Old 16 March 2003, 10:27   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Milford Haven

I have been to Milford Haven before and used Neyland Marina.
Can anybody recommend anywhere nearer the entrance to the Haven for overnight mooring, diesel refueling and local B&B availability please?
Old 16 March 2003, 13:05   #2

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Milford Marina is further downriver from Neyland, and has pretty well everything what you need inc a diesel berth. Being right in the middle of town, there are plenty of B&B's around as well.

When we've had people stay over at work before now from away, they've stayed in the Bel Haven Hotel - http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/a8089.html
None of them have had any problems there as far as I know, but I'll ask around at work tomorrow and check anyway.

The only snag with Milford is the Lock, but when we move into Summer time, there is more access to the Marina since there are more lockings, timetabled at http://mattei.milford-docks.co.uk/ftp/locktimes/
Info on the Marina can be found at http://www.milford-docks.co.uk/marina/ but ignore the rates, since I haven't updated them yet (hopefully doing that in the next week or so).

If you need any more info, let me know, and I can find out for you easy enough

-Alex
Old 16 March 2003, 14:34   #3
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Alex,

Priceless info, thank you kindly-just what I needed.
You are a gentleman and a scholar sir.
Old 17 March 2003, 12:10   #4

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Brian

When you going to Milford Haven, we should be there over Easter, assuming the RIB turns up.

We are going into Neyland, as its only 10 min further than Milforh Haven Marina and its all states of tide.

Regards Gary
Old 17 March 2003, 17:49   #5

Yeah, either way, let me know when you're about....

I'll probably be out and about on the water over the Easter period - I'm pretty sure Neyland Yacht Club has some events on over one of the weekends which I may be tied up in, otherwise I'd be glad to meet up with either of you out round the islands or something for the trip back up river

Hopefully my engine will be nicely run in by then too

-Alex
Old 08 April 2003, 08:10   #6

Hi folks

Alex

Have been given a "final" delivery date of this Monday, 14th April(And it better turn up this time ), going in at Pembroke dock. Hobbs Point and staying at Neyland for 8 days.

Plan a trip out round the islands, Ramsey, maybe a trip round to Tenby & Caldey etc or anywhere else you know of being local some time during the stay if your interested, will be quite slow as I wont have many engine hours on but you or anyone else is welcome.

Not set a date yet but if you or anyone else is interested we can plan somthing.

Regards Gary
Old 08 April 2003, 08:56   #7
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Alex, et al.

The reason for my asking was as part of the planning process for our trip round the UK and The Great Orkneys Expedition scheduled for August.
I will post our exact departure date from Torquay and arrival time at Milford, a week or so before we depart, and obviously hope to be able to meet with you then.
My boat Cyanide will be accompanied by Mike and Di Garside and their big cabin rib, Magellan Alpha.

If you haven't done so already (which is most unlikely) the details are here:

http://www.blackhart.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/orkney.html
Old 08 April 2003, 19:36   #8

Brian,

Matt (narked) reminded me about 10mins after you posted your original message that it was probably in conjunction with the trip to the top of the country later on in the year. Since I am petrol driven I don't think that for me, the trip would be possible without a hefty bill at the end of it. My current van is also a bit small to be trailing the boat all that way by road too - but, there is always next time
I will definately come out and join you locally though when you do come up, get some snaps etc...

Gary,

I have just booked 4 days leave next week, so with the bank hol on friday, it should be a nice break from work
Definately up for a trip (or trips) out to the islands if the weather is ok. My last rib had a few problems, with tube adhesion to the hull, and I never gained enough confidence to actually leave the river in the end. However, on the new boat, we made it out to Skomer last weekend (see my gallery on my website) from Milford. The total trip distance from Milford, out to Skomer, all the way around, and back again was 30nm, which wasn't too bad, so from a fuel point of view, I reckon Ramsey or Caldey is definately not out of the question. From the heads, everything out there is pretty well new to me, so it's all open for exploration. If you want to get some good hrs in on the engine, you could always go up and down the river a few times..... there are many miles of it at the right stages of tide.....
When you know for sure, let me know, PM or other, and I'll send you my mobile number.

Thanks,

-Alex
Old 08 April 2003, 20:34   #9

Hi Alex

Pity I did not know you were Milford based sooner, we have been down their with a RIB for the last few years, our Ribcraft 4.8.

Done a few trips in the 4.8 so know Milford very well up and down, already done Caldey, Skomer, playing in Jack sound etc but never up to Ramsey so will be different.

Know Steve from the Dive charter at Neyland and helmed his 9.0 out their once when I was thinking about moving up in size and that decided things.

Anyway I will know 100% on Friday so will PM you then and we can set somthing up.

Regrads Gary
Old 08 April 2003, 21:36   #10

Hello Gary,

Oh well.... I haven't had a rib all that long really - only 2 and a bit years, and I'm on my 2nd one already Previous to that, parents have had several hard boats including a Hardy... fine, but no great fun.

I did my L1, L2, and Advanced powerboat courses with Steve and his crew from Pembs Dive Charters.... very good courses. They have some impressive boats, the Ribcraft included - I want one

Will speak to you later on in the week,

-Alex
Old 09 April 2003, 12:53   #11

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
garygee

was it your yellow ribcraft that used to be by the slip in Neyland?

Steve Morgan was explaining that the owner was looking to sell, but I never got the details!

Jon
Old 09 April 2003, 16:40   #12

Yes sure was, that was me.

Last year just to the left of the walkway down on the main pontoon. Yellow tubes, blue hull.

Sold the RIB back to Ribcraft in the end a part ex, not the best price but it was handy.

Regards Gary
Old 09 April 2003, 16:44   #13

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Oh well never mind

I'm looking for something about that size or maybe a bit bigger.

Nothing around my budget tends to turn up at the moment.
Old 12 April 2003, 10:12   #14

Hi Alex, & everyone

Looks like my RIB is turning up, being delivered this Monday on the high tide at Milford Haven about 4.00pm at Hobbs Point.

If you fancy a few trips out Alex, or anyone else drop me a PM or ring me whan we are down Wales on 07729 182853, we are down for a week Monday to Monday.

Also will be bringing the RIB back to Fleetwood via a couple of days at Phewelli. If anyone fancy a trip up, all be it mine will be one way from Milford Haven to Phewelli planned for Bank holiday Monday & Phewelli to Fleetwood via Menai on the following Wednesday let me know.

Oh all trips are weather dependant & I will be taking things slow as will be running in engine.

Also will post a few pics when I get back.

Regards Gary
Old 12 April 2003, 10:31   #15

Hello Gary,

Sounds good... I will give you a call sometime later on Sunday - am out on the water all day with Neyland Yacht Club.

The weather isn't looking too good for tomorrow, but am not sure about Monday. If you are launching on high water on Monday afternoon, I'll bring my boat up and get some pics of you going in.

Juat about to pop out now and go upto Benton Castle and drop anchor for some lunch.

Will speak to you tomorrow.

-Alex
Old 12 April 2003, 17:36   #16

Went out today for a general run in trip up and down the Haven - the video can be found @ http://www.71queenstreet.clara.co.uk...4-03-large.wmv
1st section is looking left at Pembroke Dock, then right at Hazelbeach, and the 2nd and 3rd section is just as we're approaching Petro Plus oil terminal on the way back down river.

There was a small swell at St Annes just picking up - should be pretty good later on when the wind picks upto force 8 which is apparently forecast

-Alex