Old 15 January 2003, 17:53   #141

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally posted by Bern Hanreck

How would you suggest that I can convince my better half that jockey seats are likely to be more comfortable than a bench seat without actually giving her a sore back/backside or even a dunking ?
Take her on a bench seat and spin the boat on its own axis first clockwise then anticlockwise and see how she feels about sliding from side to side and getting battered ribs then put her on the jockey seat and do the same manouvre to see the difference.

In the meantime the rest of us will retire to a safe distance to enjoy the show

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2003, 17:57   #142

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Mstacey

Everybody is very welcome to Greece if they want to come for the summer to change the scenery. Once you try it, I bet you will not go RIBing in the UK ever again.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2003, 17:59   #143

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Manos,

Could one charter a RIB in greece for a week?

Daniel
Old 15 January 2003, 18:02   #144

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Daniel

There is only one compnay that does it
MOSTRO. But I think they charge a fortune per day.
If you are interested I'll ask them or if you prefer this is their web site

www.mostro.gr

Their inflatables are OK but not anything fancy.
Old 15 January 2003, 18:22   #145

Manos,

Thanks - had a look @ the site (mostly in english, phew) and would appreciate you finding out the cost (daily and weekly) of charter - not a serious idea, but an idea never-the-less.

Daniel
Old 15 January 2003, 18:24   #146

Town: West Sussex
Re: UPDATE

I have had a lengthy chat to Mr.Tony Saunders the harbourmaster for Mayflower Marina; he has been most helpful and will make every effort to accommodate all our ribs. [/B][/QUOTE]

Charles

I have made my hotel arrangements in the Invicta Hotel arriving Friday 9 May I will tow my Seahawk to Plymouth and most probably will want to launch Saturday morning but if we arrive early then will launch friday. The length of my rib is 6.3 mtr.

If anyone is still considering the Invicta then please hurry not many rooms left for that weekend . A double room is £60.00
I will be arriving with my wife both proudly wearing our Ribnet polo shirts.

Andre
Old 15 January 2003, 18:31   #147

Daniel

Will give them a ring 1st thing tomorrow see what they say and let everybody know.
Old 16 January 2003, 12:23   #148

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Well it appears I have myself a shipmate for the trip from Exmouth down to Plymouth for the meet in May.

Welcome aboard Bern.

Anybody else what to join us.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2003, 12:40   #149

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Plymouth

Afternoon

If I get the time I will be coming by sea from Lymington so we could organise to meet on route some where. I'll let you know for sure if I can make it and if I can if any one wants a lift from Lymington they are more than welcome.

Julian
Old 16 January 2003, 14:13   #150
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
If the Invicta Hotel becomes full (and it seems to be filling fast!!) there is an alternative.

Right next door is another place called the Cranbourne Hotel:

www.cranbournehotel.co.uk

it seems very nice and is an attractive, well-kept establishment. I didn't persue making an arrangement with them, however, as they had no meeting room for our slide-show.
(In the Invicta we are taking over the whole of the dining room for our meal and meeting-it's ours for the whole evening.)

The Cranbourne could offer you a very convenient alternative, accomodation-wise, to the Invicta as they are bang next door and you therefore will not have too far to stagger.

Er, Charles. I don't think you mentioned the meal, did you?
Old 16 January 2003, 14:29   #151

the meal?

I assume the meal is not included in the quite reasonable rate they quoted me for the room - is this to be booked at a later date?

Daniel
Old 16 January 2003, 14:55   #152
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Top Organiser Man, Charles, seems to be unaccountably absent from his post at the moment so I will try and answer for him.

The Meal

The Hotel normally charges for groups to use their conference room. (This is usually about £100).
However, if some/most/all of us agree to eat a set meal in their dining room, they then do not subsequently charge, at all, for the continued use of the room for a function. This is pretty standard practice in most of the hotels I have used.
Soooooo, what I did was to ask them to put together a simple, three course meal, with two choices per course, and unlimited tea and coffee afterwards for £15 a head which they have done.
I HOPE that a sufficient number of us will take this up, as it then saves us mucking around for a whipround for the room hire.
It also saves (the not inconsiderable) hassle of trying to find a restaurant that;
everybody likes
we can all agree to go there
we can agree to be at a certain time
the restaurant can take our booking (remember this is a Saturday night during the start of the tourist season!)
etc etc etc

My humble suggestion then is:
for all people booked in at the Hotel, we will ASSUME that you will also dine there UNLESS YOU STATE OTHERWISE.
Those who have not booked into The Invicta, but would like to join us for a meal please tell Charles and me so that we can get you fed.
My guess is we will all have been playing on the water in the afternoon and by the early evening, back at the hotel we will all be hungry and thirsty (though not necessarily in that order). So we will just want to check-in shower/wash, grab a beer, sit down and start noshing, rather than have to traipse off looking for somewhere else.
Old 16 January 2003, 17:01   #153

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Jeez, thanks Brian, saved my bacon. I assumed (never assume, I hear you say) that we were all eating at the Invicta as this is what I discussed with Betty 9the proprietor). The cost of the hotel room is bed and breakfast. I agree with absolutely everything you say Brian. If we have to start arranging restaurants, transport etc, etc it will only lead to tears.

E-mail from Angela from Mayflower Marina:

'Dear Mr. St.Clair-Bolam,

Further to your recent enquiry we are pleased to confirm that we shall be able to accommodate your RIBs during the weekend of 10th and 11th May 2003.

A discount of 10% will be offered against our visitors berthing tariff and trailer parking will be free of charge for those who require it.

There is a free public slipway at the end of Richmond Walk (not usable at all states of the tide). Should any of your members require use of our hoist charges will be at our published rate.

If you would like to forward me your address I shall send you a copy of our 2003 Year Book which includes all of our charges.

We would appreciate a list of expected participants about 3 weeks before the event so that we may make the necessary arrangements. As to the weather, we shall do our best but make no guarantees!

Regards

Angela Rhodes
Office Manageress
Sailport Plc

Good people hey?!
Old 16 January 2003, 18:12   #154
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
They are nice people, and Angela pretty easy on the eye as well!

Security there is v. good. 24-hour multiple recording CCTVs, 24 hour security staffing etc.

There is a small chandlery that also does sandwiches etc. on-site marine engineering (may not be open Sunday), and a restaurant which I have never been brave enough to try (looks posh and serves sea food. I don't like either). Also 24 hour diesel, petrol and LPG on the pontoon.

One thing to beware of is speed limits. 4knots inside the marina and 10 (from memory) until you get south of Devils Point. When speeding you get picked upon by (armed!) MOD police ribs. Not to be recommended. To be totally safe, it is best to only open up past Point No. 1 on my map above. This map doesn't show it, but at that point, known locally as The Bridge, there are pairs of red and green marker posts indicating the safe passage through the submarine defence barrier.
Old 16 January 2003, 18:53   #155

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Charles,

I hope you have recieved my E mail with boat/car details.

I hope to stay at the Invicta aswell if I can still get a room!

Brian, can you publish the details of the overnight lauching/berthing fees and if possible cost of fuel at the mairina. Just so I know how many beer tokens to bring with me

many thanks
Old 16 January 2003, 20:45   #156
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Aging Youth

I can only give you partial answers at the moment, I am afraid.

Launching
Assuming you use the public slip, just past the marina entrance, then launch/ recovery is free.
If you want them to crane your rib off your trailer, and lower to the water level.......?? I don't think so !

Berthing
Last S/W Cruise I seem to remember being charged £12 for the night.

Petrol
Sorry can't help. Diesel man myself. Har har har.
At a guess I would say 4/5/6p per litre over forecourt prices.
Old 17 January 2003, 07:31   #157

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Brian,

Thank's for the reply, Diesels are dirty smelly things
Ha! Ha1.

As some people will be wearing there Ribnet "T" Shirts. Could the gentleman who organised the order if you are going to be in Plymouth bring some with him. Extra Large!

Cheers
Old 17 January 2003, 08:12   #158

Town: Newfoundland
Advice!

A tip for those trailing petrol engined boats down to Plymouth. Fill up the boat with fuel at one of the petrol stations on the A38 between Exeter and Plymouth. They all have lots of room for manoeuvering trailers.

Don't do what I did last year and wait til you get to Plymouth as there are few petrol stations on the route to the marina and the one we managed to find was very tight for a 7.5m RIB on a trailer!

The road down to Mayflower is quite narrow in places but OK if you are careful. The Slip is just past the marina and the flats on the left. Access HW+/- 4hrs or so depending on boat size. No foot access via the waterfront to the marina so you have to take the boat round by sea and get your crew to drive the car back to the marina (not far).

Alan
Old 17 January 2003, 08:21   #159
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Aging Youth
As some people will be wearing there Ribnet "T" Shirts. Could the gentleman who organised the order if you are going to be in Plymouth bring some with him. Extra Large!
You can order them online -- see this thread

John
Old 17 January 2003, 10:34   #160

Coinidentaly or not...

According to my tiday prediction program HW @ Plymouth (Devonport) on the 10th is midday exactly (GMT) so i can't see launching on the slip beeing a problem for anyone, even those keen and arriving at about 9am.

I don't anticipate the M4 convey arriving quite this early, but naturally we'll want to get there in time to get on the water for as long as poss.

Daniel