and therefore even with 20 staff on duty would struggle to cope on a Bank Holiday in August with only one channel. All they are asking is for radio checks to be carried out on 67 and leave 16 for distress and calling. Alternatively as mentioned use another station nearby i.e. QHM, VTS or a marina.

Calling other stations is good practice and builds on radio experience which builds confidence in radio usage.
Old 10 June 2013, 15:21   #63

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think its fair to say Solent CG don't object to a radio check - they just ask for them to be done with some common sense. Ch67 as routine and without over speaking any other more 'important' calls - and if calling then say in the inital transmission its a check your after - otherwise you get the ' if routine call on 67 reply'.

ie .Solent CG x3 this is blah blah blah for a radio check please over ......

they reply ( assuming they hear you )

you reply ( assuming you hear them ! ) - Solent CG , rib Blah...thankyou have a good day. OUT
Old 10 June 2013, 16:25   #64
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
No thats not what they're saying. They are quite happy to carry out radio checks. However Solent CG are requesting that they are carried out on 67 in the Solent CG area to reduce the work load on 16 and to give urgent calls a priority.
The other thing they requested was that people listen first and make sure that they're not requesting a radio check in the middle of something more urgent.
Old 10 June 2013, 16:40   #65
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gennaro View Post
I finished that course pretty sure of the process for radio checks but now it's as clear as mud if Solent isn't the nearest CG, mine would be London or Dover.

The instructor was from Portsmouth so that would explain his interpretation as the Solent is his local area, but surely there should be a consistent approach whoever is teaching the course. His opinion is if it's not urgent keep 16 clear, which seemed logical.
Gennaro - unfortunately VHF instructors are variable in quality, and one who is local to the solent may well forget there is a world beyond. Certainly in my course in Scotland it was clear. Normal process was call on 16, but solent was 67 unless urgent.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong am very grateful that the CG is there, but what I am detecting from the las part of your your post is ' i'm kinda official and we don't want it to happen!' Are you saying the Coastguard don't want to hear Radiochecks, cos they are going to be hearing mine on 67 until it becomes Illegal. and fkk em if they don't like it as I'd rather they were inconvenienced than I was 20 miles out, in trouble, and my radio only worked for a short range.
Stu - take a chill pill - I think its quite clear that PolarBear is not speaking officially for the MCA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Say hello from me - I worked there as a deputy watch manager and SMC a couple of years ago...
What would probably be more constructive is if people called in their "passage plan" rather than just radio check?
Old 10 June 2013, 23:05   #66

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly;544654.

Stu - take a chill pill - I think its quite clear that PolarBear is not speaking officially for the MCA:

No chill pill needed, I was seeking confirmation from polar bear. I obviously realise that polar bear was speaking unofficially but I'm not sure those ever so easily led 10 newbies did.

Nobody is ever going to dissuade me as a ribber from making a CG radio check as it's part of my safety routine and I do hope its a good influence on the newbs

if I'm driving a Tug or workboat I don't bother as I have already spoken by radio to the VTS to get permission to leave /enter port .

I hold the Coastguard in the highest regard for what it's worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly;544654.

What would probably be more constructive is if people called in their "passage plan" rather than just radio check?

Good idea wish I was bright enough to think of that what do you think of the YOPS idea ?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 23:53   #67
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Good idea wish I was bright enough to think of that what do you think of the YOPS idea ?
Is that what they call YTS these days?

My answer would probably get political, but it could work, though I'm guessing if they had time to show those reprobates round on a sunny weekend its not quite breaking point!
Old 11 June 2013, 00:15   #68

Length: 10m +
You lot know the score...

. HMCG welcome radio checks for many reasons. Not least of which is an officers ability to plan a search based on one radio check if he has to.

. Radio checks are unnecessary on Ch16 if working frequencies are monitored. Furthermore, excessive traffic on Ch16 is a serious hazard to us all, hence the importance to properly police this frequency IF required.

. Radio check results (signal strength and readability) should be thoughtfully assessed by the requesting station. A response is not absolute success. Which radio site was I received on, and how might my result change as I proceed 20 miles off?

. My official voice has not been used since the MCA stopped paying my mortgage nearly 3 years ago, but alas, the song remains the same, its just harder to sing right in txt spk... Sorry if I made my comments ambiguous...

. On the subject of passage plans - if you are filing one, then yep - you are likely to get a free radio check during that exchange. Just dont forget - the CG does not monitor ETAs - your shore contact must raise the alarm if you become overdue!!

Matt.
Old 11 June 2013, 06:27   #69

Quote:
Call me old fashioned but I really thought it would be better that 10 newbies were encouraged to play safely than not bother doing Coast Guard radio checks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
No chill pill needed, I was seeking confirmation from polar bear. I obviously realise that polar bear was speaking unofficially but I'm not sure those ever so easily led 10 newbies did.
I let it go the first time but perhaps you could clarify who are the 10 newbies you are talking about ?
Old 11 June 2013, 08:01   #70

Quote:
I let it go the first time but perhaps you could clarify who are the 10 newbies you are talking about ?

I haven't got a Scooby doo who they but they are the ones mentioned in PolarBear's post. this his actual post and it's him that mentioned them I was reacting to what I saw as a criticism of good practice by an ex official of the Coast Guard. I have emboldened the relevant passages that caused me most concern, although to be honest nothing in the post really turned me on I much prefer the message in his later reply

Oh and by the way - all MRCCs monitor 67 and use it as the primary working frequency. Solent is unique in that there is an extreme concentration of pleasure craft users and "sunday boaters"... My years at Humber, we did very few radio checks. Commercial vessels, fishing vessels and the offshore industry don't do radio checks with the coastguard, but they are hugely popular in the solent. I believe it is self perpetuating. There are lots of beginner boaters on the water in the solent, and I suppose they hear others doing radio checks with solent, and assume they should do the same themselves. I never minded issuing radio checks tbh, as for the most part they are simple to respond to, and it is good that people have the confidence to call up - but perhaps it is worth remembering the alternatives, and ask yourself why you are calling. One call from you might encourage 10 newbies to do the same... For some reason nobody ever calls southampton VTS for a radio check
Old 11 June 2013, 08:07   #71

Make: zodiac
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp
Quote:
I haven't got a Scooby doo who they but they are the ones mentioned in PolarBear. this his actual post and it's him that mentioned them I was reacting to what I saw as a criticism of good practice by an ex official of the Coast Guard. I have emboldened the relevant passages that caused me most concern

Oh and by the way - all MRCCs monitor 67 and use it as the primary working frequency. Solent is unique in that there is an extreme concentration of pleasure craft users and "sunday boaters"... My years at Humber, we did very few radio checks. Commercial vessels, fishing vessels and the offshore industry don't do radio checks with the coastguard, but they are hugely popular in the solent. I believe it is self perpetuating. There are lots of beginner boaters on the water in the solent, and I suppose they hear others doing radio checks with solent, and assume they should do the same themselves. I never minded issuing radio checks tbh, as for the most part they are simple to respond to, and it is good that people have the confidence to call up - but perhaps it is worth remembering the alternatives, and ask yourself why you are calling. One call from you might encourage 10 newbies to do the same... For some reason nobody ever calls southampton VTS for a radio check
Have you not misinterpreted what he is saying?? He seems to be discouraging the use of c16 in the Solent for checks.

I read into that that newbies should be looking at alternatives for carrying out radio checks other than c16 i.e c67, VTS or marinas.
Old 11 June 2013, 08:23   #72

Quote:
I haven't got a Scooby doo who they but they are the ones mentioned in PolarBear's post.
Thanks for clearing that up.....Scooby Doo ! now your showing your old age

Back to MRCC and another subject they discussed...........High line transfers

Ill start another thread on this as they are open to vessels pre arranging a high line transfer with the SAR helicopter. Each member of the SAR team carry out 48 hours of training per week and welcome requests from vessel owners / users to carry out a high line transfer with the helicopter crew. Its booked through the MRCC, request form in hand, new thread started.
Old 11 June 2013, 08:40   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennaro View Post

I read into that that newbies should be looking at alternatives for carrying out radio checks other than c16 i.e c67, VTS or marinas.
I think the radio checks with alternative stations as well as the CG is an excellent idea as it does build confidence in radio usage. It can be off putting for 'newbies' to pick up the hand set and call the CG in the Solent on a saturday with a few hundred listening to them. QHM, VTS, a marina, club or another vessel will probably have less listeners and traffic and be just as willing to respond.

I think the message is, call the CG on 16 for your radio check, preferably use 67 in the Solent area or occasionally try another station.
Old 11 June 2013, 08:58   #74

Quote:
I think the message is, call the CG on 16 for your radio check, preferably use 67 in the Solent area or occasionally try another station.
Actually PolarBear said all CGs monitor 67. So why not try the call on 67 for any CG? Then if they don't respond move to 16 and make contact.

I'm of the view passage plan should be the answer although - "Mum Dad and the Dog going for some wave jumping round the corner from Cowes" probably the reason so few are heard in the Solent. But for people with a destination I think it makes sense. However I'm now worrying about the 10 listeners who then think the CG will check they came home? Although at least they'll also hear mention og CG66 and think whats that and maybe look it up...?
Old 11 June 2013, 09:26   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Actually PolarBear said all CGs monitor 67. So why not try the call on 67 for any CG? Then if they don't respond move to 16 and make contact.
All CG's monitor 67 except Portland which uses 73 as their working channel and this is where it can get confusing. Therefore always best to call on 16 and then move to the working channel, except Solent CG who prefer you to call on 67 for routine traffic.

Quote:
Although at least they'll also hear mention og CG66 and think whats that and maybe look it up...?
Agreed CG66 is an excellent system which all vessel owners should sign up to. FOC and could pay dividends if the worst was to happen.

Link here MCA - CG66
Old 11 June 2013, 09:46   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Is that what they call YTS these days?

My answer would probably get political, but it could work, though I'm guessing if they had time to show those reprobates round on a sunny weekend its not quite breaking point!
yes it stands for youth opportunities program and its from the 1970's It was a Standing Joke that it stood for 'young orrible person'

I wasn't trying to make a poltical point I was just suggesting a solution to a problem that apparently exists
Old 11 June 2013, 10:04   #77

Quote:
I wasn't trying to make a poltical point I was just suggesting a solution to a problem that apparently exists
Don't think the issue is manpower, but that only one person can talk on a voice channel at once, plus from what I've heard a LOT of over speaking happens presumably because people only hear half the transmissions.

Quote:
All CG's monitor 67 except Portland which uses 73 as their working channel and this is where it can get confusing. Therefore always best to call on 16 and then move to the working channel, except Solent CG who prefer you to call on 67 for routine traffic.
So should the exception to the rule nto be for those punters in Portland to use 73 but everyone else to try first non urgent contact to CG on 67 in all areas then if that fails to move to 16?
When (if) Portland closes anyone know what'll happen?
Better still people should be using DSC. Still shocked at the very limitted use of DSC in the solent area. I know people have old boats with old kit etc but DSC's been the only fixed set available for at least 10 years and there is a lot of shiny white boats down there... I suspect there is an element of announcing you are out to your mates...
Old 11 June 2013, 10:12   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
You lot know the score...

. HMCG welcome radio checks for many reasons. Not least of which is an officers ability to plan a search based on one radio check if he has to.

. Radio checks are unnecessary on Ch16 if working frequencies are monitored. Furthermore, excessive traffic on Ch16 is a serious hazard to us all, hence the importance to properly police this frequency IF required.

. Radio check results (signal strength and readability) should be thoughtfully assessed by the requesting station. A response is not absolute success. Which radio site was I received on, and how might my result change as I proceed 20 miles off?

. My official voice has not been used since the MCA stopped paying my mortgage nearly 3 years ago, but alas, the song remains the same, its just harder to sing right in txt spk... Sorry if I made my comments ambiguous...

. On the subject of passage plans - if you are filing one, then yep - you are likely to get a free radio check during that exchange. Just dont forget - the CG does not monitor ETAs - your shore contact must raise the alarm if you become overdue!!

Matt.
Thank you Matt for clearing up my obfuscation and I couldn't agree with you more both about the CG and typing
Old 11 June 2013, 11:06   #79
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Default working channel up here was usually not 67 either, but things may have changed in the recent restructure.

Actually probably best to DSC call them and then they can automatically switch you to the right channel?

Quote:
yes it stands for youth opportunities program and its from the 1970's It was a Standing Joke that it stood for 'young orrible person'
Ah the predecessor to YTS.
Quote:
I'm sure there are young people who would jump at the chance to take part in the equivalent (modern apprenticeships?); I'm sure some of them would even be quite good. As Shinyshoe says though manpower is not the only limitation of the system.
Old 11 June 2013, 11:23   #80

Length: 10m +
It seems Ive perhaps caused some more confusion, as indeed Portland and one or two other stations use 73 for primary working. The only reason for this is the proximity to the Solent Aerials, and again, the large volume of traffic. The standard is 67.

Perhaps the easiest way of putting it is that all MRCCs monitor VHF/MF (where fitted) working frequencies aswell as VHF/MF DSC, and these frequencies and a wealth of other information on the station in question is provided in the Admiralty List Of Radio Signals (ALRS Vol5). This book gives mariners the answers to their questions about how to make contact with a particular radio station, and what services the station provide.
I dont really expect every small vessel on the solent to carry this book, but the information is widely available elsewhere. If you only ever use the solent, then you only have one set of procedures to learn... namely radio checks on Ch67, or Ch70 (DSC routine call), everything else on Ch16.

Passage plans can always be passed over the phone too - they will still get logged in the radio traffic log, and this keeps the general level of radio traffic down a little.