Old 04 June 2011, 20:51   #42

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Did anyone go, or even get afloat?
It was blowing ENE down the Solway and we pulled our workers off early in the afternoon at which time it was gusting 27 knots in a wind over tide situation.
Breaking rollers with a very short wave pattern. Water sweeping over the boat, and it is a high boat! I kept looking at the sea and being grateful I had a wheelhouse and a big comfy armchair of a seat to hang on to!

Heard some of Liverpool CG's side of a routine call with "prime rib"-anyone on here ??
Also a dsc all ships allert from Liverpool MRSC for a yacht overdue at Douglas from the R. Alt on Merseyside having left at 3am and whereabouts unknown at 3pm.
Would think it was just a tad unpleasant on the East coat of the IoM
Old 04 June 2011, 22:05   #43

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
We tried but didn't make it, waves were around 2m high when winds picked up.
We got around 4m out from Whithorn bouncing off the tops of waves at a max speed of 8-10knots with what felt like someone constantly throwing buckets of water at us.
At this point knowing the weather report was forecast to be gustier later we decided it wasn't worth it.
We turned and decided to go to into Wigtown bay as we would have made it along to the Solway either and after about an hour of this turned back to Whithorn and pulled the boat back out.
The annoying thing is friday night was flat calm and sunny!
We are going to change plans for next year and camp for a few days rather than putting all the eggs in one basket for the saturday, will take dive kit and do a day or two diving as well.
On the way home we launched at Girvan and took a run out to Ailsa craig for the hell of it. Had a nice 20ish knot run out, the wind blew up and made about 8 knots back in a howling sea of chop. At this point we gave up and came home.......
The only reassuring thing about the decision to abort was that we met a RIB from the IOM coming into Whithorn as we returned having just came across from Douglas, he was a bit bigger than us at around 7.5-8m or so with twin inboards. He just made it having had a very bad crossing including being pooped and having the boat filled to the top of the tubes plus losing two liferings from the A frame on the way across. They were absolutely drenched! He said the conditions were very bad all the way across.
Maybe next year.......
Old 04 June 2011, 22:41   #44

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Bruce sorry you did not make but you definately made the right decision. As a matter of interest which slip did you use at Girvan and how was it ok?
Billy
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2011, 23:13   #45

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I used the one on the North bank beside the CG, thought it was fine if a bit steep for a normal car possibly
Old 05 June 2011, 07:53   #46

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
yes you are so right, it is a pain far to steep and at low tide is covered with slime so you have to use a rope for recovery. It was built by the council without to much thought when they redeveloped that corner. Glad you got so ribbing did you actually make the Craig as thought from your post that you may have turn back. I am up in Tay this week but glad my home town was helpful to you. So I take it boat fine no?!
Cheers
Billy
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 08:25   #47

Town: manchester
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin yam 315
Hi all we made it across from holyhead was not a good trip but had a good day at ramsy
Old 05 June 2011, 09:48   #48
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Cyman and I went down to Douglas harbour at about 10ish. The only rib we saw coming in was one from Loch Fynne with 13 peeps on board, whom we lifted up in groups, to the grandstand for the TT.
We waited till about 1300ish to see BruceB, who, as we now know couldn't make it. Sorry Bruce !

Later in the day I went down to Peel Harbour on my bike and saw 6(?) ribs from N. Ireland who had come across from Portaferry. They left in the teeth of the wind, precariously perching chip suppers on their knees looking very happy! I suspect one or two of them had had one for the road, hence looking happy going forth in those conditions.
Old 05 June 2011, 10:39   #49

Town: Lochgilphead
Boat name: Fyne Pioneer
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 200HP Evinrudes
Hi,

A big thank you to Brian and Cyman for giving us a lift up to the Grandstand, we made it across in 3 hours from Fleetwood in the morning with the wind picking up, however when we came to leave at 5:30, there seemed to be a slight break in the weather and we made it back in just over 2 hours. The only down side was having to come out and sleep on the boat on the Friday night due to the tide and then not being able to get back in till midnight on Saturday... Still a pizza soon sorted that.. Brian, Cyman if you are up in the Loch Fyne area at all let us know and I will get you both a pint if I am around. Wavelength, the over due yacht turned up just as we were leaving.

Regards
Simon
Old 05 June 2011, 20:38   #50

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
erratic weather this weekend. Windy again with a n'easterly blowin out of the solway. But whilst it was blowin a hoolie for us a dsc alert from Lpl CG told of a 40ft yacht with a dodgy engine that was BECALMED 20miles away between St Bees Head and the IoM.
Old 06 June 2011, 09:15   #51

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Wicked Lady
Engine: 150 evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
Hi Nick2908. Unfortunately I am unable to make the trip that's already in my diary! I'm really annoyed about it but can't do anything about it. The weather looks like it may pick up at last this weekend!
Last year we went out of Ardglass and went round the Calf of Man and up to Douglas. Willk said he knew where he was going so we all followed him! Not that we had much choice since it was so foggy we just about could see each other! Even at that I got lost once on the way home and just managed to find a wake to follow - thankfully it wasn't the Liverpool ferry!

Good luck and enjoy if you do go.
Tony,
Didn't go in the end as felt weather was to unpredictable. Being a newbie, didn't fancy putting up with moaning passengers! Perhaps next year!
Old 10 June 2011, 13:20   #52
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2908 View Post
Tony,
Didn't go in the end as felt weather was to unpredictable. Being a newbie, didn't fancy putting up with moaning passengers! Perhaps next year!
Yep the sea was very choppy and you wouldn't just know for that distance. Hopefully we'll get an Irish contingent together next year.