Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 September 2010, 14:31   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
Mont St. Michel & Avranches estuary

I'll be going to Mont St. Michel again this Saturday (11th) if anyone wants to come along. I may stay overnight but will probably come back in the evening. I will also be doing a quick recce of the river Sée estaury on Friday (10th; returning on same tide with quick stop-off at Mont St. Michel). Again, all are welcome.

As a 'heads up' and weather permitting, I will be going to Mont St. Michel on Christmas Day. I may stay for a church service but more nearer the time.
__________________

__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2010, 15:15   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
It was decidedly choppy off Grosnez this evening so I think I will delay tomorrow's venture into the Sée estuary until Saturday morning when, weather permitting, I will also go to MSM. It looks likely that I will stay the day there and make a night sailing back to Jersey.
__________________

__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 05:23   #3
Member
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,853
What are your intended departure times? Shame the weather's still looking a bit lumpy.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 11:15   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
Hi Erin,
clearly the weather's too rough for tomorrow but Sunday's looking better (West, F3-4). If I go Sunday morning I'll probably leave at 07:30 or there abouts. This will enable me to arrive at MStM 40min before HW so I can have an hour ashore.
__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 11:52   #5
Member
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,853
That's a pity. We're flying out on Sunday to the boatshow, and although I guess it would be feasible to do a morning visit, I'd be a bit nervous of getting stuck there for the day and missing our evening flights.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 11:53   #6
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
saturdays fairly doubtful for me anyway, sunday suits better. Staying for a full tide would be nice but a bumpy trip back after dark is not so appealing.
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 14:40   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
Is anyone still interested in going tomorrow? High water at MStM would be 09:30, so if we left at 07:30 that would give us and hour and a half to get there (at 30kts) and about an hour ashore. I refuelled this evening and went for a spin around the bay. It's a bit swelly out there but not too rough.
__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 15:07   #8
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
Dammit that's what I didn't do today, though I've probably got more than enough fuel already. But they're saying F5 at times tomorrow, doesn't sound all that pleasant?
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 15:26   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
I've come back from MStM in a F4/5 on more than one occasion; it can be pretty rough, especially from Chausey northwards. If we leave it this time the next opportunity will be Saturday 25 September with a 35ft tide at 08:00. This would require us to set out about an hour before sunrise. I wonder if Erin will still have his boat in the water then?
__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 16:22   #10
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
I've just been down to the boat (strange feeling walking UP the ramp to the pontoon. I've got enough fuel for 110 nm with a safety margin, not as much as I would like but more than enough to get there and back. Not sure when the fuel pontoon opens, I'd get a bit more if I could.

Are you going to attempt it tomorrow then? If I can drag myself out of bed I'll be there. Send me a text or call me in the morning if you decide to abort at any point.
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 16:49   #11
Member
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,853
Oh, oh so tempting. Would really like to go, but sensibility says no. Can't afford to get stuck there for the day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
I wonder if Erin will still have his boat in the water then?
Yep, certainly will. The two weeks grace on my insurance gives me 'til mid October.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 16:52   #12
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
Go on - what could possibly go wrong??
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 17:05   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
Erin: I can more or less guarentee you won't get stuck at Mont St. Michel; I'm fairly familiar with the place now; you could always go with Matt I suppose. I'll be down La Collette at 07:00 and I'll have a look at the weather then if anyone wants to join me. We could always turn back if it's too rough south of Jersey.
__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 17:12   #14
Member
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,853
There's a very very very slim chance I may come down and cadge a lift on Martini, but my reading of the weather and my enthusiasm may have been affected by the beer goggles I'm wearing this evening

Please don't anyone wait for me if I don't turn up.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 17:38   #15
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
More than welcome to jump on, but I agree best case scenario is it's not going be a very nice day, we'll see!

edit: just checked weather again - 17 knots around 10am, not looking good tbh
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 00:14   #16
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
Not much improvement in the forecast, it's still saying F5 and I can see big black clouds racing along outside so think I'll leave it again for a nicer day!
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 03:50   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Not much improvement in the forecast, it's still saying F5 and I can see big black clouds racing along outside so think I'll leave it again for a nicer day!
I was down at 07:00 and it wasn't too bad; we could have certainly got there ok but it would have been rough coming back; I'd say it's at least F5 now. By the way Matt, your bilge pump was on this morning.
__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 04:12   #18
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
I wasn't sure if my decision was influenced by my nice warm bed! Sounds like it was the right one though.

Did the pump just kick in once after you stepped on board or is it more than that? I was out the other night and noticed it was on a couple of times, starting to wonder if I'm taking on water from somewhere
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 04:54   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
It only came on once and discharged about a gallon I'd say, not too much. I can't remember if I was aboard your boat at the time or not; I may have been come to think of it.
__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 05:24   #20
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
Ok thanks, doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary. It's one of those pumps thats switches on every couple of minutes and senses whether theres anything to pump. If you step aboard the stern some bilge water can run down to the pump and 2 minutes later it'll pump out.
__________________

__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×