Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 May 2013, 17:07   #161
SPR
Trade member
 
SPR's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,066
Davis | WeatherLink - My Weather Page

does this help any live weather from islay?

Davis | WeatherLink - My Weather Page on clyde

isle of mull

Davis | WeatherLink - My Weather Page
__________________
SPRmarine / SPRtraining
RYA Training Courses & Safety Equipment Sales
SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2013, 17:13   #162
Member
 
Portnahaven's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: belfast
Boat name: portnahaven
Make: Red Bay Boats
Length: 7m +
Engine: yamaha 245hp diesel
MMSI: 235089641
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 343
And what pi@@es me off even more, when that deep low moves over a big high settles in, the forecasts are much consistent for calm weather Sun and even better Mon & Tues.
Deep Deep Depression.
__________________

__________________
Portnahaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2013, 17:19   #163
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
does this help any live weather from islay?
Thanks, it's all grist to the mill.

At the heel of the hunt, most of the forecasts are derived from the same data. We'll be taking the worst forecast as our guide. Ultimately the issue is a safe return for boats and crew from Scotland to Ireland with an enjoyable couple of days in between. I had a very sporty passage over last year that I wouldn't wish on anyone else...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 08:28   #164
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 297
Easdale's opinion on the weather

Taking a look at the most recent weather forecast, it certainly is unlikely to be the blue skies and flat calm seas with winds 3mph as was forecast earlier in the week. My favourite weather forecast Theyr has not updated so from the rest my personal prediction is the low is tracking further south than initially predicted and we are likely to have wind speeds to Force5 or 6 and out of the south west.
We accept this is not ideal particularly for a circumnavigation of Jura however we claim the area has plenty of sheltered waters and perhaps now is the time to prove it.
Whatever the weather Easdale is ready for you all. With neap tides there will be plenty of water in the harbour. The Seafari pontoon is clear, there is wall space and of course many of the inside moorings are free. The Easdale Island ferry will be skippered by a member of Seafari. Ted will have our dinghy to assist with transport to and fro.
On arrival at Easdale you are welcome to check in at the Seafari Ticket Office w You can pick up a list of those we know will be attending The list includes phone numbers however your main contact point is the Seafari Ticket Office.
Out on the water may we remind everyone that you are responsible for your own safety. Everyone should wear appropriate clothing including a lifejacket.
We advise RIBs of similar size group together and keep to minimum group sizes of 3.
The aim of Loch Tarbert, Jura remains but we have the alternative plan ready. Craighouse (Jura) may still be viable calling in at KD/Barnhill. Those wishing to view the inner sanctums of Loch Tarbert by foot call in at East Loch Tarbert and the walk is about 1 mile. From Craighouse take a line perhaps via Skerivuile to Crinan, then up the east side of Luing and out through Cuan and back to Easdale.
If the weather is really poor we can dive through Cuan and keep to the sheltered areas inside all the islands.
May we remind everyone of the request to use the south entrance and avoid the area between Easdale and Innish Island.
Evenings
If you are joining us for food on Saturday please remember to book with Keren at the Puffer (01852 300022 or info@pufferbar.com) soonest. Both the Puffer Bar and The Oyster Bar are open throughout.

It just remains for us to wish you a safe journey to Easdale where a warm welcome awaits
__________________
Tony Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 08:52   #165
Member
 
Portnahaven's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: belfast
Boat name: portnahaven
Make: Red Bay Boats
Length: 7m +
Engine: yamaha 245hp diesel
MMSI: 235089641
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 343
Checking the forecasts - wind gusting SW, 30-41 mph in morning and lessens in afternoon to NW 20mph gusting 28. I think it will be too rough for me once past Rathlin in the open water.
__________________
Portnahaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 09:31   #166
Member
 
jumpinjack's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 409
Am afraid gents I am going to pull out at this stage, forecast just too marginal for the weekend for the distances involved!
Gutted as was all set and really looking forward to it!
A blast around the swilly and a pint in ramelton may have to suffice!
Fingers crossed for lslay in a couple of weeks.
__________________
jumpinjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 09:39   #167
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
OK guys. All in all a fairly poxy forecast and whatever changes, it isn't going to be a nice weekend for multiple 80Nm cruises in RIBS...

I certainly don't think it's worth a two day drive to check it out either. I'll contact the other skippers to check their positions.

We might take a drive over to Redbay in the morning on the offchance of a break - maybe pinch a few kitkats, seeing as how the Boss is AWAY


PS - There's still Ardbeg on the 18th
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 09:56   #168
Member
 
Ribochet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
OK guys. All in all a fairly poxy forecast and whatever changes, it isn't going to be a nice weekend for multiple 80Nm cruises in RIBS...

I certainly don't think it's worth a two day drive to check it out either. I'll contact the other skippers to check their positions.
Absolutely agree - so to coin the phrase from Dragons Den - "I'm out as well"
__________________
Maximum Preparation - Maximum Fun
Ribochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 13:03   #169
RIBnet supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 909
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
OK guys. All in all a fairly poxy forecast and whatever changes, it isn't going to be a nice weekend for multiple 80Nm cruises in RIBS...

I certainly don't think it's worth a two day drive to check it out either. I'll contact the other skippers to check their positions.


PS - There's still Ardbeg on the 18th
Yep, I agree also. Too rough and wild. I want to keep the crew coming out with me!
Gutted also - now I better take all the extra gear out of the boat!
__________________
-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
Any meaning read into my message is the product of your own mind...
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 14:02   #170
Member
 
Ribochet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 910
Issued by the Met Office 1528 UTC on Thu 2 May 2013
Mull of Kintyre to Ardnamurchan Point

Strong winds are forecast
For coastal areas up to 12 miles offshore from 1800 UTC Thu 02 May until 1800 UTC Fri 03 May

24 hour Forecast

Wind South or southwest, veering north later, 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8.
Sea State Slight or moderate, becoming moderate or rough. Weather Occasional rain. Visibility Moderate or good, occasionally poor.
Outlook for the following 24 hours:

Wind North backing southwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8, decreasing 4 for a time. Sea State Moderate or rough. Weather Rain at first, and again later. Visibility Good, occasionally moderate
__________________

__________________
Maximum Preparation - Maximum Fun
Ribochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.