Old 12 July 2004, 22:34   #81

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Pete

I'm sure he would be impressed. Then he might change his mind about RIBs?

We better invite him anyway or we'll never hear the end of it !!!

Regards Nick R.

See you at the weekend. Hope the weather is better than its been since you bought that boat. Are you sure they don't call you Jonah ?
Old 12 July 2004, 22:40   #82

Food and Fuel

The Sustanance of life seems to be a slight problem on this trip.

I'm just going to carry plenty of petrol and grub. Both hot and cold food and some beer. It is only planned to be a day trip so I guess we can survive on sandwiches if need be.

I'm just looking forward to meeting some fellow RIBbers, doing a decent jaunt round the IOW and maybe getting a few beers in.

The only decent Meal/Boozing pubs with landing facilities I have found during the last year around the Solent have been the Folly Inn on the River Medina at Cowes and the Ferry at Langstone. Any other suggestions would be glady accepted, but they need to have decent free mooring insight of the boats.

Regards Nick R.
Old 12 July 2004, 22:45   #83

Pete L

Are you down on the island at the weekend ?

Looks like we might be looking forward to some half decent weather !!!

Regards Nick R.
Old 12 July 2004, 23:02   #84

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Just come back from the monthly RIBnet gathering..."Down the Pub" and a suggestion of Alum bay was mentioned for pick-niking. Due to the bulky nature of BBQ equipment and the shear numbers of people involved, might I make the suggestion to have, cold food either shore based (preffered) or afloat if slightly rougher, Alum Bay is Ideal for both, and to have the BBQ and beer on the mainland somewhere. What do you think?

Biggles, I think I'm the only RIBnetter to have ever seen you. Everyone down the Pub said you were rather elusive, are they right?

Andy
Old 13 July 2004, 07:45   #85

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Had a quick look for landing sites at the weekend. There are a number of nice little bays/beaches but it all depends on the wind/wave direction/strength. We eventually ended up anchoring in Whitesands Bay which was a nice little spot just south of Bembridge under Culver cliff. The biggies could anchor off and the littles could beach on sand. There is a small shop on the beach which, I think, sells basic food but I'm not sure on that.

For the smaller boats, I think the main "obstacle" on the trip is St Catherines Point. The chop there can be quite fierce but only for a short time . Best to aim to be there at slack water if possible.

Depending on the tide, you can always nip into Bembridge Harbour and beach just on the left as you go in again on sand. There is definately a cafe there within 50m

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2004, 09:24   #86

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Daniel TD5 carries and supplies the Essex and kent sub 5 metre crews food and drink on our jaunts out, so i suppose it depends on what his wife kelly packs for us for the day

Dan maybe you could invest i a small cooker for the trip and then you'd be able to cook us hot food on the way round, steak and chip springs to mind just as a suggestion though
Old 13 July 2004, 22:27   #87

Elusive

Hi Hightower,

Must admit your also the first RIB Net member I've met face to face. They must have all missed me because the boat is so stealthy !!!!

I've been contributing to these pages infrequently over the last year, and even wanted to go on last years Solent Poker Run, but after making some enquiries felt my boat wasn't really capable.

I also work shifts and up until recently seemed to do most of my RIBbing midweek. Its suprising how few leisure boats you see out at then, even in a busy place like the Solent. You would be lucky to see a couple most of the time although they do seem to come out in the evening. It also meant I was unable to tag along on your weekend events.

Now I have planned to get more weekends off and am starting to meet good people like yourself, although I do miss the emptiness of the midweek Solent at times. It can get a bit hairy when the place is full of very large yachts tacking all over the place.

Anyway nows our chance to meet up.

Regards Nick Reis.
Old 13 July 2004, 22:35   #88

Lunch

I'm going to have a think about the landing sites and choose a suitable one over the next few days.

The easy option would be to take cold food, and if the weather is good then that shouldn't be a problem.

I know the cafe at Bembridge, and we could even have a BBQ on the beach there. Its sheltered, is a fair size for landing boats, but can get busy with sun worshippers and other boats. I also discounted it initially as its near the end of the Round Island trip, and I just fancied somewhere more near the centre of the route.

RIBald thanks for your info on St Catherines point. Is there a particular place to pass that point, for an easier ride, even if we have to go some way out.

If so do you have a waypoint I could apend to the route?

In your opinion is Whitesands Bay a better place to lunch or at Bembridge itself ?

I might take a look there myself this weekend if the sea is kind.

Hightower I also like the idea of Alum Bay, should make for some considered thinking, whilst we eat our grub, prior to rounding the point !

Thanks for all the info.

Regards Nick R.
Old 13 July 2004, 23:02   #89

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
thers always an odd tidal race off st catherines point.
Better just to sit it out for a few minutes than to try and go round it.
Old 14 July 2004, 18:43   #90

Town: southampton
sounds like fun

love too but i am a bit of a chicken newbie. I have been to iow so far last trip Tuesday 14th evening with girlfreind and kids but the silly cow got too scared and now she wont come out to play any more.

regards

mike
Old 14 July 2004, 18:55   #91

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100
love too but i am a bit of a chicken newbie. I have been to iow so far last trip Tuesday 14th evening with girlfreind and kids but the silly cow got too scared and now she wont come out to play any more.

regards

mike
Mike

you had better hope your girl friend does not log on cos I am sure you could find yourself in the dog house and no one to play with at all
Old 14 July 2004, 19:27   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
RIBald thanks for your info on St Catherines point. Is there a particular place to pass that point, for an easier ride, even if we have to go some way out

If so do you have a waypoint I could apend to the route?
We passed about 0.3Nm off the cliffs last weekend. Waypoint is N50 34.234 W1 17.894. This is due south of the lighthouse. Neap tides and the chop only lasted for 2 to 3 mins at 15knts. Not too bad. Wind was SW F4. One area to avoid on the trip from Needles to St Cats is Atherfield Ledges - nasty sharp bits and soooo many pots.

Quote:
In your opinion is Whitesands Bay a better place to lunch or at Bembridge itself ?
Whitesands would not be so busy but don't know about the shop selling food. You can beach/anchor off at all states of tide.

Bembridge beach can get crowded on a nice day and you would be restricted on the entry at LW. Also you may get charged for the privilage of beaching. The cafe does do both cold and cooked food.

On our club jaunts we tend to take "sandwiches & thermos" (as per Red Dwarf ) so we can stop where we want without the need to go ashore.

The close-up dots on the chart show where we went through the race.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StCatschart.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	6966  

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Old 14 July 2004, 19:54   #93

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
bIGGLES

as aother option ventnor habor is very good and is only a couple of miles past St cats and could be a good place to tell tall stories after st cats.

Dan is very helpful in there.

I've been in there a number of times this year and has a number of bars on the sea front.

Paul
Old 14 July 2004, 19:55   #94

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Paul,

Is it any easier getting to shore now? Or do you still have to rely on there being someone there with a SIB?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2004, 20:28   #95

Biggles,

Heres a little route - quite straight forward really
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	6967  
Old 14 July 2004, 21:09   #96

Ahh, another one of those classic passages where the wind was on the nose all the time eh, Paul?

Old 14 July 2004, 21:12   #97

Nope - was planning to following a butterfly - that took many days of computer power and the best brains to formulate this passage
Old 15 July 2004, 03:07   #98

Town: Fareham
Mike, sounds like your in the same "RIB" as mine, but my missus won't even go for a first time!!

Andy
Old 15 July 2004, 06:28   #99

With Regards that route 'The Jackeens' I'd get dizzy or lost trying to follow that..........
Old 15 July 2004, 06:39   #100

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Optimax 150
plus we would all run out of fuel!