Old 02 March 2012, 10:37   #21

Town: Wick Highland
Boat name: Dirty Cow
Make: Osprey Viper 525
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP
Ah another point, FUEL! there are limited fuel stations in the smaller villages up north, nothing in Golspie, Brora has fuel but the harbour runs dry at low tide, next one from there is Wick and then nothing round to scrabster which would be a taxi drive away, Jeez! never realise that would cause such a problem!!!
Old 02 March 2012, 12:44   #22

Sandend!! North Coast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Just mind this bit on the north side though

The few small harbours are nice and a step back in time in some ways.

When I mentioned Sandend, or 'sanine' as the locals say it .. lovely big beach.. there are quite a lot of holiday lets down at the harbour and so you could be close to your kit although the beach in the harbour is stoney IIRC.. and theres some trouble afoot these days

Village blackout sparks crimewave | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

mind you 3 incidents a year is a crimewave in Sandend I shouldnt laugh

I was assuming you meant the Sandend on the "Real" North Coast! near Dounreay, admittedly the one you're on about is a north facing coast but there is a hell of a lot of mainland coast line North of that point! sorry Bigmuz but I get a bit defensive when people try to forget about the real North of Scotland.
Old 02 March 2012, 20:03   #23

Town: Newcastleton
Boat name: GLENNA
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I used to launch at Rosehearty. Local kids are like something out of Oliver Twist - with an accent that takes a bit of getting used to! Little bu**ers jump off the breakwater in the summer and were playing on the slipway when I was launching (as you do!) Tight slipway and the harbour dries out, but good place to start from. There's also a decent carpark. Rosehearty falls under Aberdeenshire Council - so you can pay £60 for annual membership to launch or £15 to launch and recover. Great stretch of coast, especially gannet colony on cliffs at Troup Head. Gardenstown is a great harbour for lunch, sheltered, etc. There's also the SS Fram wreck, etc. Give me a shout if you want to cruise in company next spring.
If you go just south of Wick There is a small place called Latheron Wheel, the harbour is secluded with a good slip. There is a good parking area and best of all there are no fees to pay. I have been there twice with the motorhome and plan on going again this year and taking our Avon SR4 so that we can do some wildlife filming. Good pubs, cafe and chippy right by the harbour at Wick.
Old 02 March 2012, 20:48   #24

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrmacleod View Post
I was assuming you meant the Sandend on the "Real" North Coast! near Dounreay, admittedly the one you're on about is a north facing coast but there is a hell of a lot of mainland coast line North of that point! sorry Bigmuz but I get a bit defensive when people try to forget about the real North of Scotland.
You tell him mate But it will only drive him to drink, malt of course
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2012, 21:42   #25

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrmacleod View Post
I have had the RIB allong to Cape Wrath, off Kyle of Tongue and all tghe way up as far as North Ronaldsay, the "real North" is already no stranger to me.........
Old 03 March 2012, 05:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
You tell him mate But it will only drive him to drink, malt of course
Aye Wicks local malt "Old Poultney" was recently voted he best malt whiskey in the world, well worth a visit just for that
obviously I'd discourage drinking and boating