Old 09 May 2005, 10:56   #361

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Louise,

Dad (Ray) enjoyed the ride on the way up, and Shannon and Jodi loved the trip on the way back - we could see the grins on there faces from our boat

I have a bit more practicing to do in my boat to catch the waves better and give my passengers a smoother ride - however I was trimmed better on the way back, which stopped the sideways lurching I had a couple of times on the way up.

Also, just want to say a big thank you for Andre and the others for arranging a great weekend. Shame about the weather - but as Richard said the other day, big waves wont look as big anymore
Old 09 May 2005, 15:57   #362

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I am sure Farfetched never adopted that extreme nose up attitude of Intrepid.

{If we did, I am glad I did not realise it!!!}

Bruce
Old 09 May 2005, 15:58   #363

A few times I looked back bruce, I could see you at at least the same angle we were there but could see completely beneath your boat!
Old 09 May 2005, 16:12   #364

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
I am sure Farfetched never adopted that extreme nose up attitude of Intrepid.

{If we did, I am glad I did not realise it!!!}

Bruce
Oh yes it did!
Old 09 May 2005, 16:25   #365

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc
I have a bit more practicing to do in my boat to catch the waves better and give my passengers a smoother ride - however I was trimmed better on the way back, which stopped the sideways lurching I had a couple of times on the way up.
Well done for making it BenC....did you say it was your first trip ?
One to remember by the sound of it!

Us
Old 09 May 2005, 16:26   #366

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Bill
Boy, am I glad we towed to LAmpton
Big waves are only 'big' as in the 'big fish that got away'......

It was huge fun, actually, and although there were some jarring crashes as we left Brighton as I practiced the theory of rough weather handling for real on Paul and Harry, the hero was of course the boat. Once Paul took over, and explained a bit more by word and practice what he was seeking to achieve... ahead of the really bad stuff... the crashes reduced in frequency and intensity.

We hardly got wet at all.

I took over again as we approached the Owers knowing if I did not try it then and chickened out I would never ever do it 'for real'. Having Paul as an expert beside me, and a supportive Harry, and with Blue Ice in attendance,
this was as good a 'safe' shot at this size of sea as I was ever likely to get in a 'training' situation.

Actually, it was nothing like as difficult as I expected, although taking attention off the sea even for a moment to watch Blue Ice or Intrepid resulted in either a harsh crash down or some big spray! Powering hard up the waves, and then whipping down almost to neutral as we came off the top off resulted generally in a good landing, and then power on again to full throttle, seeking all the time the gaps in the hills and avoiding the worst of the potholes!

I was amazed that the engine could go from almost neutral to full throttle to back again, again and again and again, wave after wave, with no problems at all. Superbly responsive. And the hull was just fantastic... a nearly dry ride and, once we had worked out how to play the sea, very few hard impacts at all.

Was I scared? ..... the big wave experience I mentioned earlier did cause an adrenalin rush..... I had remembered reading in (wait for it) Rib International that a breaking wave can really cause problems for a rib, so that gem and the power of the engine to swing hard across the wave was indeed 'useful'.

Would it really have been a problem if I had not taken evasive action? Don't know, but I made plenty of other mistakes during the afternoon, and there was never once when I felt the rib was even close to failing to handle the sea, despite my lack of experience. We never had much water in the boat, and I never felt we were even close to a loss of control.

My message from the weekend is - don't try this unless you have supportive friends close by, in your boat and alongside. But I would encourage people to 'have a go' - with support (and RIBnet events are onoe of the ways to gain this support) - you can always turn back as a group with no loss of face and adopt Plan B if it all becomes too unpleasant!

I was truely amazed by what our 6.5M Solent could do.

And the Simmons in their 6M diesel (also a Solent) are the real heros of the trip!
Old 09 May 2005, 16:43   #367

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
From reading the earlier posts the message is the same.

EVERYBODY HAD A GREAT TIME

and that is what ribbing is about

here are a couple of shots of the return to LA of the Welcome party
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RibNet cruise 050a.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	11769   Click image for larger version

Name:	RibNet cruise 051a.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	11770  
Old 09 May 2005, 17:32   #368

Littlehampton Cruise 7/8 May 2005

What an amazing experience! Thanks Ben - thanks André - thanks Louise and Richard - thank you everyone we met - but most of all thank you weather for one of the most thrilling experiences we have ever jumped head first into

Kaz and I were cajoled, persuaded, bribed, even threatened by Ben to undertake the event. Well Ben!! It's our turn! We are going to cajole, persuade, bribe and even threaten you TO LET US GO ON THE NEXT ONE!!

Although we had been out with Ben a couple of times before the trip, we now realise that we had only been in dead calm water on the previous trips. The big water was quite an experience nay, a hell of an experience

I was more fortunate than Kaz because I had been broken in gently (if you can call it gentle) by Richard and Louise in their trés rapide bullet, ”Blue Ice”. Thank you so much for taking Shannon and myself on the outward journey.

We were quite sad at missing the evening event, especially after lunching with some of you and meeting others at the Black Rabbit but, not being used to so much salt in one day, we were exhausted.

Shannon and Jodi both say a massive thank you to Richard and Louise for being so caring and missing the really enormous waves that they saw to the sides, ahead and behind on the eventful return trip.

Here's looking at you Mr Weather - Hope we meet you again soon (hopefully we will have crash helmets and a little better wet weather gear next time).

Good luck all and safe ribbing.
Old 09 May 2005, 18:32   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Well done for making it BenC....did you say it was your first trip ?
One to remember by the sound of it!

Us
It was my first trip of that distance - however have spent longer in the boat... and obviously the harshest seas i've handled (or tried to!).

I am definately looking forward to trying again
Old 09 May 2005, 18:35   #370

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc
It was my first trip of that distance - however have spent longer in the boat... and obviously the harshest seas i've handled (or tried to!).

I am definately looking forward to trying again
Nice looking boat...niiiiice twins too!!!!

Cool family

Catch up with you soon!

Us
Old 09 May 2005, 20:56   #371

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
the hero was of course the boat.

I will echo this,the boat performed very well

Once Paul took over, and explained a bit more by word and practice what he was seeking to achieve... ahead of the really bad stuff... the crashes reduced in frequency and intensity.

I saw richard "tacking" across the waves to lengthen the wavelength but the sea was so confused,the extra speed gained didnt really increase our speed made good,I felt the ride was better but the others on board didnt agree,so I gave up and went back to plodding straight into it.

Having Paul as an expert beside me

Thanks Bruce-but I certainly wouldnt describe myself as an expert,I learnt shedloads

Powering hard up the waves, and then whipping down almost to neutral as we came off the top off resulted generally in a good landing,

This worked very well.
Old 09 May 2005, 21:00   #372

Think I need you out on my boat for a ride Paul

Maybe I can get some tips to
Old 09 May 2005, 21:03   #373

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Love to come out,your boat looks awesome,I wouldnt expect to learn anything though,more the other way around
Old 10 May 2005, 11:09   #374

Town: Crawley
Make: Ribeye / Typhoon
Length: 5m / 2.4m
Engine: Yamaha 80 four stroke
Andre / Phil

Just a note to thank you for all your hard work in organising this event we all had a great time.

Also would like to thank all the other Ribnet members for making us feel so welcome it was a brilliant weekend.

Glad to hear the Solent group were all safely back as it was pretty heavy going just back to Littlehampton.

Peter, Debbie, Anthony and Keith
Old 10 May 2005, 16:41   #375

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Thanks to all for coming along.

It was a really great weekend and one that I will remember for a long time, especially the weather!!

Glad everyone got home safely.

Heres to next year.

Phil

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2005, 08:25   #376
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I've moved the pictures to the gallery here: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9821
John