Old 19 March 2013, 13:50   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
we did the trip a few years ago & enjoyed it there are a couple of free pontoons you can use, one under the bbc building & the other just outside a hotel on the oposite bank I cant remember the name but its just outside the secc I think its called the secc pontoon there are some further up in the city but these werent open when we were up

we stayed our first night on the pontoon under the bbc building but caught one of the local scumbags trying to unzip the canopy in the middle of the night the following night we retreated to the oposite side which being in full view of the hotel reception seemed to be much safer

we spent another couple of night there without incident & obviously there is loads to do & see in the city so we had no trouble filling in 3 days in the city with the kids

an interesting ride up the river & as said earlier a pontoon at the braehead center is available if you realy want a shopping fix

there is a detailed map available from clydeport for navigation which I think was free when we went up but navigation is fairly straightforward just stay within the marked channel on the approach as there is an old training wall which is submerged in places
you also need to call ahead on vhf before you begin your transit up the river

we didnt have an issue with any debris in the river but i guess like all rivers if there has been any recent flooding you will get debris floating down

its an interesting ride up & well worth the trip

lots of info here :| CLYDEPORT |:

Old 19 March 2013, 16:42   #12

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Clyde RIB Raid

Old 20 March 2013, 10:39   #13

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Brilliant pics and thanks again for the info. I have to take the video and pics on my boat as 'my crew' do not share my passion for focus and anti-shake!
Its a brave man that would leave a rib overnight or even unnattended in the city, as just like any city the scumbags are out to take anything not nailed down!

Ralph thanks but dont worry about the waypoints as I like to passage plan when going somewhere different. Thanks anyway though.
Cheers
Colin
Old 26 March 2013, 09:31   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
As an aside, I was at the Riverside museum at the weekend at a low tide. Just as a heads up, there appears to be a pile of rocks approx level with the "waiting shelter" on a line down the middle of the slip. They were poking out about 2" at low (ish) tide, but if you are using the museum side of the pontoons in the Kelvin at low-ish tide, beware your prop!
Old 26 March 2013, 12:59   #15

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Thanks Ralph
I didn't realise that the river got that shallow in the city so I will keep a close eye out for the rocks.
On another note, have you heard if the 70 wild miles is happening this year. Its a shame if it was permanently cancelled as I used to enjoy doing the safety boats and wanted to help again.
Old 27 March 2013, 09:50   #16

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I think the main river is OK, I just spotted the disturbed water out the window as we sat down for a coffee, and by the time we had finished, solid stuff was on view. Just a small location at low tide by a pontoon you probably won't use! Bear in mind the Waverly goes all the way up to the science centre bridge without grounding, and it draws more than a rib!

I believe "s'aaf" again this year. Having booked the day off to do it I'll probably just do SPR's Forth Cruise instead. (see other thread )