Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Millport Illuminations (Firework display) 27th Sept 08

Hi all,

We are planning what used to be our end of season trip before we got decent waterproofs and an all weather type boat lol.

After enjoying the company of others on Bruce’s trip we hope that others may join us for part or all of the trip.

Leave Largs Yacht Haven at 1.00 pm

Kyles of Bute stop for a coffee at Tighnabruaich

Round to Tarbert for a bite to eat / stretch the legs – fuel now available at Portavadie – will phone to confirm later in the week.

Portavadie to Millport – either back down the Kyles or around Arran depending on weather

Millport Illuminations at dusk (8.30pm / 9.30pm ??)

Back to Largs Yacht Haven around 10.00pm ???

Great family day, with the chance to go out at night in the company of others

As allways navigation, safety etc. responsibility of each boats crew / skipper

http://www.waverleyandbalmoral.co.uk...port/index.htm

M.V. Balmoral at Millport illuminations

http://www.largsandmillportnews.com/articles/1/24062/

Waverly confirmed – nice to See her back on this run

http://xcweather.co.uk/

Weather

http://www.yachthavens.com/

Tides

Fuel £100
Fire works £000’s
Watching the drunks missing the Waverly ……….priceless lol

Looking forward to maybe meeting you all again

Kim, Susan & Weins
Old 21 September 2008, 16:39   #2

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
We were originally thinking of going out to Eigg Sep weekend but may come along here instead.
When do you intend to be in Tarbert? We would in all likelihood launch there or a little bit further south at the Lochranza ferry slip, spend the day around Arran and go to Millport later in the day then back past garroch head to get home.
Tarbert/Claoniag is around a half hours less towing and a better slip to launch for us.
Old 21 September 2008, 17:40   #3
K&S

Hi, Bruce

If we say arrival at Tarbert at 4.00pm that should give us all enought time for stops and delays.

Leave Tarbert by 6.00pm gives us ample time to make our way to Millport.

If you decide to recover from Holy Loch we could give you a hand after securing our boat at Holy Loch Marina
Old 21 September 2008, 18:25   #4

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Old 21 September 2008, 18:31   #5

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
We all enjoyed the clyde run,well done Bruce.

We be there on this one as well. Largs Has two fireworks displays of note; one is the burning of the Viking long boat (we've missed that one) and the other is obviously bonfire night, a lot of boats (all types) drop anchor, in the bay next to the marina and watch the show very social/with a nautical theme "prepare to repell borders"!! and other stuff. always good if it's not raining. If you've got an anchor and a Rib it's a good end to the day.
Old 21 September 2008, 19:34   #6

Still thinking on this one, the original plan for some time was to go out to Eigg this weekend and go for dinner at the Old Forge in Knoydart.
Now wondering on whether we shold go to Millport and even then thinking of mooroing and staying overnight with the outlaws on the island.
Or... going back to Tarbert round garroch head in the dark, would be a nice run across in good weather.
I also quite fancy a run over to Arran which is pushing me towards Tarbert rather than Dunoon as a launch point.
Still thinking on where to go and I suspect weather will be the main factor here. Looking not bad at this point though for the rest of the week, will be interested to see what happens later on near the weekend.
Keep us posted on the plan and I'll let you know for sure where we are going early in the week............
Old 21 September 2008, 19:50   #7

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I'm thinking about this one too, my problem is a possible night run back to Inverkip, no probs if youve done it, but I havn't, boat is tooled up though, and I cant imagine it being that different, given my experience and my gear, so a buddy would be good, otherwise I dont think it would be a wise move for me... just being super cautious

Just come back from the Tarbert music festival tonight BTW .. excellent weekend , the weather was kind to us, and I'm pretty sure Tarbert has never seen as many yachts ... rafted 7 deep in places lovely weekend though
Old 21 September 2008, 20:37   #8
K&S

Hi all,

Bruce we are deliberatly leaving the plan very loose for our trip up to Tarbet to allow for stops, picture taking and coffees so cant be any more precise regarding time etc.
We had a super run up passed Garroch Head with the Grocer not so long ago but understand the weather implications especially if doing the run solo, navigating that area in complete darkness if the GPS should fail could be testing.

Totally understand your dilema the scenery on our trip is not quite the same as your planned trip, the thought of staying with "our outlaws" would be enough to put me off

Bigmuz totally understand yours and probably others worries about travelling at night I dont want this to sound big headed in any way but I am an advanced power boat instructor and I am familiar with these waters. I am quite happy to do a skippers brief in Millport and then guide people back to Largs Yacht Haven, Kip Marina and Holy Loch Marina (if needed). There may be others joining us equally able to navigate at night, safety is in numbers and all that jazz, less than 3 should never be etc etc.

Ok people no excuses lets be having you......
Old 21 September 2008, 20:37   #9

There is little to hit once you get out of the harbour and round the corner at Millport except the channel bouys ( and I know folk that have hit them at night )
I wouldn't worry about it, part of the reason I am thinking of coming is the night run back across to tarbert.
We used to take out the boat and go diving at night regularly, in fact the missus is pushing for a night dive on the local wreck called the Breda as there are lots more fish around at night and they tend to follow the torches..........
The only proviso I would say is that night passages are not fun when its rough and overcast and raining as its hard to see whats coming but on a nice calm night with the moon out its really nice
Go for it!
Old 21 September 2008, 20:56   #10

GPS failure doesn't really worry me too much, we used to do this sort of thing at night when diving
well before GPS was affordable.
The lights and nav aids are all still there to be seen on a clear night. I think the one bad thing about electronic aids is the reliance some folk have on them.
It would take someone taking out all the satellites and a peasouper to come down before I got overly worried and even then we have an echosounder.
I admit I have never tried navigating by sounder but in theory with a chart is is possible, if slow!
Old 21 September 2008, 21:06   #11
K&S

Hi, Bruce in no way questioning your ability to navigate.
Old 21 September 2008, 21:07   #12

Thanks for your encoragement K&S .. I appreciate that I cant imagine how many sea hours I've had since I was born, but like laying a carpet ,.. I like to watch & learn from someone else who knows how it should be done on a particular task, before trying it myself .. despite my experience ...*edit* I should say I could rebuild a gearbox or rewire your house but I cant lay carpets

Contact with my floating hotel suggests they will be in Tarbert .. again on that night, and not Inverkip .... so..... Bruce, you still heading back ?
Old 21 September 2008, 21:21   #13
K&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I admit I have never tried navigating by sounder but in theory with a chart is is possible, if slow!
As a point of interest. Go do your advanced power boat course at Cumbrae and all you get is a chart and may have to find underwater features at night...... thank god thats behind me lol
Old 21 September 2008, 21:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&S View Post
Hi, Bruce in no way questioning your ability to navigate.
It wasn't meant that way, really what I was trying to get across was that electronics aids are not essential but extremely useful, especially when conditions are bad. Some of us are old enough to remember when most people couldn't afford them I still remember being one of the first folk in my dive club to buy a magic box (handheld) when the price dropped from around £750 to a couple of hundred. Instead of hours trawling for wrecks we could find it in minutes (they weren't quite as accurate as now, we still had SA, but they got you close..........) As an engineer I am fascinated by all the toys that are out there and are now affordable, just a big kid at heart I reckon even if I do recognise that they aren't all essential. Don't tell the wife though, she thinks all those expensive boxes that go ping and bleep are necessary to make the boat go!
Generally on a clear night somewhere like the Clyde there are plenty of lights, both nav and otherwise, to be pretty sure of where you are.
I did both the advanced and the instructors course many moons ago too, I just look like I don't know what I am doing.......
I reckon if I come it will be a day trip going back at night. I am still looking at Eigg but the company would be nice.
Are you intending to raft up and anchor in a group?
Old 21 September 2008, 21:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&S View Post
As a point of interest. Go do your advanced power boat course at Cumbrae and all you get is a chart and may have to find underwater features at night...... thank god thats behind me lol
I did, and did! A long time ago!
I remember the night nav exercise as good fun!
Old 21 September 2008, 21:37   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Thanks for your encoragement K&S .. I appreciate that I cant imagine how many sea hours I've had since I was born, but like laying a carpet ,.. I like to watch & learn from someone else who knows how it should be done on a particular task, before trying it myself .. despite my experience ...*edit* I should say I could rebuild a gearbox or rewire your house but I cant lay carpets

Contact with my floating hotel suggests they will be in Tarbert .. again on that night, and not Inverkip .... so..... Bruce, you still heading back ?
I can lay a carpet, rewire your house and build your gearbox but when it comes to plastering and the like I just don't have the knack despite trying hard!
Are you intending to leave from tarbert or just go there Sat night?
If we come it will more than likely be a day trip going back Saturday.
Old 21 September 2008, 21:46   #17
K&S

Quote:
Are you intending to raft up and anchor in a group?
Good question, the last time we did this trip we rafted up against a fishing boat against the pier. It would be good to be able to do that again if we could as there is a really good atmosphere onshore. I guess we will be there in plenty of time to secure moorings against the pier in a raft.
Old 21 September 2008, 21:50   #18

Quote:
Are you intending to leave from tarbert or just go there Sat night?
If we come it will more than likely be a day trip going back Saturday.
Yep thats my plan .. end up back at Tarbert Saturday Pm , Cos I got a bed that night in Tarbert
Old 21 September 2008, 21:59   #19
K&S

Quote:
I can lay a carpet, rewire your house and build your gearbox but when it comes to plastering and the like I just don't have the knack despite trying hard!
I can't paint according to the boss, but anything that floats.... except a plasterers float
Old 23 September 2008, 22:30   #20

Well.. I'll pass on this one then .. as I dont fancy heading up that far without a buddy at night... Tarbert is host to the Final muster of the Clyde Cruising Club this year ....so I have a bed there with me cloth powered ones .. but another time maybe