Click Here to Login

Old 15 December 2008, 17:50   #21
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
ardlui does have petrol - but might be worth a phone call to check someone will be around if that is the plan.

tarbet - do you mean the esso garage at arrochar or is/was there one in tarbet too? If you mean arrochar its quite a walk (especially with 30L of fuel!). It was open this summer, but is not a 24h job and so on a Sunday between christmas and new year may not be open (I found it shut at 8pm on a friday night to my surprise - which then resulted in a long drive with fingers crossed).
Old 15 December 2008, 21:16   #22

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
ardlui does have petrol - but might be worth a phone call to check someone will be around if that is the plan.

tarbet - do you mean the esso garage at arrochar or is/was there one in tarbet too? If you mean arrochar its quite a walk (especially with 30L of fuel!). It was open this summer, but is not a 24h job and so on a Sunday between christmas and new year may not be open (I found it shut at 8pm on a friday night to my surprise - which then resulted in a long drive with fingers crossed).
Guys as someone who travels the road regularly I can tell you the tarbet garage at the junction has been gone for awhile!
Hope this helps. Enjot your day.
J
Old 15 December 2008, 21:25   #23

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon SR4.0
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Guys as someone who travels the road regularly I can tell you the tarbet garage at the junction has been gone for awhile!
Hope this helps. Enjoy your day.
J
Yip - was over in Kintyre at the weekend so up & down the Lochside and definitely no fuel in Tarbet, and "bit of a walk" to Arrochar.
That's good advice to check on personnel availability at Ardlui - once sat for nearly three hours waiting for a chap who was "on his way". . .from Inverness presumably , and even when he got there wasn't exactly Captain Helpful (or maybe that's just the effect I have on people )

Still up for the 28th though! Both Elder Boglet & gf now fully kitted with "quilts with sleeves & legs" for the sake of their warmth and my sanity. . .

T'bob
Old 16 December 2008, 08:39   #24

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I'm not sure if Inversnaid Hotel serves meals to non residents.
They did when I was there in the summer, but launching at Ardlui was nowhere near as good as the Duncan Mills slip at Balloch
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2008, 08:48   #25

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Yeah, now you are all reminding me, the garage I'm thinking of is probably quite a hike........ I had it in my head it was almost sat on the junction.....

Depending on what happens at the weekend I may chuck in a few extra gallons in along with a bottle of oil & a filler funnel! I am also aware I'm running 1" down on pitch compared to the old Yam that used to drink 30L between Largs & Helendburgh (one way) at 4500rpm, but that Yam was a thirsty machine, and I have no idea how the merc is geared compared to it...

I'll put the extra fuel plan into operation (or not!) after the "economy test" run on Sat.
Old 16 December 2008, 21:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
but launching at Ardlui was nowhere near as good as the Duncan Mills slip at Balloch

Echo this!
Was at Ardlui few months ago - would struggle to launch with a full-size 4X4 let alone a two-wheel drive. Half of it was crumbling and potholed.

Whereas Duncan Mills. . .well. . .bliss
Old 23 December 2008, 18:04   #27
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I'll put the extra fuel plan into operation (or not!) after the "economy test" run on Sat.
How did your testing go? the weather is currently looking good for the 28th - dry, very little wind, but it will be a little chilly!
Old 26 December 2008, 13:20   #28
RIBnet admin team

Just to let you know that I almost certainly will not be joining you on Sunday - other events have taken over and I can't see me being able to make it - I hope those of you that do go have a great time - and be sure to post the pictures.
Old 26 December 2008, 15:25   #29
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
sorry to hear you cant make it.

who else is still planning to go? the weather looks like it could be not to bad.
I will be there 10-10:30 at Balloch.

kev
Old 26 December 2008, 22:37   #30

Hi Kev,

Having problems with the vehicle but hopefully may have a new one for Sunday (fingers, toes, fuel lines crossed etc.)

T'bob
Old 28 December 2008, 17:53   #31

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Testing - went ok, if you call a reliable with no hesitation 3K rpm a success .I am 90% sure it's my spark advance is on the wonk (to use the technical terminology! ) becuse I discovered the locking screw and adjuster were rattling loose whilst out on test.

Unfortunately 3K amounts to about 12 knots, so that combined with various family visits
got in the way of a repair, hence my non appearance this morning, so I may try another trip to Balloch on Tues.... if I can find a timing strobe (Thankfully found timing settings for it at cranking speed so should be able to adjust it in the garage) Also this is the first chance I've had to get to a PC, so couldn't let you know.

Hope it went well for those that made it.
Old 28 December 2008, 18:05   #32

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
We just came back up the road from visiting at Xmas and weren't intending to go out today. However the weather was just too nice and flat.
So a quick blast from Oban down to Easdale for a bite to eat , blast over to the Garvellachs to visit the monastery, across to and through the Corryvreckan and then back up via the Grey Dogs and Fladda to Oban just as the sun set.
Unfortunately both boats on the trip had no camera on board so no pics. had the new Fladen suits on, very toasty and a bargain at around £65 each.
How did the Lomond trip go?
Old 28 December 2008, 21:32   #33
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
G mac and myself turned up but not without problems, seized throttle on one of my engines, then lost carb connecting linkage in the drink. Made up temp repair with fuel hose, unfortunately one of my kids was fed up and cold, so I returned to balloch, but other friend in speed boat went up the loch with G mac, hopefully next time will be better, now need to look for carb linkage.

kev
Old 09 January 2009, 10:28   #34

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
That would have been my brother Andy (A Mac) im stuck down here in Plymouth just now