Old 20 July 2014, 18:57   #41

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
There is a few smaller RIB/SIB's going from Portland, also an FB event page set up. If weather is kind and there are others going from Poole plan to launch at Baiter if conditions not so good will launch at Portland
There are a few codgers like me who do not have Facebook accounts, so my apologies if all of this has been covered there. I would like to come along, and likewise, would think of launching from Poole if the forecast is reasonable. Have never launched at Baiter before. Boatlaunch talks about it being a very shallow slope needing a rope to launch, and it only being 3/4 tide. Anyone know what sort of length of rope you need? I think I have a 10m rope on board. Also what time is HW that day?
Old 20 July 2014, 19:08   #42

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
There are a few codgers like me who do not have Facebook accounts, so my apologies if all of this has been covered there. I would like to come along, and likewise, would think of launching from Poole if the forecast is reasonable. Have never launched at Baiter before. Boatlaunch talks about it being a very shallow slope needing a rope to launch, and it only being 3/4 tide. Anyone know what sort of length of rope you need? I think I have a 10m rope on board. Also what time is HW that day?
Be a trendy owdie and open one.
Old 20 July 2014, 19:42   #43

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Launched there today Buckribster to test the water (so to speak) as I had exactly same thoughts, yep very shallow slip but so shallow we didn't bother with rope! Had to push boat out 10 to 15 metres to launch, when we recovered thought I would need extra long rope but we easily (two of us) pull the boat back to car (5M RIB + 75hp) 5.6 Avon in front of us did the same single handed! 9th August should be similar tides (going to double check my launch/recovery times to be sure) so .... Bit of a faff but straight forward (depending what boat you have) and cheap as chips :-) (£10.50 car and trailer) am really keen to launch for Lulworth there weather permitting so we could buddy up and make it easy?
Old 20 July 2014, 20:25   #44

Sounds good Budgie1. As I also have an Avon 5.6, I guess I should be OK. It is a long time since I have been around Pevril / Anvil headlands, and I know there are a few overfalls off them, so I am hoping for a calm day! Did the Portland / Durdle Door / Lulworth trip (with Bingosucks) last year and loved it.
Old 21 July 2014, 21:22   #45

Town: Poole, Dorset
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Renegade
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175 DF
Hi Buckribster

I used to launch from Baiter. I used a 15m length of rope and found it to be good. As you will cross over the public footpath be aware of cyclists/pedestrians not looking what is going on so when pulling the boat out try to have someone ensuring no one tries to cross the rope, especially when you tighten up.

Also the end of the concrete ramp has caught many people out. It does drop to gravel as I found out launching a 4.8 Ribcraft one time so easily retrieved the trailer when releasing the boat. Also if there is a crosswind it too can be a hassle to recover. I trust this helps.

Regards

Lewey
Old 22 July 2014, 18:45   #46

Chris ... Your advise certainly helps me 👍is the end of concrete slip where the two marks are or is it just guesswork until you learn from mistakes? Also is it doable on spring tides? (5m RIB)
Old 22 July 2014, 21:26   #47

I'll go and measure my longest rope…..

Don't like the sound of the gravel - how low would the tide have to be before it is likely to be a problem?
Old 22 July 2014, 21:32   #48

If we launch together Buckribster we can join ropes together, think I know where gravel starts hoping James will confirm if not I will wade out next time and find it .... Overall it is really shallow but surprised how easily it was providing your prepared to get wet!
Old 22 July 2014, 23:10   #49

Town: Poole, Dorset
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Renegade
Engine: Suzuki 175 DF
Hi budgie1

Yes - the two posts are the location so use the as a guide. I will check the tide for the date in question and come back to you, however a neighbour of mine launches a 6m ribeye from Baiter so you should be ok. I suspect a 10m rope will also be fine. Again be wary as it does get busy with other boats and jet skis. It certainly hones your skills when others are next to you launching and recovering.

Regards

Lewey
Old 31 July 2014, 10:26   #50

Is this going ahead ?

Whose going ?

Where is rendezvous point ?

Timing details etc. ?
Old 31 July 2014, 11:01   #51

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Well I'm intending to go but you are right we need a plan!
If some are launching at Baiter I'm happy to link up and travel to Lulworth in convoy.

Tides permitting (I'll need to check) if we want to get to Lulworth by 12:30 ish and have time to enjoy the Jurassic Coast on the way leaving Poole around 11:00 sounds about right.
Old 31 July 2014, 11:13   #52

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
I'm still looking at this but I'll be coming straight from hamble, I've got to go to cowes first for a change over on holiday home, hope there isn't too much cleaning, then head out after that, as I said before, look out for a yellow cabin rib and say hello
Old 31 July 2014, 12:02   #53

Im also planning Baiter launch Oscarguitar, think Buckribster is as well possibly couple others, your suggested timing sounds good
Old 31 July 2014, 12:37   #54

Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Lulworth RIB raid 9th Aug

Double Post.
Old 31 July 2014, 21:31   #55

Weather permitting I'm still up for this, and launching at Baiter.

Not sure what this tide times are that day, but do we need to time to go round St Albans at slack water?
Old 01 August 2014, 12:05   #56

Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
We're up for this and therefore hope to be launching from Parkstone Bay Marina with Oscarguitar. The only problem is that the tide prevents any return to the Marina between 2.45 and 5.15 (and, consequently, it will also be low tide at Baiter for recovery between those times for those launching there). We might just have to stay longer in the pub!

In weather suitable for the trip, there should be no problem for a 5m+ Rib rounding St Albans at any state of tide - although keeping within 100m of the cliff will ensure as smooth a passage as possible if the race is running. FWIW slack tide of St Albans starts around 4.00pm on 9 Aug and lasts about 30 mins.

David
Old 01 August 2014, 13:21   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
We're up for this and therefore hope to be launching from Parkstone Bay Marina with Oscarguitar. The only problem is that the tide prevents any return to the Marina between 2.45 and 5.15 (and, consequently, it will also be low tide at Baiter for recovery between those times for those launching there). We might just have to stay longer in the pub!

In weather suitable for the trip, there should be no problem for a 5m+ Rib rounding St Albans at any state of tide - although keeping within 100m of the cliff will ensure as smooth a passage as possible if the race is running. FWIW slack tide of St Albans starts around 4.00pm on 9 Aug and lasts about 30 mins.

David
I might disgaree with the statement about "no problem rounding st albans at any state of tide", I guess it depends how bad it can be, I have personal been through the overfalls when it has been very scarry, were talking bow nearly vertical or at least felt like that, so my point is it can be very scary at times, you can go long way round or as suggested keep near to cliff but you have to know how near as there are plenty of rocks.

I would say most of the time its fine going round that bit and through the overfalls and ive been through about a dozen times or more in the last few months, but if it is bad it can be very very nasty for a short period of time. Just a case of see what the weather and tides are doing, if it looks horrible on approach then take inside route or outside route or just turn back. I expect it will be fine that day.
Old 01 August 2014, 13:58   #58

Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
My statement was qualified by the caveat "In weather suitable for the trip .....". I too have been round the head in conditions which would have made turning around part way through a tricky business. Such conditions would not be suitable, I would suggest, for a trip in a 5m Rib unless with an experienced helm.
Old 01 August 2014, 18:21   #59

Since I did OP for this feel obliged to suggest plan based on Avocet/boristhebold welcomed input RV off old Harry 11:30 leaving Lulworth 15:45 (meaning St Albans about 12:00 and 16:15? Looking for some guidance here from more experienced as I will probably be the smallest (5M+75hp) have been vertical and its scary but never been round St Albans)

Just scanned through this post to do a role call of those who have registered an interest

Oscarguitar
Boristhebold
Avocet
Buckribster
Budgie
Going from Poole

Biffer (possible)
Swedishjedi
Going from Southampton

Tumnus
Bingosucks
Going from Portland

Know there are others on the FB page and hopefully more will join us if the weather is good
Old 01 August 2014, 18:22   #60

Forgot Neil Harvey (sorry Neil!)

Tags
rib