Old 08 June 2013, 15:05   #41

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Also before I forget, your position of your first emergency call is used along with weather and tide information to plot your position at the point of rescue. This is another good reason to press your DSC button as soon as possible after an incident.

To make the best possible prediction they need to know all your details e.g. the size of what needs rescuing (man over board or broken down rib) as the system calculates the distance and direction traveled......

Clever stuff ehh

We also talked about the CG66 scheme which is a way of recording your details on a system now and you are issued with a unique number, this is something that many of us have already done

For more info on CG66 click here:

MCA - CG66

Old 08 June 2013, 17:11   #42
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Also before I forget, your position of your first emergency call is used along with weather and tide information to plot your position at the point of rescue. This is another good reason to press your DSC button as soon as possible after an incident.
And here's the bit of kit that does the clever stuff.

In the drawers underneath they have half the UK's entire supply of charts, parallel rulers and pencils in case they have to resort to doing things the hard way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2170179620.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	81171  

Old 08 June 2013, 17:25   #43

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And here's the bit of kit that does the clever stuff.

In the drawers underneath they have half the UK's entire supply of charts, parallel rulers and pencils in case they have to resort to doing things the hard way!
And......

If for any reason they believe that the weather or tide info isn't correct, they can tell the lifeboat to stop propulsion and they will then track them as they drift and reapply this information in the system giving them a more accurate search pattern
Old 08 June 2013, 18:36   #44
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Something that hasn't been said yet-if you use the red button if you have to call a mayday, there WILL be people near their radio to hear the followup voice call.
They'll have to manually acknowledge the DSC alert in order to stop the alarm, which will put them onto ch16.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2013, 21:59   #45
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Thanks for the tips -- keep them coming.

Did you get a sense whether the MRCC is well-funded / has all the stuff they need / is getting by on a shoestring? Likewise, are they well staffed, or rushed off their feet? (I have no agenda, just curious)

Any comments made about mad RIB drivers wizzing around the Solent Just another set of customers? or troublemakers as the GC keep a look out for commercial traffic, etc?

I'm interested in the ops side of things.
Old 09 June 2013, 03:10   #46

A great tour, enjoyed it very much.

If you have a PLB or EPIRB then remember to register it with your info.

I thought their 12 hour shift patterns were a bit much, how can they keep up their attention for 12 hours.

On closures they were rather PC about them, looked to me they seem to have a huge area to cover, with some stations closing nationaly i wonder if they will lose any local knowledge.

A great visit
Old 09 June 2013, 03:33   #47

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb View Post
Thanks for the tips -- keep them coming.

Did you get a sense whether the MRCC is well-funded / has all the stuff they need / is getting by on a shoestring? Likewise, are they well staffed, or rushed off their feet? (I have no agenda, just curious)

Any comments made about mad RIB drivers wizzing around the Solent Just another set of customers? or troublemakers as the GC keep a look out for commercial traffic, etc?

I'm interested in the ops side of things.
Appeared to be well funded and very professional.

After all the negative issues in this Country with cut backs, immigration and benefit cheats, it's reassuring that something's seem to be done right with the tax we pay. I would certainly feel confident in the CG and the other agencies working with them if I had to call them out. Their equipment and professionalism seemed first rate

The tour was very impressive and the equipment and software seemed well thought out. The tidal and wind data along with drift coefficients of a huge number of different 'things' in the water can be used to build a search pattern. A person with a life jacket has a different drift coefficient to a person with a buoyancy aid and again different to a person unconscious etc so the drift rate with wind effect can be calculated. The data base is huge and covers all types of craft, floating, sinking, submerged etc, very clever.
Old 09 June 2013, 05:16   #48

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel
With regards the CG station closures, having had it properly explained it does seem to make more sense than what I thought was going to happened originally. In a nutshell:

-3 stations have closed
-The rest will be remain open apart from Portland, although it is subject to review (they are very keen for it to remain open)
-The idea behind the national CG station is that if any of the other stations become too busy, VHF traffic/phone calls etc can be handed over to the national centre. Under normal conditions, local traffic will be handled by the local CG station.

I agree regarding local knowledge, but if it's simply a case of dealing with routine calls eg radio checks etc then it will greatly help to spread the load. Likewise, the software they have is so clever a lot of emergency calls could probably dealt with miles away perfectly safely. On a similar note, he mentioned that the new Atlantic 85s are fitted with cameras which can be linked directly up to the control room so they can see what's going on. Very clever! As technology advances surely logic dictates that the operation can be downsized. For example, when the CG was first set up, each station had to be within 2 hours walk of the next one so that communication could take place relatively easily. Guess they didn't have live video links back then....
Old 09 June 2013, 05:22   #49
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
A great tour, enjoyed it very much.

I thought their 12 hour shift patterns were a bit much, how can they keep up their attention for 12 hours.

A great visit
I would hazard a guess that the shifts of twelve hrs were voted for so they get more time off, they are a government agency and unless they sign off working time regs they have to comply with the number of hrs worked in a given period. So 12hrs at a time may actually be beneficial to staff time off and family life. Loads of government teams opt for longer hrs and then more time off
Old 09 June 2013, 05:24   #50

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel
If I recall he said they do 2x 12 hour (0800 - 2000) days shifts. 2 days off. Then 2x 12 hour night shifts, followed by 4 days off.