Old 14 August 2013, 12:50   #101
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Excellent video for everyone to watch and understand what happens if they are called. Interesting the highline was brought in and no gloves worn- was that an issue?

The noise is one clear problem for comms as coastguard was shouting in everyones ears to be heard, imaging trying to use a radio/handheld.
Old 14 August 2013, 13:14   #102
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Excellent video for everyone to watch and understand what happens if they are called. Interesting the highline was brought in and no gloves worn- was that an issue?
The original thought was to bring the high line into a bucket to keep it organized, but I'm glad we didn't bother with that. A bucket would have just got in the way, and I was able to keep it reasonably tidy on the deck so nobody got tangled up In any case, there were times when the line came in quick and I had to rush, so dumping it on deck was the only practical option while keeping an eye on the winchman/winch operator.

I didn't use gloves because I had none with me at the time , in retrospect it would have been a good idea because, again, at times the line was being pulled out so quickly I had to let it slip through my hands, and while it didn't burn on the day, the possibility was there.

It took quite some effort to pull the winchman/whisper across and onto the boat. I had brace myself against the rib seat, and lead the line around the back of my arm to get a decent grip on a couple of pulls, always mindful that the heli could pull away at any time so not to wrap it around anything.

When cold and wet you would definitely want suitable gloves to be able to do a decent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
The noise is one clear problem for comms as coastguard was shouting in everyones ears to be heard, imaging trying to use a radio/handheld.
Yes, for sure. In this exercise we had a simple task and knew what was going to happen. The shouting/handsignals worked out fine. In a fearful and confused situation, trying to understand and follow CG instructions would be a real issue.